Clemson should be scared, very scared

Home Forums StateFans Football Clemson should be scared, very scared

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    freshmanin83
    Participant

– NC State head coach Dave Doeren has announced that placekicker Carson Wise, a graduate transfer from Carson Newman, will join the Wolfpack next season and have two seasons left to play.   …
    Wise connected on 21-31 field goals at Carson-Newman and was 97-101 on PATs

http://www.gopack.com/news/2017/3/30/football-graduate-transfer-placekicker-to-join-wolfpack.aspx?path=football

saigonwolf
    Participant

I would imagine Clemson’s special teams’ guys – particularly the ones they put on the line to try and block kicks, will be substantially bigger than those of Carson-Newman’s opponents, and Mr. Wise is likely to be more scared of that, than Clemson will be of us (and him).

Greywolf
    Participant

I would imagine Clemson’s special teams’ guys – particularly the ones they put on the line to try and block kicks, will be substantially bigger than those of Carson-Newman’s opponents, and Mr. Wise is likely to be more scared of that, than Clemson will be of us (and him).

We will have enough real problems without imaginary ones. I doubt “Mr. Wise” will be scared or concerned about Clemson’s special team guys (or anybody else’s for that matter) unless being scared is part of his pre-kick routine.

It wasn’t the opponent’s special team guys that initially caused problems for Carson-Newman. It was coordination of the snapper, holder and kicker — along with blocking assignments. It took a game or two to get that sorted out.

Last year our snap appeared to be off target a few times. That will cause a hitch in the timing of the kick. This affects even the pros. This spring our special teams received quit a bit of attention — not only our kicking but all aspects of special team play. I doubt being scared of Clemson was on the agenda.

Worried about Wise coming from a D-2 school? The Seattle Seahawk’s kicker followed a similar path that Mr. Wise is following except that Steven Hauschka kicked for a D-3 team before his year at State.

saigonwolf
    Participant

Greywolf:
    Good analysis of the kicking situation.

My use of the word “scared” was only in keeping with the title of the thread, and not meant literally. Wise had better not be scared of anything or anyone – otherwise we had no business getting him and will be no better off.

As for him coming from a D-2 school, yeah, that kinda concerns me – I would rather he had those kind of stats kicking for a P-5 school, and sincerely hope he does that well for us. The average player at a P-5 school is bigger (taller) and more athletic (better jumper) to block kicks than the average D-2 player, so that is the only basis for my concern – not Wise’s psyche.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I’m sure freshmanin83 was saying that ‘tongue in cheek’.
    Grey you are quite correct; long-snapping is one of biggest Achilles heels of every college and especially pro team.
    My youngest works in the front office of an NFL team and he has said that to me. You’re only allowed 56 on the roster so that means 1 long-snapper, if he has to play hurt or can’t play…you have a big problem.

The staph (my new favorite pet name for our coaches until they prove me otherwise) is high on this kid so I’ll give him a chance.
    Funny though because we’ve probably sent more kickers to the NFL than about any college and why we suxed so bad last year I have no idea.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.