Chopping Wood in Daytight Compartments

Home Forums StateFans Football Chopping Wood in Daytight Compartments

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

Yeah I know that’s a Sendekian phrase pertaining to basketball and not directly related to football but euphemisms like that and Playing Down to your competition are.

Ten takeaways from ACC Kickoff: No. 7, Wolfpack really does treat opponents differently

6. It’s true, N.C. State really does play differently against the better teams on its schedule than it does against perceived lesser opponents.

One of the many things that drive Wolfpack fans crazy is their team’s propensity for playing up or down to its competition. It’s a trend that has plagued State for as long as anyone can remember – regardless of the who the players and coaches happen to be at the time.

If the first step toward solving a problem is identifying it, then perhaps the Wolfpack may finally be ready to make some positive strides in the right direction.

“(Almost) every year we’ve beaten either Florida State or Clemson,” fifth-year senior running back Tony Creecy said. “It’s not luck, it’s the way we prepare. But we have to prepare that way for every single game. That’s where we’ve messed up in the past at N.C. State.

“We haven’t prepared for every single game like we’ve prepared for Clemson or Florida State. That’s been our downfall because we’ll lose to someone we shouldn’t lose to.”

We’ve seen it for years, it’s not just the football team that does it and it’s not just at NC State either. It’s the difference between a Winner’s/Champion’s mindset and those who will never get over the proverbial hump.

highstick
    Participant

“We’ve seen it for years, it’s not just the football team that does it and it’s not just at NC State either. It’s the difference between a Winner’s/Champion’s mindset and those who will never get over the proverbial hump.”

Absolutely and I cannot say “absolutely” enough! I know some of you don’t want to hear it, but I’ve watched a mediocre Gamecock football team “finally get” it over the past 15 years…This “mindset” shift comes from the coaches, players(players recruited) and fans! You “play” like you “practice and prepare” and if you want a winning program, you have to put out the effort every day of the season…That means “EVERYONE”!

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

pakfanistan
    Participant

“We’ve seen it for years, it’s not just the football team that does it and it’s not just at NC State either. It’s the difference between a Winner’s/Champion’s mindset and those who will never get over the proverbial hump.”

Absolutely and I cannot say “absolutely” enough! I know some of you don’t want to hear it, but I’ve watched a mediocre Gamecock football team “finally get” it over the past 15 years…This “mindset” shift comes from the coaches, players(players recruited) and fans! You “play” like you “practice and prepare” and if you want a winning program, you have to put out the effort every day of the season…That means “EVERYONE”!

Absolutely, and the main reason I hate the phrase “NC State sh!t”.

BJD95
    Keymaster

@highstick – Having a mastermind head coach (who isn’t way past his “sell by” date like Doctor Lou was) is no small factor in developing a true belief like that.

Coaching really, really matters.

And once DD has a threshold amount of talent, I hope he will demonstrate that axiom in a positive way.

highstick
    Participant

Some thought Spurrier was washed up too…He and I are the same age and he’s far from being washed up…However, “Lou set the stage with the Gamecocks, Spurrier really ramped it up, what’s next???”

We just need some hungry coaches who are willing and able to put it together…And fan support…and money, and money, and money…I’ll just stop there…

"Whomp 'em, Up, Side the Head"!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.