Clemson Inks Brownell To New 6 Year Deal

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Clemson Inks Brownell To New 6 Year Deal

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

Wow. I knew he was doing a pretty good job (highly regarded as one of the best defensive coaches in the country), but 6 years?

Clemson has signed coach Brad Brownell to a new six-year contract, the school announced Friday.

Brownell led the Tigers (23-13) to the NIT semifinals this past season. Overall, he has a 74-58 mark in four seasons at Clemson. The Tigers made the NCAA tournament in 2010-11.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10973661

Deacon Blues
    Participant

Remember, ClemPson plucked GT’s AD. The same guy that signed Hewitt to the massively long contract that is still crippling the GT BBall program.

This would have disaster written all over it if ClemPson fans cared about basketball.

StateRed44
    Participant

Didn’t realize so many were trying to hire Brownell away. Good grief.

Pack78
    Participant

^^Radakovich followed Dave Braine at GT… IIRC, Braine (Tar Hole Grad!) was the genius that signed Hewitt, thus costing Tech big bucks.

StateRed44
    Participant

Clemson is not the worst job in the ACC, but have to be close to the bottom. They have a natural advantage over exactly one program, VT. They do seem to have a decent place to play, though never attended. Not sure what they have to lose unless Brownell is coming at a super bargain relative to his results.

Wulfpack
    Participant

They must be convinced they are going to break through very soon. He’s been good, not great, there. It is Clemson. With that defense they are in many games. They certainly whipped us.

VT and BC are horrible jobs. Buzz, though, is a stellar hire in Blacksburg. He may do ok there, we’ll see.

FSU and Miami aren’t much better, but they’ve made good hires.

If Manning flops at Wake then that job is getting worse as well. But you can win there, we know that.

With the additions of Cuse and Lville, it just gets harder for these stagnant programs. Yea, more opportunities for the big win. But come on, Clemson or VT or BC aren’t coming close to finishing ahead of those guys (with Duke and UNC in there as well). The talent differential is off the charts. Kids are lining up for those top four.

The big head scratcher in the league to me is GT. How the heck they stink so much recently is a mystery. I have no idea why Gregory is still around. They are going to suck out loud again this year.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Recent ESPN article lists Clemson, BC, and FSU as “bad” jobs, among others nationally:

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=10987296

StateRed44
    Participant

GT is actually a football school and in a football state.

Wulfpack
    Participant

With an excellent basketball history. Usually not without very good players, even if the teams have been average, if worse.

ryebread
    Participant

Brownell is one that I’d thought would be a good fit at NC State. When Clemson hired him, I thought it was a good move. He’s not tearing it up at Clemson and I think some combination of him and the institutional disadvantages of Clemson are holding him back a bit in recruiting. I think he’d have done better at NC State because his biggest weakness (recruiting) is something that every coach in my lifetime at NC State other than Les has done fairly easily.

As for the contract extension, maybe they locked him up for 6 years on the cheap? If so, it might not be a bad move. I don’t think the fans are going to want to push him out because the expectations there are different.

As for GT, Gregory has to be on borrowed time. He was a bad hire initially and GT is seemingly dead in the water. I understand that no “good” coach wanted that job given what was happening with the stadium renovations. Evidently Gregory came on the cheap and gave them an opportunity to get out of the financial mess that was Hewitt’s buy out.

I actually think GT is a good job. Yes it is a football state with very few places to hide players class and major wise, but you don’t need as many players in basketball. Also, the Atlanta metro has some talent (which we’ve mined fairly well recently). GT just needs to keep those kids at home.

As for the rest of the league, I think Miami is a great job. It has to be a piece of cake to recruit there. From a competitive situation, I’m thankful that Larranaga (who I think is a great coach) is going to eventually age out of that job.

That will also be the case with UNC, Duke, Syracuse and Louisville in the not so distant future. UNC and Duke seem to be machines that will roll on (though I suspect Duke may struggle with a successor if Collins doesn’t work out at NW and UNC may have problems if the playing field gets evened some), and Louisville has been up and down based on coach. Syracuse is the unknown to me. They didn’t have much before Jim B., and outside of the Carrier Dome, they don’t seem to have much going for them. They’re not really NYC’s team.

Of course, I thought the same about UConn and they won a title this year. I suspect given the way the deck is stacked, that these four will roll on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.