College basketball – hardly watchable

Home Forums All StateFansNation College basketball – hardly watchable

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    ancsu87
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>highstick wrote:</div>
    That was not the rule “even in Iowa where they still play it”..It was 6 players, 2 rovers who could cross mid court. Believe it or not, that was the way it was played until I was “long out of high school in North Carolina”…

Are you sure it was never played that way anywhere? Because that’s what I was told by someone who played. In NC.

Yes he is correct

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^I am thinking both of ya’ll are right…

seems to me that at the younger ages… it was 3 on each end of the court …
    and in HS it was 2 – 2 – 2…

I’ll ask my sister… she played 3 yrs varisty in HS back in early ’70s…
    next time I see her…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    PackerInRussia
    Participant

“Adam Woodbury poked Kaminsky and Nigel Hayes’ eyes tonight, and neither looked accidental. It was actually pretty annoying to watch, and hopefully McCaffery punishes Woodbury. Bush league play there …”

Ah, the ol’ 3 Stooges defense. I’m sure a cream pie came flying in within seconds.

On the subject of defense and fouling, I’ve thought that fouls should be called similar to in hockey. When there’s an on-floor foul, the ref’s hand goes up to indicate a foul has been committed, but play continues until the team scores or the other team gets possession of the ball in which case the whistle blows and the outcome of the foul is assessed (free throw if in the bonus or ball returned to the team fouled for an in-bounds pass at the spot of the foul). It’s sort of like NBA continuation, but it goes much further. Like someone mentioned, it doesn’t seem fair that a team should be rewarded for committing a foul (i.e. bumping a person who has a free run at the basket b/c you played poor defense, thus negating the likely points and making them pass the ball in or have to hit free throws. Thus, the likely points become less likely.) Of course it brings up lots of potential difficulties, such as what if the offense commits a foul or loses the ball out of bounds or something. In other words, are they playing completely with house money sort of like off-sides in football? But since it’s just an idea thrown out for fun on an internet message board, I don’t have to spend time thinking about all of that 🙂

pakfanistan
    Participant

^I am thinking both of ya’ll are right…

seems to me that at the younger ages… it was 3 on each end of the court …<br>
    and in HS it was 2 – 2 – 2…

I’ll ask my sister… she played 3 yrs varisty in HS back in early ’70s…<br>
    next time I see her…

What I was told would have come from the 40’s.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I’m not saying it didn’t happen, but I would think the 5 on offense, 5 on defense would be unrealistic based simply on logistics (especially in the first half of the century); as in it would be difficult to get enough girls to field teams especially in rural areas (most counties had more community high schools than now and all the schools were segregated).
    Oh, and my only experience with organized basketball was that I played JV basketball at a private school in rural NC in the 80s. The JV girls coach asked a couple of us guys to help with some 5 on a 5 drills/scrimmage since he had some girls out with the flu. I volunteered and practiced with them for about 20-30 minutes. It was the roughest form of basketball I have been involved in.

highstick
    Participant

I can’t vouch for pre 50’s. Shame my motherbin law is no longer around. I think she played aT Meredith. And I honestly did not pay attention in the 70’s. Will have to get a historical perspective from my friend in Iowa. I might get my AD friend over at Winthrop to check the archives cause women have been playing roundball there a
    long time.

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

highstick
    Participant

6 on 6 started being phased out in 1958 by the Office of Civil rights and it took 37 years. Oklahoma and Iowa were the last, I think. I wasn’t even thinking about the 2 dribble rule. There was a New Jersey variation.

highstick
    Participant

5 on 5 started in 1971 in NC…History of the rules in NC is on the web..

Rick
    Keymaster

I have all but quit watching basketball. Anyone who thinks what UVA does is actual defense does not know the rules of basketball.
    It makes watching a game painful. The beauty and flow of basketball has been stifled.
    Against UVA the lane is a briar batch. You cannot go into it without getting stuck.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.