Book Report – The Legends Club – a MUST READ

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Book Report – The Legends Club – a MUST READ

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adventuroo
    Participant

I am not a world class reader. I have probably read more biographies or semi-biographies than all other types of “reading for pleasure”. Got a whole book shelf of NCSU Basketball and Valvano books. I received John Feinstein’s “The Legends Club” – Smith, Krzyzewski & Valvano as an early father’s day and late birthday present a week ago.

I started reading it at Emerald Isle last Monday and am almost finished. And I did NOT read any this past weekend.

I heartily recommend it to any person that loves ACC (or NCAA for that matter) basketball and the drama behind the games. Have not read any of Feinstein’s other books. I also take for granted that his research is accurate. He said that he had all of his old notes and tapes on all three coaches and decided to write a book about their relationship to each other and also their impact on basketball. He got permission from Linnea Smith and Pam Valvano Strasser and Mikey to do the book.

He has, IMHO, certainly outdone himself. I will not go into any particular detail or story….but having read quite a bit about Jimmy V, the comments and “straightening out” that he does is consistent with other authors.

I will probably finish the book later this week. I quit tonight and got a bit teary eyed as he described V’s passing on April 28, 1993. Gotta let that one air out for awhile.

He also keeps the pace and the story interesting. He follows a good timeline and weaves in each coach’s life and events and interactions and also stays on point by keeping basketball as the focus….but you learn a lot about their personalities.

Hope that a few of you will also enjoy it….

Right now, I also practicing my “rooster” crowing to cheer on Coastal Carolina. We were the only team, thus far, to defeat them in post season play. Their record is impressive….and I hope it continues that way.

choppack1
    Participant

Adventuroo – I got this book for my birthday and I am looking forward to reading it.

I have read alot of feinstein’s other stuff and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Mike
    Participant

Feinstein is a great writer and I will read anything he writes. In spite of being a Dookie, I will read it and have probably read 10 of his books or so. Please read the book on Tom Watson’s caddy, Bruce Edwards – WOW.

I just got back from the beach and tried to check this book out for my time in the sand but it was checked out at the library and had several dozen holds. Maybe next year but I cant wait for this one.

peteavio
    Participant

When he pitched the book, the description he gave his editors is that this is a love story. Very well written and engaging, i read it over the course of my commute a while ago. I love the anecdotes and the behind closed door discussions.

His story is well balanced, but given his access does tend to linger on K. In any case, i walked away with a lot of respect for all the coaches. Feinstein painted a great portrait of all three men and their uniqueness.

The chapter on V’s health decline and death was incredibly moving. I got teary eyed on the bus.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.