Byting NCAA Tournament Insight & Open Entry

Home Forums All StateFansNation Byting NCAA Tournament Insight & Open Entry

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    66pack
    Participant

Alpha WOlf, no mention of state.My point is that after 25 yrs in the bb wilderness we are not going to be able to just hire a successful mid major but will need to do a real search like the mid-majors carry out. Most state fans do not know who Case was but I believe he was a high school coach when hired. As I said before the,last 2 days indicates that there are mid-major AD’s that can find coaches who will be successful.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Jay Bilas on mike & mike today and shared some opinions on various topics but only caught him discussing the status of college bb coaching and his example was VCU and Smart.He believes that successful mid-major coaches have no reason to move to an unsuccessful schools of a major conference.

Once again, we have an example of a talking head talking out of the other end. VCU is quite a large university with nearly 20,000 undergrads. They raised tuition to cover Shaka’s last pay raise. Many of the mid-majors don’t have the ability to match salaries with the power conference teams. For example, Xavier has less than 5,000 undergrads and their constant roll over in head coaches proves that Bilas is full of it.

MrPlywood
    Participant

I have decided to adopt Thomas Walkup and SFA for the remainder.

Texpack
    Participant

Shaka can still blow the big tourney game with the best of them. Still living off of one run.

Rick
    Keymaster

Boy’s, ya gotta remind yourselves that Ricky has his own way of regurgitating other’s written thoughts.

How is it a coach, like Izzo, can’t teach a fundamental like pivot foot?

LMAO. (But killed most of my brackets, so it ain’the THAT funny.)

I thought age brought wisdom. [Shrugs shoulders]

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Shaka can still blow the big tourney game with the best of them. Still living off of one run.

Yea, but that’s one more than a lot of coaches….and at a mid-major no less.

choppack1
    Participant

Shockers fan out of gas today vs. Da U (speaking of coaches who made a final 4 at a mid major.)

Regarding Shaka – I am not a big fan of teams that rely on a full court press. It will be interesting to see how he does at Texas.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

Tough matchup for Wichita st after already playing two. Dug themselves too big of a hole in first ten minutes. Bad day shooting the 3 ball was bad news for them all year

^to smarts credit, he had to adapt to the roster that Barnes put together. He’ll be fine at Texas, but I agree, relying on full court pressure is tricky

13OT
    Participant

So now there are 2 ACC teams in the Sweet 16, and after the games at the PNC are over tonight or early tomorrow morning, there will be 4 ACC teams in the Sweet 16.

UVA has won its last SEVEN games here, and UNC seemingly NEVER loses here.

Ever the gracious host, NC State.

Wait until next season.

choppack1
    Participant

Epic battle between 2 heavyweights.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Is anybody pulling for Caltucky ???

Hoosiers wear Red and White.

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    tractor57
    Participant

Today all in for the red and white and I was too the good 🙂

Tau837
    Participant
    Texpack
    Participant

Is anybody pulling for Caltucky ???

Hoosiers wear Red and White.

Absolutely not. I was quite relieved that I wouldn’t have to pull for them against the cheaters.

Shaka had to adapt a roster built with Top 10-20 recruiting classes. More talent than he ever had at VCU. I’m very skeptical that he will do any better than he did at VCU.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… and in case your wondering…
    I’ve always been a BobKnightFan except when we faced him…

that said, Quinn Buckner spent a summer in Raleigh one time…
    definitely a guy anybody could hang around with…

I’m sure Mr. Dog will concur….

tractor57
    Participant

I always thought Knight was a talented coach but a royal ass.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^until I went into business for myself in ’91… I worked for a number of bosses who could rival Knight in terms of a##holene##… none of whom GOTT his results from his “players”…

spending time with opinionated knowitalls whodontknowhalfofwhattheythinktheyknow, you know..

so… Knight really didn’t bother me in that respect….

MrPlywood
    Participant

Looks like the Zags mean business.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Terrible day, baseball loses in extra innings, wrestling sucking in new york, with our undefeated heavyweight @ 88-0, losing in ot, and then the stinking holes, roll over providence in our arena. BOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Can Calgon please take me away?

MrPlywood
    Participant

Gwiz losing is a real bummer. He was up 5-3, gave up two with 20 seconds to go and then lost 28 seconds into sudden “victory” OT – which I don’t like in Championship matches. There’s too much on the line for a match to be decided that way.

tractor57
    Participant

“so… Knight really didn’t bother me in that respect….”

Bill,

I have seen such as well. The problem with Knight is that behavior eventually cost him the IU job. I always got the passion but as often happens with such driven people there does come a point where for those in charge the pain is not worth the gain.

ryebread
    Participant

Surprisingly good showing by the ACC. Equally surprising flame outs by the Big 10 and mixed results by the Big 12. I knew no one was good in college basketball this year, so I should have picked way more upsets in my brackets.

Tough first round for the Millers. I thought Dayton had a bad match up there.

One loss doesn’t change my opinion of Arch though. I still think he’s the one for State. Doesn’t matter though because our administration isn’t doing anything until Yow is gone.

66pack
    Participant

In reply to those who started bashing Smart based upon my post regarding BIlas you missed the point totally. He was talking recruiting coaches. I used SMart as an example. Smart may have only one run to the final four but he had several NCAA appearances at VCU. In his first year at Texas he beat 6 teams ranked 17 or better,4 in top 10 and 2 ranked 3. Those last two happen to be Okla. and chapel cheats. Not a bad 1st year.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

as often happens with such driven people there does come a point where for those in charge the pain is not worth the gain.

^fundamentally not a “personality” issue… but rather an organization/structural problem wherein good people out grow the organization or their position and don’t, for a variety of reasons, move on to the next challenge soon enough….

also in the specific case… adapting to changing — more “politically correct” — environment was out of the question…
    like a lot of s”successful” folks of Knight’s generation… that wasn’t a damn thing correct about them….

——————–

We’re looking at in all likelihood — SIX ACC squads in the Sweet 16…
    which puts a somewhat more positive light on the quality of work by our coaches and players this season… if anyone wants to see it that way…

Rick
    Keymaster

as often happens with such driven people there does come a point where for those in charge the pain is not worth the gain.

^fundamentally not a “personality” issue… but rather an organization/structural problem wherein good people out grow the organization or their position and don’t, for a variety of reasons, move on to the next challenge soon enough….

also in the specific case… adapting to changing — more “politically correct” — environment was out of the question…
    like a lot of s”successful” folks of Knight’s generation… that wasn’t a damn thing correct about them….

——————–

We’re looking at in all likelihood — SIX ACC squads in the Sweet 16…
    which puts a somewhat more positive light on the quality of work by our coaches and players this season… if anyone wants to see it that way…

I guess losing to sweet 16 is better than losing to non but the distinction is turd polishing.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.