Blocked PAT rule

Home Forums StateFans Football Blocked PAT rule

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    inhoc…
    Participant

After watching the UT ND blocked extra point get returned for 2 the other way, it reminded me of something I saw a while back.

While I was sure a blocked kick returned was worth 2 points, I SWEAR I have seen that exact same scenario play out, HOWEVER the refs only awarded the team one (1) point since “the attempt was only for 1 point”. Almost sure it was at a State game, in fact.

Has anyone else seen this? Is that just an NFL rule? How could I have seen this happen, and what am I missing?

Could it have been the kicking team recovering in the endzone only getting 1 point?

I did a perusal of the Wikipedia article on this topic but I don’t think this is the same case as the “1 point safety”

Either way I think I’m going crazy because the last time I saw a PAT blocked I was sure the refs only awarded 1 point to the D.

redisgood
    Participant

It’s a weird one, but apparently if the defense blocks a PAT or recovers the ball on a 2 point attempt, then runs or fumbles it into their end zone and subsequently gets taken down, it’s a one point safety for the offense. According to Wikipedia it’s only happened twice in NCAA history. You may have seen one of those two.

tjfoose1
    Participant

Of course Cherry was on the scene.

tjfoose1
    Participant

LRM
    Keymaster

Reminds me of one of the crazier endings I’ve ever seen: App vs Furman, 2002.

Furman took the lead 15-14 with 0:07 left, but — in retrospect, inexplicably — opted to go for two instead of the PAT and a squib kickoff then prevent against a Hail Mary. App picked-two the attempt for the 16-15 lead, and then Furman still had to kickoff (onsides attempt failed).

Not quite the Iron Bowl Kick 6, but still crazy.

Pack78
    Participant

^I remember listening to the end of that game on the way home from one of ours…Appy announcers justifiably went nuts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.