Coaching 101: Post Game …

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Coaching 101: Post Game …

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok-

Coach in the post game fluffer… and Turner too… talked about how we GOTT to play 40 minutes and that we only played 20 (the second half )… GOTT made a special point to say how “bad” we played in the first half…

Now I wondering if I’m watching the same game they’re watching…
    Either that or Coach has difference expectations…

As I posted in the Game thread… I thought we played 37 minutes of solid ball and only had one ‘bad’ 2-3 minute stretch…

At the half, we let them run out a bit the last two minutes of the first half and we down three baskets, but we shot more, had more possessions, had more rebounds and we not shooting great…

Shooting %% either fixes itself or it doesn’t… there is nothing anyone on the bench can do about that… so dontworryaboutit… go fix something else or do nothing… unless you have better shooters sitting on the bench and we don’t…

Anyway, I’m thinking…. it’s a State Carolina (tournament-type game) … you play even in the first half and make it a twenty minute game…

So that’s what we did… Forget the first half…

If we had run out by 10-12 points in the first half, we would have gotten cocky and stupid because we would have been thinking “this is the Dook game all over again”… and you know Carolina is coming back, you know that , we’ve seen that more than Coach… duh..

For our kids right now — a big lead in a big game in the first half has a 80% of a double digit loss in the second half…

So I’m thinking we’re right where we want to be… down and bit and knowing we GOTT to work harder to win this one..

————–

Coach was on his game too and there’s was nothing that game from the bench that was really Head Scratching in any way…

This turned out to be the difference in the ballgame… in less than two minutes…

Otherwise… it’s just Normal, Old Fashioned, State Carolina Game
    We’ll play them three time this season and it will split 2-1…

Nothing to ashamed of or even to bitch about…
    except maybe, the post game comments…

Coach… it’s a State-Carolina game … it’s different…
    … and it’s a good thing Dean wasn’t coaching the HOLES, because he would have beat you in the second half by twenty with the same kids…

It’s kinda sad to see it…. but Uncle Roy is over the Hill…

—————

The pre-game consensus around here was that to beat Carolina we had to stop Marcus Paige and for Carolina to beat us they had to stop Lacey…

…and that’s exactly what both Teams tried to do..

So the question for all you SFN coaches what are you going to different next time?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

This is reactionary, of course, but:

– Double Paige every time he gets the ball and get it out of his hands. Easier said than done, but really – make someone else completely beat us. And he did beat us … the rest of their team played pretty well, but I thought that was more of an extension of Paige’s playing well. If he wasn’t scoring, he was facilitating others to score easily. Paige has only been ‘ok’ this season, but is anyone surprised that he looked all-world, yet again, against us? Get the ball out of his hands. I’d rather give up some easy scores at times to others than to allow Paige to shoot 100% and help their team as a whole shoot close to 60%.

– Tell our guards to attack the basket earlier in the clock. I think we would have been much more well served in the first half with Lacey attacking Tokoto on the dribble when there’s proper spacing. They denied all of our movement and sets – make them pay for it by attacking the rim. Loosen up that D so the bigs can get involved with ball movement and post moves. Depending upon how Cat is going, play Des Lee more and have Lacey run the point. Lee has always shown a willingness to really attack the rim when the opportunity arises. Barber works his ass off – especially on D – but he didn’t have a great showing last night. IMO, we were much more effective in full-on ‘attack mode’ as opposed to trying to execute a halfcourt set. When Turner was actually in the game, he got loose a few times – but we can’t rely on that every time down the court. Their D bothered us last night, and we never really adjusted all that well. It makes the 2nd half effort from the kids all the more worthy of appreciation.

We rebounded well and showed a lot of fight, but that cheating bastard got us again. Such is life.

redcanine
    Participant

Well, Bill, we put all sorts of combinations out there. Some were surprisingly decent. Other than that stretch where UNX had 3 or 4 dunks in a row (busted our zone), we played great. Maybe next time we try to submarine Kennedy Meeks like he did to Trevor. That’s what I’d do. I’d put Meeks on his ass. Forget the drawing board!

Next time, Carolina will play better too. I expect another bloody game.

Gowolves
    Participant

Bill, I agree. While I hate losing to the light blue baby’s the fact is I am very happy with the way this team plays and the direction of the team. They played hard last night. Their perimeter defenders are long and I knew it would give the Pack fits all night. They need to do better job against UNC on their interior offense to draw double teams. It worked at times but not consistently. The two road games coming up are important. If could win the next two which I think we should then we are in good shape with two home games against ND and Clemson. I think at 5-2 going into the ND game is a good position to be in at this point in the season.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I’m with you BotB. I thought it was a well-coached and well played rivalry game. There was some inconsistent officiating, but not enough to get me overly bent out of shape. The last foul on Anya produced some mumbled expletives.

The coaching lapse that stood out to me (and I think it was pointed out in the game thread) was why Turner wasn’t subbed out while we were shooting FTs with <5 seconds to go. If you don’t force a TO on the inbound you know you have to foul the first guy to get the ball. Why not make a defensive sub with Lee and while they are shooting FTs sub Turner back in? I guess the argument could be made that if we force a TO our best 3P shooter is on the bench, but that’s a pretty low probability. Overall it’s a pretty small criticism of the coach.

Decisively beating Duke and taking UNC to the wire has shown me we can play with anyone. Keeping the guys up and focused for the next two road games will be important. Miami scares me. I know they’ve lost some head scratchers, but they were fearless and aggressive against Duke in Cameron. Speaking of which, how far has that “home court advantage” fallen in the past few years? It doesn’t come across as nearly as intimidating as it did in the 80s-00s.

Wulfpack
    Participant

There were some shots UNC made that just don’t normally go down for them, from guys that do not normally score. Much of that was Paige finding them. So you tip your cap to those guys as they stepped up. I really have no real complaints with how the game was played and how it was coached. The few small lapses hurt us but we still had a chance to tie at the end. All you can ask for when UNC is hitting everything (nearly 60%).

This team has showed that it can play with anyone the past three games. Now can we take care of business against the also rans?

DC_wolf
    Participant

Say whatever you want about Ol’ Roy (& lord knows I have), he gets his teams UP! to play the Pack.. He’s what, 23-and-2 against State in 12 years? I think I read that somewhere. Wish we could say that about any ACC opponent @ this point.

Fastback68
    Participant

State needs a Richard Howell type rebounder in the worse way. In corporate america, you put the bulk of the work on the best employees so I’m looking at you Kyle Washington. Our fast break ecosystem is out of whack because Cat is the first one down the floor because everyone else is trying to get a rebound. If Kyle/Anya had a 16 RPG average like the Meeks/Johnson combo, we could relieve some pressure on the half court. Abu runs the floor with Cat, and Turner/Lacey spread out beyond the arc.

The ACC regular season is a grind for every member. We finally have the depth to be the hunter/grinder. Make them move Gott and keep rotating. Beat FSU.

Gowolves
    Participant

FB68, I think we showed last night we can rebound with the better teams when we want to. I think we had a 8 or 9 rebound advantage. We missed so many second and third shots. It’s the finishing around the basket when you get those rebounds. That will improve as the season progresses.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Now you guying are thinking like Basketball Coaches…

Bottom line is…
    Nobody EVER beat anybody that was equal to or better than them …
    by winning the F’ing FIRST HALF of the GAME!

Yeah… we threw everything but the kitchen sink at Paige…
    and some of it worked better and some of it didn’t…

Here’s what Carolina really did…
    Paige got his points…. but also they spread the production out across a bunch of other guys…

Two guys killed us last night… NOT named Paige…
    Tokoto on both ends..
    Isiah Hicks…
    yep Hicks… the kid from Oxford…
    He comes off the bench gets twelve points, some rebounds we would have gotten and gets our BIGs (Anya, esp) to make a couple of fouls they wouldn’t have made… He’ll probably be starting for the HOLES next season…

We did a good job of controlling Meeks… I thought…

So next time…
    I giving Paige his 20… except at crunch time…
    and
    I’m stopping everybody else
    especially Tokoto…
    and I’m shutting the Paint down…
    none of those uncontested 5 footers…
    (Think Detroit Pistons with Lambier, Rodman, et al )

That’s the basketball equivalent of rushing 3 and dropping 8…
    Let Paige dribble the clock out if he wants…

On offense… we running the same stuff we ran last night except better…
    Lacey knows what’s coming now…

Did ANYBODY stop to think that this was his FIRST game against the HOLES??
    Damn…. Of course he was tight in the first half… and then he’s getting beat on (legally 90% of the time) like never before…
    The only guys that play D like Tokoto in the SEC play for Cal…
    The kid (Tokoto) is a freak … can play 6’2″ or 6″8″ dont matter to him…

Lacey showed Tokoto UP in the second half… If they had played another five minutes… Tokoto would have fouled out (he finished with 4 ) and Lacey would have 30 instead of 19 ….

So there I had to say that…
    I feel better now…

BJD95
    Keymaster

Our offense was rough for much/most of the game. We were just “off” but we fought our asses off to get through it, and damn near pulled it off when 99% of us (me included) had given up. I kept watching (mostly out of respect for the kids’ effort level), but with zero expectations.

We only truly played bad for the last 3 minutes of the first half, but those were “avert thine eyes” awful. The rest of the first half was just choppy.

Fastback68
    Participant

FB68, I think we showed last night we can rebound with the better teams when we want to. I think we had a 8 or 9 rebound advantage. We missed so many second and third shots. It’s the finishing around the basket when you get those rebounds. That will improve as the season progresses.

GW, I tend to stray off forum topics because I don’t know —- about XOs. I think this topic is coaching going forward after UNX and the two most divisive season long issues seem to be CAT and blocking out/rebounds. Freeman averages 6.2 rebounds in 18 minutes while Kyle averages 4.9 rebounds in 20 minutes. Kyle is just so much more well rounded and I believe is the most likely to become Howell like in rebounding. Remember how everyone else would go into fast break attack mode as Howell was left to make the rebound and outlet pass. Lacey is tied for second with Washington with 65 total defensive rebounds. Our 3 guards account for almost 33% of our 487 defensive rebounds.

For a season and a half, I have watched Cat race down the court and wind up all alone against 2,3,4 defenders. My first thought used to be, where is everybody else? Well, the other four are trying to get a damn rebound. Going forward, Kyle and Cat just have to do more and the rebounding is the intersecting issue. Kyle to Cat and try to get an easy basket. Liberal rotation versus the likes of Clemson, BC, WF, FSU & VT. Otherwise more minutes for Kyle & Abu with the same minutes for Lacey, Turner & Cat. That’s my free and probably worthless coaching advice. Besides it’s been stated by so many, if only we could fuse Kyle/Freeman and Anya/Abu into one player.

State has won the first one and done affairs against Pitt and Duke. The remaining four Miami, ND, Louisville and Syracuse will have a profound impact on our ACCT seed. BC, FSU and VT are also one game affairs that better not come into play with regards to seeding.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… the two most divisive troublesome season long issues seem to be challenges have been CAT and blocking out/rebounds.

Thanks for the plug F68…

First … After the last four games… I’m officially marking Rebounding off the list of things I’m going to “worry” about…

Second … For the record… Lacey, not Anthony, ran the Offense last night most every play when both of them were on the court at the last time… same as the Dook and the Virginia games… It does not make what position the scorebook has them listed at – Point Guard or Shooting Guard … this is what counts, this is what Coach has done and Coach is NOT going to change this – this season.

Now… Getting Anthony’s production up, keeping his attitude right, maximizing his innate abilities and improving his weak areas will continue to be a major focus point for everybody involved… That said… I ain’t worried about that either… but I think it’s gonna take the rest of the regular season to see a whole lot of “progress”…

The past is ancient history and the future is ours for the taking…

ncsu_kappa
    Participant

First off inspiring close out to the game, coaching and execution, very reminiscent of why we earned the name Cardiac Pack.

Ok – observations Ol’ Roy has coached his boys excellently on how to defeat the zone we employed which I think was a box and one. They operated this play like clockwork against us.
    * Paige passes to a big near the free throw line (just outside the farthest edge)
    * then he sets a pseudo screen.
    * Then the big passes him the ball back now Paige is on the Wing
    * The Big is still right there near the free throw line but his defender doesn’t have a body between him and the rim.
    * The baseline big on the play side is drug out of the paint by UNx player down on the baseline.
    * the original big cuts hard to the basket for an uncontested layup or dunk on a pass from the guard usually Paige

The second thing that killed us was the hardly contested 5 footers. I wasn’t able to see a pattern of how their players got open. I think we are just still figuring the zone out.

Huge improvement by Anya in transition defense last night. He used to get in great position to protect the paint but got easily distracted by anyone running the court with him and he would abandon the paint for easy scores against everyone all season. Last night he stayed in the paint until help arrived. I didn’t see him give up a single point that way, could have dropped a tear to witness that improvement.

Offensively, we have to keep moving without the ball no matter who has it. Kyle Washington, played clutch last night but he is starting to be a black hole. Anya and Abu I saw set their defenders up to provide easy scores for themselves or team mates. KW with his consistent 12-15 footer is going to draw defenders. We need cutting players like Anya’s and Abu to receive passes and get easy layups. I’m not mad at KW shooting in his spots but sometimes there are easier points.

We didn’t execute the zone effectively last night but every error seemed coachable. Our team is getting smarter and experience is starting to kick in.

My vote is if Paige wants to beat us on the perimeter we let him, but we can’t let their bigs continue to dominate inside like that.

If I’m coach Gott I’m obviously disappointed in the outcome, I’m disappointed in the execution in certain parts of the game but overall I leave with a smile on my face because you know your team has fight, the mistakes are correctable and not based on talent gap, Lacey isn’t going to play that bad in the first half very often, and our bigs got an example of how to be effective last night and they responded.

round of applause for the refs – there were some debatable calls both ways but the only egregious one was foul number one on Ralston. That reach looked very weak.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

So next time…
    I [sic] giving Paige his 20… except at crunch time…
    and
    I’m stopping everybody else

^We disagree here 🙂

Since Paige is the point guard and facilitator, him ‘getting his’ means their offense is more than likely going to be executing at an extremely efficient level. I’d like to take the ball out of his hands and keep it out of his hands … see how he and his team respond.

I’d be more willing to try your suggested strategy if Paige were an off-the-ball player (shooting guard).

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^No problem… we disagree… so what?

… but we saw how the “other way” kinda worked last night…
    and you know I didn’t mean to let him run free either…

If you cut out 80% of Paige’s assists and make him work like a dog while running the shot clock way down so that all he left with is the 3 pointer or trying to create something all on his own and don’t make stupid fouls with less than 5 seconds on the clock and rebound (in other words, just play good defense)…

then he’s going to get his 20… if he takes them…
    but he ain’t really hurt us… yet …

the game is in the 60s-70s instead of the 70s-80s…
    which is means less foul trouble for us and fewer fast break baskets for them…

It’s the myth of stopping of the THREE at all costs…
    It’s just MATH… 40% ( a good night) from 3 point land is just better for US than 80% from inside 10 feet…

So now we are back to our end of the court where we win or lose…

We now, in theory, control our own destiny…
    We still GOTT to deal with the wildcards…

But what more do you want?

Rick
    Keymaster

Overall the defense was not too hot. They were not overplaying Paige’s left hand.
    The bigs were not able to generate any offense which makes it harder on the guards. Inside out is the most effective way to score.
    Lacey has to learn how to play wiht a good defender on him. We cannot win with him playing poorly.
    Great heart. Fought hard. This team is an effective Cat from being really good.
    I agree with Gott in that the team played poorly in the first half. Bad offense and defense but great rebounding. It kept us in the game.
    A UNC fan at work was complaining about the refs. I kept my mouth shut but really wanted to go off about it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.