CFB Playoff Teams

Home Forums StateFans Football CFB Playoff Teams

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Pack78
    Participant

Teams selected in order 1-6:

AL, Clem, tOSU, WA, PSU, MI.

Bowl selections are happening now.

kwfpack
    Participant

I don’t understand the love for tOSU. They don’t win the head to head with PSU, don’t win division or conference. Washington should have even been in front of them.

tractor57
    Participant

Short answer – $$$

Wulfpack
    Participant

If Ohio state isnt one of the top four teams, I dont know who is. Being a conference champion is not a requirement.

tractor57
    Participant

Not a requirement but one of the factors.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Only a factor. With unbalanced scheduling, it isn’t the end all be all. Michigan and Ohio State are both better teams than Penn State.

kwfpack
    Participant

Then why did all the CFP talk about is head to head and winning the conference?

Wulfpack
    Participant

The committee is charged to put the best four teams in. As far as I am concerned, they got it right. I can understand a debate with Washington as the 4th, but it also doesn’t bother me that much.

Wulfpack
    Participant

I don’t understand the love for tOSU.

They have three top 10 wins. Nobody else has that.

kwfpack
    Participant

So according to that Michigan should be too four as they beat 3 top 10 teams.

TheCOWDOG

I concur with Wulf’s point about OSU, but I can’t shake the notion that PSU has played better than anyone not named Alabama over the last 2 months.

tractor57
    Participant

I’m not anti tOSU I can see “rules” have in a way put the selections in a box. Same argument we will about the last 4 in in the basketball tourney. Same argument but not the same impact.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

We need an 8 team play off.

tractor57
    Participant

Then the argument would be about #9, #10 vs #8. I agree an e team playoff would be reasonable but it will not stop the arguments.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

If the Big 12 could break away from Texas and go to 12…

Then five conference champs — ACC, SEC, B1G, B12, P12
    and Three At large would make a nice setup…

I’m thinking 2018 season could be the right time…

T57’s still right however…. somebody would get left out and whine…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I’m aware of the “where does it end” argument. I was throwing it out there a bit tongue in cheek.. that said 8 teams would certainly be plenty enough to determine a true CFB champion. A lot less parity in football compared to basketball. In other words, a #9 team left out of an 8 team playoff would have had a near zero chance of winning 3 games in a row against top 8 teams. Heck, even the #8 seed would probably be a miracle to win in that playoff structure considering they’d have the toughest path according to seeding.

Just my thoughts on it. They’ll expand it to 8 at some point either way.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Six Teams would work just as easily…

1 and 2 get first round byes…
    3 & 6
    4 & 5 play in…

The problem ain’t with the tournament structure…
    The problem is the politics/money ain’t right and there’s too many independent bowls, some of which would prosper and some of which would suffer with CFP expansion.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    MrPlywood
    Participant

Since I can see Washington U from my house, I hear a lot about the Huskies. In 2008 they went 0-12, the last season of Tyrone Willingham’s sorry 4 year tenure as coach. Steve Sarkisian brought them back to respectability before he bolted, going 34-29. And now Chris Peterson has brought them back to the brink of the promised land, going 8-6, 7-6 and 12-1… so far.

Coaching is like a box of chocolates…

Texpack
    Participant

The reason they CFP talk was all about conference champions this year is that it was the best way to stir up controversy and viewers. The committee guidelines say that conference championships can be considered if teams are really close.

If you make conference championships a primary qualification then everybody will schedule like Baylor. tOSU beat the Big 12 champ on the road. It was the best road win in all of CFB this season. Their win over Tulsa is a lot better than most people realize.

People wanted to ding UW for their OOC schedule. They have to credit tOSU for theirs. If PSU had gotten the 4th spot, I wouldn’t have complained too much. They would have been the first team to make the four with a blowout loss on their record but they clearly got a lot better as the season went on.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.