Braxton Beverly ineligible for upcoming season…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Braxton Beverly ineligible for upcoming season…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

More Friday the 13th wisdom from the NCAA…

Beverly’s ineligible because he WENT TO CLASS….

From E$pin…

NC State freshman Braxton Beverly ineligible for upcoming season

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    40YdLine
    Participant

I can’t argue with their ruling, stinks but that’s their rule. What absolutely smacks of subterfuge is the timing of this announcement… Denmark rotten folks, It is as disrespectful an action as I could imagine. Not only should NCSU appeal the ruling, it should give warning to the NCAA of our attempt to encourage the dissolution of the NCAA. I, for one, would encourage the athletic department of our university to ignore any contest scheduled with Chapel Hill, all of them, until such a time as UNC formally issues an apology to the other members of the ACC, the UNC system, and frankly all the other members of the NCAA. It should be their mea culpa.

"Don't ever give up"

ryebread
    Participant

Hate it for Beverly, but this isn’t the issue to go to the mattresses over with the NCAA. The irony is thick though that the kid has to sit out of playing because he attended classes, while the school down the road just had many, many others who exhausted eligibility while not attending classes.

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – on a day like today, what is?

Again, I return to the silence of the leader of our school and athletic department…they are screaming loud and clear – we don’t care.

choppack1
    Participant

Or worse.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

The AD handbook/code says… “one AD should not criticize or otherwise call negative attention to another AD’s program”, if for no other reason than “you might know when you need a new job”.

That said, every AD should have “indirect ways” of communicating their strongest and most sensitive opinions to a variety of influential people… and on occasion, should not hesitate to use them….

… the key word here being “should”.

Truth is, after bending over and taking it since ’91… “should” is either sad or stupid or both….

Hypocrisy at it’s worse….
    POP!!!

choppack1
    Participant

Yea Bill… hasn’t Deb said she is retiring?

Like I said, TOB catches a lot of cwap – but he is the only person who called them to the carpet….now, DD did capture the essence of being a State man with his laundry story – which wasn’t small potatoes either.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^forgive me for pointing out the obvious….
    TOB and DD are coaches, not ADs…
    different rules esp. on in the postgame on on the runup week to a rivalry game…

Retirement in a backwards way makes my point just as strongly from another direction….

Yeah, on the one hand, you got nothing to lose… BUT on the other hand…

“Why bother… unless you don’t want to enjoy emeritus status in the ‘club’?”

POP!!!

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I got my own theories.. somebody over there at that worthless institution known as the NCAA has up and hired Karl Hess.

choppack1
    Participant

Yea Bill. And to a certain point, I understand and emphathize. I mean, I have people in my family whom I love and either went there or pull for them – and get po’d about this seems and blow up st them seems to be stooping to a level that’s bothersome, but at some point, somewhere, somebody, has to make a stink.

PackofMac
    Participant

Suit the kid up and say F you to the NCAA. Bill is dead on however

There you go! Dovetails nicely with the NCAA’s stance on UNC’s policy of not actually requiring student athletes to attend classes. Can someone say LOOPHOLE? The NCAA should kindly permit all schools to make class attendance for student athletes (and others – NCAA frowns on academic fraud just for student athletes) voluntary if not disallowed altogether.
    Any chance Braxton can claim he didn’t actually attend those classes?

tractor57
    Participant

I understand it is a rule but exceptions are made for unusual circumstances. Just like the exceptions for UNX. I guess the Pack doesn’t have enough money pulling power.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Any appeal should begin with the phrase: “In light of the recent ruling in the UNC case…” And maybe nothing else needs to be said.

gso packbacker
    Participant

Looks like the appeal is denied which is no surprise whatsoever. However, here is what makes no sense. Lavar Batts decommits to VCU and ok to play. Braxton Beverly decommits and can’t play. The only difference is that one attended a few weeks of a summer session.

The kicker is that even by the NCAA own’s guidelines, summer sessions do not count toward eligibility (i.e., period for sitting out), yet they count toward ineligibility (as in this case).

How is that not clearly inconsistent and unjust toward the student? Apparently, we need better lawyers! Actually, all appeals are handled through the Commissioner’s office and not the University. Hmm, I wonder how hard the ACC is arguing this case? As a member of the ACC I would expect more from them. Maybe a voice of support?!?! Then again, ol’ Swofford and Co. might not have many friends in Indy to ask for a favor.

PackofMac
    Participant

Suit him up while you line up every attorney cow college can afford. No, this is not a huge issue but it is beyond time that an institution finally says FK you to the NCAA. It is time for the NCAA to go away, they are completely useless and horribly biased. What damn job is Debbie Yow going to need if this doesn’t pan out for her??? Let’s be honest. Go find a freaking podium with a working mic and denounce the NCAA.

Radman
    Participant

– The only comment will be from Keatts. Yow will only comment on this issue if asked directly by the media.
    – This decision was not made by NCAA “staff”. It was made by a committee of six representatives of NCAA member institutions. They did not regard Beverly’s situation as “extraordinary”.
    – Yow has expressed her disagreement by writing to committee members and NCAA staff.
    – It isn’t over but will be “very difficult” to change.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Just saw this NC State resubmits waiver for freshman Beverly

Good on ya Pack! Nothing to lose here…

Even Bilas is on board…

Greywolf
    Participant

I, for one, would encourage the athletic department of our university to ignore any contest scheduled with Chapel Hill,

Play Beverly in scheduled contests with the holes… let’s see what the NCAA does in a holes game when the opponent is using ineligible player(s).

Greywolf
    Participant

Any chance Braxton can claim he didn’t actually attend those classes?

I believe that EweNC has that loophole copyrighted. 😉

Rick
    Keymaster

NCAA let’s Beverly play. First thing they have done right.

redwolf87
    Participant

Thanks NCAA for doing what was right. But only after you pushed an innocent kid to lawyer up.

In fairness, I will accept the explanation of the NCAA that “additional information” only now discovered led to this reversal.

In closing: Scott Tompsett is the man.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.