Coaching carousel 2017

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Coaching carousel 2017

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Whiteshoes67
    Participant

On the coaching front, personally, I like Miller due to his age, track record, and experience. Pony up for a long term contract with a relatively low base, heavy on incentives, and room for base growth. Pony up.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Just curious, where is the contract extension for AD Yow chatter coming from?

She has been pretty straight forward in her career Comments.

I saw it first in an article at Pack Insiders they said it was a rumor but interestingly enough the article has now been pulled from their site as far as I can tell.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Comment on my “Gottfried” a bad investment. I did NOT (and don’t have the info) add in the revenue for going to the “dance” that Gottfried has brought in. SO, it might NOT look as bad.

BUT, if you also assume that Coach Sendek DID bring in Revenue for such, then Coach’s Lowe’s performance actually HURT the program in other ways.

Bottom line, the attendance GAIN was not substantial…..especially from a coach that can “Quip with the best of them”. He has not been the Marketing Savior that one would have thought.

Like the previous commenters, I spend about $200 – $300 or so on “NCSU Merchandise” each year. That is for me and family and GK’s. This year, we cut back. Likewise, I am NOT going to purchase a Reynolds Tile, which I had planned.

The impact of having a great pool of talent and not producing results eventually impacts the “Brand” value….which AD Yow has done a GREAT job of “selling”. By consolidating it and getting it controlled by the AD, we get more bang for the buck.

ORW and the Hat and many other schools use the coach’s “draw” and let them negotiate their own contracts. All NCSU marketing is centralized….I think that is better….but some may differ.

foz
    Participant

For those more knowledgeable than me, any thoughts on LeVelle Moton??

packbackr04
    Participant

so Gott and Anya had words at practice? this is going down fast. Yow better have her $hit together

Mike
    Participant

Lavelle Moton is a fantastic coach! I think it would be a major upgrade. He does not take any mess, he teaches the game, and he reaches the kids. Someone will hire him away soon and be very happy.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I guess Moton would be a reasonable “Plan C” but I don’t think anyone would be super excited about it.

Mike
    Participant

BJD, only because most people have not heard much about him. The guy can flat out coach and would be the diamond in the rough looking to make a big move and raise. He whipped us for sure a couple years ago.

wolfpack92owen
    Participant

Lavelle Moton

He is a good coach and would be here in a new york minute if given the chance. He is a no nonsense kind of guy but the kids seem to love him.

choppack1
    Participant

I would prefer someone who had better experience.

He would have an incredibly steep learning curve.

He needs to get out of Durham asap so he can get different experience and it doesn’t become stale.

And I also hold a grudge because his last name is very similar to the Pain from Rayne.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

A decent MEAC coach promoted to an ACC school? That’s not likely. At least I hope not. We better be thinking bigger.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

We better be thinking bigger.

There’s some wishful thinking.

BassPacker
    Participant

Not Time for project or assistant coach to head coach move. Time for an experienced, bigger hire is only way out of this mess. I think Archie Miller fits that category. He has the head coach experience and after seeing what Gott put on the floor last nite, a bigger hire. Not been one to favor the family hire but think Miller has the credentials to warrant such a hire. And AD Yow should not be a negative in making a Miller Move. Wishful thinking perhaps…..

packbackr04
    Participant

its got to be Miller with a very long contract so that he is comfortable with the new AD coming in 2 years.

duckfatrules
    Participant

its got to be Miller with a very long contract so that he is comfortable with the new AD coming in 2 years.

is it really Miller or bust? Is there anyone, short of coach K or R Pitino, on the list above Archie?
    is he at the top of everyone’s list? I know it is not a slam dunk, but are there any negatives?
    I wish someone would put together a complete ranking of who we could get or should look at:
    what about Archie Miller with Bobby Lutz as an assistant? was Lutz forced out or did he leave on his on? (jumped/pushed).
    is prior head coaching experience a prerequisite for our coach?
    in fairness to Keatts in the article in another thread, I watched Dayton the other night against URI and I saw Flyers jacking up some controversial threes without running any type of offense also. Dayton did win the game though.

duckfatrules
    Participant

I also think Debbie Yow created this mess, she should clean it up before she leaves.

Adventuroo
    Participant

From an assistant MBB coach. Lutz and his “ex staff”…if you read the resumes of the original coaches, Early and Moxley were Lutz guys….

Lutz and the Ex-Lutz assistants had a “come to Jesus” meeting with Coach over his off court prowling. No idea if Dunlap or the other UCLA guys were involved. It was NOT pretty. AD Yow jumped in and called in FOUR folks. One was HC and the other was a former NCSU Player of esteem….and THEIR wives. She read the riot act to them and things cooled off a bit.

Fast forward….things went south as to Gottfried’s marriage, as well as the former NCSU Star’s Marriage….TWO divorces.

During the 2015-16 season, there was a major blow-up (at least 4 or 5 times) during practice between Gottfried and Lutz. Shouting matches that shut down practice. The following comes from an email from Lutz.

thanks for the kind words. Gottfried fired me. Debbie kept me on until I was vested (later in 16) in the NC Retirement system, then I was cut loose.

Gottfried appeared, in the Reynold dedication, to have a younger Trophy GF in tow. His AFib issues corrected. He lost weight. WHAT has happened since then to his focus and his GF relationship…I have NOT a clue. His GF and an assistant coaches wife DID create a little scene at the PNC this year also…so WHO KNOWS???

It is DRAMA like this that keeps the program from being focused….It DOES seem like the staff and the team have totally fallen apart and that each is just going through the motions until the end of the season. The Anya incident and Dorn and Smith’s comments are pretty telling….the WP MBB Family is NOT a happy place.

DY hired Gottfried, and I am SURE….as was Elizabeth, that he promised to be faithful…..but HE crossed the line. I know that DY has personally had him in several times and told him to “cease and desist” (I was told of at least THREE incidents).

Maybe she should have just fired him the first time it was obvious that he was back up to his old tricks…

BUT, he was winning at that point. His first year extension was an automatic for the Sweet 16. The raise at the beginning of the 2015/16 season…..GOD ONLY KNOWS????

No idea WHAT will happen. I think he will be gone, but would not bet a fifth of Crown Black on that.

Really feel sorry for the players who have not been coached as they should. We had a plethora of talent, young in some cases, but not coached in basic Defense. Lutz might NOT have been the defensive guru he was paid to be, but look at us THIS year versus in the past. THERE is a pattern….

Bringing him back is NOT an answer. Whoever comes in has to bring in THEIR own folks….that is the way it is. Gottfried hired Lutz and Lutz’s assistants to hit the ground running….and it worked for awhile….but THEN Gottfried lost focus of his role as COACH and it has been ugly eversince….

StateRed44
    Participant

I remember reading Early was with Gott at Alabama. I think his leaving was given as one of the reasons for Gotts tailspin down there.

duckfatrules
    Participant

I was banned for life for bringing up this topic on PackPride. thanks for the reply

Pack78
    Participant
Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.