College Football Playoff Contenders

Home Forums StateFans Football College Football Playoff Contenders

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

There have been enough games played to begin seeing how the college football playoff race may shape up. We’ll have to wait until Nov. 3 to get the selection committee’s first ranking, but here are your top contenders:

Utah
    Baylor
    LSU
    Ohio State
    Alabama
    TCU
    Clemson
    Florida State
    Michigan State

Wulfpack
    Participant

The new AP is out. Here’s how the ACC stacks up:

6. Clemson
    9. FSU
    11. ND
    23. Duke
    25. Pitt

Others Receiving Votes: UNC

Texpack
    Participant

Nice series of elimination games to follow.

TCU/Baylor
    Clemson/FSU
    Alabama/LSU
    OSU/MSU
    Utah/Stanford

Somebody gets left out again. tOSU is unlikely to run the table. They have to beat Michigan, MSU, and win the Conf champ game.

TCU, Baylor and OU all have to go to Stillwater. The Pokes may not win the Big 12, but they will have something to say about it.

Clemson and FSU both still have to get by State.

Alabama vs LSU should be good

Stanford could be this year’s Ohio State

Wulfpack
    Participant

I forgot about Stanford, Tex. They lead the Pac 12 North at 4-0, but they still have Cal, Oregon and ND on the slate (and Utah in the championship game). That’s quite a road to hoe, but you are right that they are certainly in it.

As much as like Sparty, they are still a notch below these others. They are squeaking by and I do believe Ohio State is the much better team and will prove that on 11/21.

LSU and Bama are both very good. They meet up in 2 weeks with the West on the line. LSU still has to go to Ole Miss and has A&M on the schedule as well.

Yes, we’ll get our shot against Clemson and FSU. Clemson still has the chickens (in Columbia) and FSU the Gators to get by at the Swamp. Florida looks better than FSU right now.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Clemson will be moving into the Top 5. Utah and FSU fall out of contention. The contenders are:

Baylor
    LSU
    TCU
    Clemson
    Bama
    Ohio State
    Michigan State
    Stanford

Wulfpack
    Participant

Clemson is up to #3.

Wulfpack
    Participant

A bunch of these guys were off Saturday, and Stanford barely gets by Wazzou. But need to add in Notre Dame, Iowa, Florida and Okie State as potential dark horse candidates that could sneak up on the pack. First rankings released this week. It’ll be interesting to see how high Clemson is. They probably have the most impressive resume thus far, with FSU looming next week.

Texpack
    Participant

In Order
    Clemson
    LSU
    TCU
    Ohio State
    Baylor – They won’t make it
    Okie State
    Mich State
    Bama
    Memphis – really should be ahead of all of the one loss teams

Wulfpack
    Participant

LSU???

Wulfpack
    Participant

First official rankings:

Clemson
    LSU
    Ohio State
    Alabama
    Notre Dame
    Baylor

highstick
    Participant

Proof that the new format is a joke…Seriously, Clempson #1? Based on what?? Orange uniforms and hype?

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Wulfpack
    Participant

Based on their win over #5 Notre Dame and their dismantling of just about everyone else in their stead. The committee chairman basically said they are the top ranked team because they are the most balanced to date.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Stick…

OBC was spotted earlier this week sitting on the porch at the Dead Peter Club in Hilton Head ….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tjfoose1
    Participant

Not that ‘Stick has a bias or anything.

Texpack
    Participant

Clemson and LSU were locks in the minds of most people.

The placement of Bama and ND were the biggest surprises to me.

Memphis has a real shot at making the top four. They still have Navy Houston and Temple. They would get Temple a second time if they win out. The AAC West is better than the SEC East.

The Big 12 will be decided in Stillwater in all likelihood as TCU, Baylor, and Mobilehoma all visit the Pokes. An undefeated Big 12 team would appear to be a lock at this point unless they invoke the Bama / LSU do over rule for the loser of that game.

An undefeated BIG team looks to be a lock as well.

BJD95
    Keymaster

UGH, Notre Dame is getting in unless f-ing Stanford beats ’em.

Wulfpack
    Participant

TCU out.

Okie State making a big move north.

Clemson validates the #1 ranking with a 10 point win over the Noles.

Other winners are Baylor (Thursday), Notre Dame, Florida (barely), Iowa and Stanford.

LSU/Bama, Ohio State and Michigan State in action now.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Navy sends Memphis out.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Bama pounds LSU. Sparty loses to Nebraska. Things are coming into clearer focus. The top four will be:

Clemson
    Bama
    Ohio State
    Notre Dame

Then:

Baylor
    Okie State
    Stanford
    Iowa

Wulfpack
    Participant

Forgot to add in Florida to the next four. But Bama will take care of them in Atlanta.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Down a rabbit trail…..

Dan Wetzel writes for yahoo.sports and attacked the BCS system at every opportunity, generally with as few facts as humanly possible. Now that we have a playoff that he always argued for, he is taking pot shots at the selection committee for their mid-season rankings. His choice of wronged teams? Memphis of course. (oops!)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/merit-of-cfp-selection-committee-hinges-on-ranking-of-a-single-team-155138630.html

I would quote some key lines from his rambling attack….but it rambles so much that you have to read the whole thing to see how disjointed it is. It appears that Wetzel has developed his shtick…he is going to attack whatever process college football uses and champion the underdog no matter what. Several years ago, an undefeated Hawaii was “overlooked” for the BCS championship game and was utterly destroyed in the Sugar Bowl. I dread the thought of what idiots like Wetzel will be spewing when an undefeated team with no real resume is left out of the playoffs.

But buried in his drivel, Wetzel does have one point worth discussing. He doesn’t want mid-season rankings released because there are so many key games left to play. For me, the mid-season rankings don’t mean a whole lot, but they are worth releasing because it gives a static target for people to comment on. If the committee members bother to read the commentaries that will follow every week, there is at least a faint possibility that they may hear/read something that they haven’t thought of. If you’re more concerned with “getting it right”, than in just “being right”, then open discussion can only improve the process.

Wulfpack
    Participant

There are some knockout games so I’m not concerned. Basically, if Clemson, Bama and Ohio State win out they are getting in. The fourth could be tougher to decide. Notre Dame being in the mix could complicate things.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Updated official college football playoff rankings:

1. Clemson
    2. Alabama
    3. Ohio State
    4. Notre Dame
    5. Iowa
    6. Baylor

Texpack
    Participant

An undefeated Big 12 team would have a strong case to get in over ND. I can’t see ND holding them off. Even 11-1 OU would have a case. I’m pulling for the Pokes. They got screwed royally by the SEC do over rule a few years back so I hope they get a shot this year.

My other interest is to see the Coogs make it to a NY6 game. Memphis is the next obstacle.

tjfoose1
    Participant

An undefeated Big 12 team would have a strong case to get in over ND. I can’t see ND holding them off.

I’m pretty sure that’s a unanimous consensus, at least all the talking heads seem to say so.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.