Big Bad SEC Stumbles Saturday

Home Forums StateFans Football Big Bad SEC Stumbles Saturday

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

The SEC took a serious knock on the chin yesterday. Obviously still an outstanding conference – probably the country’s best. But they were not so good yesterday. And it looks like things aren’t going to get much better for Spurrier’s Gamecocks. Once an SEC stalwart, the Cocks were average last year and could be worse this year the way things are looking early. And Mizzou needed a late score to top Arkansas State. Florida looked very pedestrian against East Carolina.

The top of the SEC might again be strong, but the conference doesn’t look nearly as good top to bottom. During the SEC’s unprecedented streak of seven consecutive national championships from 2006 to 2012, the league and its fans liked to boast of its collective strength and past dominance. Entering this weekend, 10 of the SEC’s 14 teams were ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 poll.

On Saturday, though, we finally saw cracks in the SEC. Ugly losses by Arkansas and Tennessee — and especially Auburn’s unimpressive victory — put more than a few dents in its reputation.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedayfinal091215/week-2-performances-arkansas-razorbacks-auburn-tigers-expose-flaws-sec-claim-conference-superiority

Texpack
    Participant

Anybody who could look past the ESPN/SEC Network hype has been able to see this for the past five years or so. Mizzou who has no more than mediocre in the Big 12 has won their division two out of three years in the league and A&M has been competitive in the……….SEC West no less. Manny Diaz causing problems for “#14” LSU last night as the DC got fired at Texas because he couldn’t stop anybody. The myth has been exposed even though the money behind the rise of the SEC, namely ESPN, still controls most of what people see and hear about them.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, Tennessee is going to be nationally relevant again this year. I think this makes four years in arrow that they’ve done that.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Oh yeah I almost forgot, Tennessee is going to be nationally relevant again this year. I think this makes four years in arrow that they’ve done that.

They still very much could be. Losing to #19 Okie in 2 OTs doesn’t signify they ate exactly chopped liver. Factor in a rather weak SEC East, or what looks to be, and they absolutely cN still be a factor.

It’s still a deep conference but they were exposed last year, and again yesterday.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Arkansas, Tenn and Miss State are out of the poll, and Aubie falls 12 spots. Like I said, not a good day.

TheCOWDOG

With apologies to my friend, Histick, 3-4 seasons of 10 wins does not a stalwart make.

Alabama will survive, Georgia will always be a tough out.

After that…Meh. It ain’t the conference. It’s the team.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think they are noticeably weaker this season. It was evident to the “eye test” these first two weeks. HUGE dropoff after Bama.

Texpack
    Participant

I think they are noticeably weaker this season. It was evident to the “eye test” these first two weeks. HUGE dropoff after Bama.

With Bama struggling mightily vs Ole Miss LSU looks like the team to beat.

Other than UGa is there an SEC East team that could compete for the ACC Championship?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Other than UGa is there an SEC East team that could compete for the ACC Championship?

Nope.

LSU looks to be the team to beat. Maybe Ole Miss.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Saw that Arkansas lost to Texas Tech. Yikes. Trouble in pig sui land.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.