Boston College Regular Season Finale Game Thread

Home Forums All StateFansNation Boston College Regular Season Finale Game Thread

Viewing 24 posts - 226 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

No, more like 10 or so. That’s still quite a steep hill to climb. I think maybe a win over Miami gets us from NIT 3 seed to NIT 2 seed. Friday win, and we get that coveted #1 NIT seed. Make the finals, and see you in Dayton.

That said, there’s maybe a 3% chance of making the ACCT final. I’d be fine with the semis, that would at least make my life semi-interesting on a temporary basis.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Best case scenario is we make it to Saturday and get torched by Dook. We can totally do that, but alas, it won’t be enough to go dancing.

Worst part of our draw is that it’s nearly impossible for Duke to lose on Friday, and they are too dangerous 1-5 (balanced approach) offensively that I don’t see how we even keep it close against them.

john of sparta
    Participant

no surprises this year for ACC-anything:
    1. coach: tony.
    2. player: tony.
    3. rookie: jabari.

BJD95
    Keymaster

We will have to save our outrage for a potential Buckets snub…for first team all-defense.

packalum44
    Participant

I was a child too young to remember the last time we had a coach who had a legitimate chance to win the ACC dance with any team he brought. Missing Valvano.

john of sparta
    Participant

we’re NIT when we win one more game.
    we’re NCAA when we win three more.

JeremyH
    Participant

so that home loss to Miami didn’t help us much..

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

We got the draw we wanted against Cuse but the worst 10/15 draw possible where State likely plays Miami, the one team at the bottom I see State likely losing to.

TheCOWDOG

I do have the official books on hand for ’73/’74, all 31 games.

Gary got a bad feed. DT had four 40+, yet not two ina’ row.

Texpack
    Participant

An up and down year ends with a .500 conference record. I wondered if TJ Warren could continue to score like he did last year without Wood, Brown, Leslie, and Howell around him. I guess I don’t have to wonder any more.

The losses to Miami, Wake, Mizzou, and Central did us in. The two close losses could have been overcome had we not screwed up those games.

I don’t like our chances of making it to Sunday, but with a player like Warren you always have a shot.

When is the POY announcement?

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think 9-9 is a fair reflection of our play overall. As is our current status as a “high NIT” team. Some work to do in GBO, let’s at least make it fun.

IIRC, the three main awards kind of trickle out early-to-mid afternoon on Monday.

1.21 Jigawatts
    Keymaster

I thought the awards came out one a day? Of course I could be full of crap.

choppack1
    Participant

Tj warren….wow. most amazing stretch I have seen in quite a while. Simply incredible. He’s also our best rebounder and defender. I hope he gets to play in the big dance.

packalum44
    Participant

In hindsight, this team wins 2 of 3: Clemson/Wake/Miami.

Could also gripe about: UNC, Syracuse.

So close, yet so far away. We are on a long ride.

Hawkeye Whitney
    Participant

Thank you TJ for making this season worth watching. I will remember the “41 and “42” more than the “9-9”.

YoungWolf17
    Participant

First Post… Freshmen at State and been a fan for a few years since my brother started going here. Because I’m not super knowledgeable of State history other then the some of the more main guys (DT, Corcianni, JH, etc) my question is will TJ get his jersey hung at PNC? If he comes back for another year I don’t see any way he doesn’t but I think even if this is his last year he still might have a chance. He’s been absolutely incredible. A run at the ACC tourney couldn’t hurt!!

JeremyH
    Participant

What was the difference between our win @Miami and our loss to them at home? I think maybe they had more rest than us in the latter. And with respect to a potential Duke matchup…..a saavy second-year, superbowl winning quarterback once said, “why not us?”

Alpha Wolf
    Keymaster

I was a child too young to remember the last time we had a coach who had a legitimate chance to win the ACC dance with any team he brought. Missing Valvano.

The game’s been rigged since not long after Valvano left. For a low seed to win, they have to win two more games while the better competition rests. In reality, it’s killed the fun of it.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

my question is will TJ get his jersey hung at PNC?

Honored? Yes.

He’ll be the fifth #24 jersey wearer honored at State, IIRC. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I haven’t looked it up.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

What was the difference between our win @Miami and our loss to them at home?

IMO, a *nc hangover had something to do with it. Play all day was lethargic and sloppy outside of a six minute window where we rallied from a large deficit to take a brief lead before imploding.

In short, outside of Warren’s heroic second half point press defensive efforts we played absolutely zero defense and didn’t rebound the ball. A really offensively challenged Miami team set season highs in many offensive categories in that game. It was disgusting. Lecomte and Swope killed us.

The game at Miami was extremely ugly, but somehow we won … we played our normal ‘meh’ D, which is enough for a team like State to squeak by Miami given how slow they play and how challenged they are. In Raleigh we just didn’t even really bother to show up but for a few minutes.

Should we meet them again I would give us a slight edge – it’s pretty close to a toss up imo. I do not foresee a repeat of what happened last Saturday (not to say we’d definitely win, but I can’t see us giving them the game by not bothering again).

MrPlywood
    Participant

from the AP article posted via ESPN.com:

“It marked the first time an ACC player scored at least 40 points in consecutive games since Georgia Tech’s Kenny Anderson did it in December 1990, while Warren became the first since 1957 to do it in two straight league games. Overall, only six other ACC players have done it.
    Warren is the first N.C. State player to score 40 in consecutive games since program great David Thompson did it in December 1974.”

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Warren became the first since 1957 to do it in two straight league games.

… they got that from wral.com…
    … and they got it from the same PR dept running this as put that ‘stupid logo’ in the middle of the football field…

1957… Lenny Rosenblum comes to mind… idk…
    need to ask OT13 that…
    he’s probably got that book…

that was the “Shavlic” era…

To be clear we are talking about “BackToBack Conference Games” here….
    not ‘the Sisters of the Poor’ and GardnerWebb

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Prowling Woofie
    Participant

Hey, I know it was only BC, but that was a magnificent performance by Warren last night. Just magnificent.

We’re gonna miss him…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

In hindsight, this team wins 2 of 3: Clemson/Wake/Miami.
    Could also gripe about: UNC, Syracuse.
    So close, yet so far away. We are on a long ride.

I think Plywood said it first… a couple of weeks ago…

The difference here is… Five… that is…

“Five more rebounds…
    Five more 50/50 balls…
    Five less turnovers…
    Five more Free Throws…
    … in Forty Minutes”

Pick three out of four…
    It’s a just a slim difference in energy, focus and concentration…

Hey, I know it was only BC, but that was a magnificent performance by Warren last night. Just magnificent.

To put this in a better perspective….
    In the old Eight Team ACC… scoring BackToBack Forties against BC and Pitt… would have been the equivalent of the same against any team at 3 – 6 in the conference standings that season…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 24 posts - 226 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.