BeeJay Anya slams 3 consecutive possessions

Home Forums All StateFansNation BeeJay Anya slams 3 consecutive possessions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Of course – similar to how Abdul-Malik Abu was performing before being whistled for multiple touch fouls – after these slams and while Anya was in the
    [See the full post at: BeeJay Anya slams 3 consecutive possessions]

Mike
    Participant

And dont forget the contact on Beejay that went uncalled

Wolfson59
    Participant

Yes I am one of the conspiracy people, but after watching this happen time and time again for over 20 years, I have become somewhat jaded. The Wolfpack does not get the calls the other teams do. Just look at the past 3 games:

Free Throws Pers. Fouls
    Notre Dame   24 14                
     NC State 12 20

Miami   21 10                          
    NC State   4 20

FSU    30 16  (this includes end of game intentional fouls by FSU )                         
    NC State 18  22

That is a total of 75 Free throws for our opponents to only 34 for the Pack in the past three games. Opponents were called for only 40 personal fouls while the pack was hit with 62. The Pack is not fouling more than other teams we are just getting called for more, and at times that kill our momentum. This seems to be the trend especially for our bigs. Our bigs get mugged, (last night a guy landed on Anya’s back before one of the dunks) no foul is called and we get called for touches on the other end. I think this team is doing a good job in light of the odds they play against.

JeremyH
    Participant

Its an interesting theory, but you need more dimensions than foul totals to make this argument cogent.

pack_man_94
    Participant

Can one of our statistics gurus put together a points in the paint to foul comparison? Our inside play has ramped up and that has always been the excuse for the Blues getting more FTAs.

ancsu87
    Participant

Its an interesting theory, but you need more dimensions than foul totals to make this argument cogent.

You can look at the last two games and see it. Go review other ACC games and see where teams with a similar style find so much delta in FTA. Of course don’t look at any game Dule or UNC-CH plays.

When was it Hess was removed as an ACC official???

john of sparta
    Participant

ok.
    jaded.
    20 years.
    fix it…how?
    and how does NCSU (not ACC not NCAA) do it?
    1. make nice. now-a-days, the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
    2. if we’re unwilling to do the above, the below won’t work.
    3. play up. NCAA is sports/entertainment. give a good show.

Mike
    Participant

One of the stats to look at is something I was reviewing earlier and what Wolfson was saying. When the fouls occur and what kind of fouls are called is an interesting concept.

ND was called for 14 fouls and we shot only 12 FT’s.

We were called for 20 fouls and they shot 24 FT’s. Granted, more fouls means more time at the line with the bonus, but it seems all the fouls we commit are shooting fouls and the fouls others commit and non-shooting fouls.

Miami was called for only 10 fouls and we shot 4 FT’s.

We were called for 21 fouls and they shot 21 FT’s.

FSU was called for 16 fouls, and several of those were end of game catch up fouls. We shot 18 FT’s.

We fouled FSU 21 times and they shot 30 FT’s.

I dont have time to do a full statistical analysis (nor am I qualified) but the last 3 games are as follows:
    NC State 62 fouls – opponents shoot 75 FT’s or 1.2 FT’s per foul.
    Opponents 40 fouls – we shoot only 34 FT’s or .85 FT’s per foul.

The fact that the fouls are 62/40 is interesting but the FT’s taken per foul is interesting as well.

The other thing that cannot be measured is the timing of the fouls. Duke several years ago is a prime example – we are way up, the zebras start calling ticky tack fouls on us and the whole complexion of the game changes. Same thing has happened this year on several instances, which takes away the agressiveness on D amd forces us to play passive and scared. Then when other teams can press us and no fouls are called, we start to get tight (of course) and they get away with steals that could be fouls.

I AM NOT A CONSPIRACY THEORIST. John Clougherty is family friend and his sons went to State. But tendencies are observed, and our tendencies seem to get us in trouble rather than watching the actual play.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^^^ok
    John of Sparta…. maybe, if y0u ask Mike nicely…
    … Mike can get John of Clougherty to share some wisdom on “The Art of Fouling”…

————————

Our strengths are also our weaknesses and there is a very fine line that determines our good days and our bad days…

In the ANYA’s case in his first season of serious PT… the “thing” that GOTT him those three blocks in a row is the same thing that gets him stat lines like this…

5pts – 4rebs – 1 steal – 2 blocks – 3 fouls = 5 minutes played

I’m convinced the kid is a beast… and that all he needs to do is learn how to ‘control the beast’, pick his battles and set throttle to 80% beast mode and get his physical and mental stamina up to where he’s getting ‘tendencies’ like this every game…

15pts – 11rebs – 2 steals – 5 blocks – 3 fouls = 30 minutes played

For the rest of us … with basketball… it’s mostly a matter of perspective…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    ncsu_kappa
    Participant

I made a similar post on the most recent SFN article. the timing of our fouls… we have to be the only team that constantly gets the ‘benefit’ of the non shooting foul when we have an unobstructed lane to the basket for a guaranteed layup. Add to that the time like other posters mentioned. We can never really play tough D because the slightest of fouls are called, meanwhile our opponents get to play aggressive.

I don’t think anything can be done but its a frustrating thing to watch and I remember saying long ago if I was a kid, why would I not want the shot in the arm of always getting the benefit of the doubt from the zebras. Hell Tyler Hansborough became an all american by hitting free throws. Most of his misses never counted against him because a whistle was blown, then he picks up 8-10 pts a game at line.

sigh… same story different day

for those who haven’t noticed. Just keep an eye on what gets whistled for us versus against and when they call fouls on the other team its not during one of their runs, and often times we would have been better off without the whistle

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.