Calipari trying to go big with Adebayo

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Calipari trying to go big with Adebayo

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Might be time to charter another Choppah.

Just in case…

Edrice “Bam” Adebayo hosted the UK coach for the second time in eight days Tuesday, and the Wildcats are emerging as a major player in his recruitment.

Adebayo — ranked No. 7 overall in the senior class by Rivals.com — averaged 32.2 points, 21.0 points, and 4.5 blocked shots per game for Northside High (N.C.) last season, earning first-team All-America honors from MaxPreps.com.

[snip]

“He probably plays harder than any kid in the country,” HPCA Coach Brandon Clifford told the Herald-Leader. “You put that with an NBA-type of body — he’s 6-9, 250 and can jump out of the gym. He’s a rare mix. If I could compare him to anybody it would be Shawn Kemp — that’s how explosive he is. And the best part about it is he just plays his heart out.

“He’s a lot more skilled than people realize, and I think he’ll start to show more of that this year.”

[snip]

“I know Cal likes him a lot,” Clifford said. “Bam is certainly worth Kentucky’s time — he’s that good. … I know that he likes Kentucky, just like he likes the other schools that are involved. Cal coming in again — that obviously shows that he’s invested.”

North Carolina State was widely viewed throughout the summer as the favorite in Adebayo’s recruitment, and that hasn’t changed with recent developments.

Wolfpack Coach Mark Gottfried started the fall recruiting period two weeks ago by flying in a helicopter to Adebayo’s hometown for a visit with his mother, then doubling back to meet with Adebayo at his new high school.

Gottfried also used the chopper to meet with five-star point guard Dennis Smith Jr., that day. Smith is a close friend and AAU teammate of Adebayo, and he announced his commitment to N.C. State two days after Gottfried’s visit.

Some colleges previously linked to Adebayo have seemingly conceded the recruitment to the Wolfpack, but Calipari obviously still thinks he has a shot.

Adebayo is willing to listen.

WallyB
    Participant

Gulp…

I guess it helps that Bam’s Team Loaded buddies DSJr. has already said “yes” to us and Kirk has already said “no” to Calipari. The quote about “preparing him for where he wants to end up” is a good argument for UK. They’ve proven that they are in the national stage & can put bigs in the top of the NBA draft.

The comparison, physically, to Shawn Kemp made me perk up. Thinking of a young Kemp on our squad is pretty exciting. Looking at Bam, he reminds me of JJ Hickson.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.