BIG BOYS in the Bahamas… Arizona Zona Game Thread…

Home Forums StateFans Basketball BIG BOYS in the Bahamas… Arizona Zona Game Thread…

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    Gowolves
    Participant

Second win against a top five team not in the ACC when we were not ranked. The last was in the 1950’s. Per WRAL.

Pack1997
    Participant

All we wanted was the kids to play hard for 40 minutes. Play solid defense. Regardless of outcome. Surprised by the win yes but more surprised with effort and composure. We are fun to watch!

GoldenChain
    Participant

Well what do you know?! Been waiting 28 seasons for a coach/team that knows how to play tenacious defense coupled with some offensive firepower! Praise Jesus he let me live long enough to see it.
    One game does not a career make but Keatts definitely has these kids playing as a team. Seamless, they all seem to know where the other is going to be, no stupid TOs, 10 for the game which is great by NCSU standards.
    And this PG?! Is he the real deal or what?!
    GO PACK! BEAT Northern Iowa!
    Nice article that sums up how I feel, this is a different look Pack:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/119946/braxton-beverly-and-nc-state-serve-notice-with-upset-of-no-2-arizona

4in12
    Participant

Braxton Beverly looks like the guy we all hoped Tyler Lewis would be. He definitely reminds me of Corch.

I was thinking the whole time that he reminds me of Monty Towe.

4in12
    Participant

I texted a friend last night: “State basketball hasn’t been this much fun to watch in two decades, maybe three”. A team that actually plays defense – what a concept! It also seems that this wasn’t a team putting together a near perfect performance to pull out an upset – there is still a lot of room for improvement.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

I’m still smiling ’bout last night’s game…

For the record…

In my mind, when you get outrebounded 39 -31 and only have 4 steals and your opponent gets 84 points and only makes 8 turnovers that’s not exactly stellar defense. Hustle and Defense are not the same things. Hustle necessarily comes first however, and we should see Defense continue to improve steadily as the Team comes together…

On the other end of the court, however, for any squad who lost 80% of their offense from the previous season, with a new Coach and a bunch of new guys to score 90 pts this early in the season while playing small ball against a BIG team is most impressive, especially when you consider that the great majority of those were from the set offense against two 7 footers!

It’s too early to drink the Kool-Aid, but as noted in multiple places above, this TEAM is going to be fun to watch, except on those 3 or 4 nights in January and February when they’re gonna break our hearts…

Now I’m wondering if either Uncle Roy or Coach Rat watched the game… and I’m hoping our Football Coaches and Team are channeling some of this TEAM’s confidence and composure into Saturday’s game at Carter Stadium.

GO PACK!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Texpack
    Participant

Arizona was stone cold from 3 last night (12%) and not many of them were contested at least in the first half. So far we’ve shown good poise in the half court against what is traditionally a strong defensive team.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Braxton Beverly looks like the guy we all hoped Tyler Lewis would be. He definitely reminds me of Corch.

All while playing in only his 3rd collegiate game. He looked like a damn upperclassman out there. I get goose bumps thinking this kid could be here 4 years.

Texpack
    Participant

Frenchy had some big baskets. Batts looks to be the one who won’t play now that Beverly is eligible. I’m surprised to see Hicks minutes disappear. He did a lot of good things in the first three games.

rthomas44
    Participant

“It’s too early to drink the Kool-Aid, ”
    Gimme another shot of that Flavor-Aid, it’s hittin’ the spot!

4in12
    Participant

A team that actually plays defense…

…that’s not exactly stellar defense.

Maybe I should have said “a team that actually tries on defense…”.

rthomas44
    Participant

Let’s not”pick nits”….we can all be thankful for this start to BB.

Texpack
    Participant

Today’s game is on ESPN2.

choppack1
    Participant

Last night was fun. I think the most impressive thing that I saw from the team was its poise.

These guys came out ready and when Arizona made their run, our guys just handled and went about their business. Personally, I think that shocked Arizona as much as anything. One of the reasons that the Duke’s and UNC-chs of the worlds do so well is that they don’t get flustered.

The impressive thing here is the 90 points on offense and spacing on that end of the floor. Also, Yurtseven is quietly turning into a very solid player, and is showing the kind of potential that made him so highly regarded.

Effort and execution – we did it last night. Even when Gott’s teams were good, they played a slovenly form of basketball. This was evident even when we played Alabama when Gott was there. Magnificent athletes, very capable, but playing slow on offense, and not contesting enough on D. Keatts teams are just the opposite.

I can’t wait to watch us play today.

On another note, can we get a lead radio announcer who actually sounds like he wants NC State to win more than our opponent. Our substitute guy last night sounded just as fired up when Arizona made their run (if not moreso) than when we responded. And truthfully, that’s also my biggest complaint with Hahn.

tractor57
    Participant

Chop I agree totally. Having watched many TV productions the script goes – play up the underdog early, Then in the second half play up the power of the overlord. Sad for them is the game never really met their comments. The Pack was ALWAYS right there in the game. In the second half there was all sorts of comments about AZ taking over the game with their absolute power. Maybe AZ was sleeping a bit but I will say the Pack was right there always. Poise, big plays and AZ got really frustrated with a team who they considered not their equal standing toe to toe. Great game to watch win or lose but the Pack simply played better in this game.

Fastback68
    Participant

The recap on espn was mostly highlights of Arizona. Got to see Braxton hit a 3. Pretty lame coverage of #2 getting torpedoed.

tractor57
    Participant

in the run up today I’m reminded how much I detest Dickie V

MrPlywood
    Participant

in the run up today I’m reminded how much I detest Dickie V

Doesn’t take much, does it? His schtick expired a long time ago.

Fastback68
    Participant

My daughter goes to UT. I told her I couldn’t listen to that jack— and put the game on mute. I didn’t know Rick Barnes coached the Vols.

rthomas44
    Participant

Full of turkey and ready for some BB! Could we be shocked ,shocked again?

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.