BBall Preseason Predictions

Home Forums All StateFansNation BBall Preseason Predictions

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

7. T.Dorn GOTT a haircut….

check that Tony…

Kirk was the kid last year with goofy hair…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    pakfanistan
    Participant

Man I like Shaun Kirk.

Rick
    Keymaster

Shaun of the dread

MrPlywood
    Participant

with goofy hair

“goofy” is in the eye of the beholder 🙂

Can’t get the stream, looks I’ll watch on YouTube after the fact. Sounds good so far.

Rick
    Keymaster

Ply,
    Started slow but picked up rather well.

Gowolves
    Participant

Damn the second half is on fire. Everyone getting in the act!

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

‘dreds > goofy…
    goofy is goofy…

Kirk takes three steps and slams uncontested…

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Last 8 minutes would be am excellent time for BeJay to do some conditioning…
    up and down the court…until he fouls out or passes out, whichever comes first.

How ’bout those Cubs!

MrPlywood
    Participant

I’m in! Thx Firefox. Just in time to see things get sloppy evidently. 7 is more substantial than I was led to believe, I expected a willow.

Rick
    Keymaster

I am not sure 7 is a one and done based on what I have seen so far.

Gowolves
    Participant

Number 11, Mikhel Johnson would start on any other team. That kid has game!

Rick
    Keymaster

[Seinfeld voice]. Newman

Gowolves
    Participant

I am putting $100 on the final four!

MrPlywood
    Participant

Kirk looks like a new man. Not be confused with… Newman.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

8. Coach GOTT facial hair…
    9. Chris Corchiani is a Senior for the second time…

Gowolves
    Participant

All coaches are growing a beard for Combs.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

10. Pack scores a hundred is something less than 40 minutes…

Adventuroo
    Participant

Late thoughts….just catching up. Went to game. Here is my summary.

Abu took a hit. He was in obvious pain. I wondered if he took an errant or unintended crotch shot. The trainer did what looked like a concussion review and then started on the upper body and worked the arms, forearms and finally the shoulders. Mostly upper body…not the old “do a situp and pull on your toes for a crotch shot”. He came back. That is why BJ (somewhat bulging and not nearly as agile or quick as before) was in the game.

We looked like fresh feces for about 3 – 5 minutes. Got down 3 – 14 and GOTT called a TO. That helped. We finally found our rhythm. Maverick NEVER got his shooting eye. BUT, the lad was aggressive on D tonight and was rebounding well. He was good at the charity stripe….but did miss a couple. GOTT did not load the line when he was shooting.

We figured out HOW to play about midway into the first half. We ran a “matchup zone”. Not an expert, but it worked. I noticed the position of the guys in the key, but then there were others that looked like they were in a Man to Man. That was difficult for Lynn (Google it….it is NOT Campbell College). We also started a Zone Press in the second half and that was the key.

Dennis is the REAL deal. Yurt had some moments….and then….Lets just say that he did NOT look a “national team” player. NOW, maybe that is just nerves or whatever. Dennis, OTOH, looked at ease and was a major force. He did NOT play like a kid that missed his Sr. year, in HS. He looked like a seasoned college PG. Abu started out as a ball of fire and got back in the game with no seemingly adverse issues from his “painful” experience. He was a monster on the boards.

About mid H2, Yurt seemed to get going, but he also was out of position and did not dominate like someone his size should be able to do in the ACC. He is, IMHO, a WIP. Will he turn into a lottery pick? I don’t know….and we will NOT find out until mid December. It will be tough to get him integrated into the line-up….think about how tough it was to get Whit back in…

Speaking of 1983, Trivia for you. WHICH 1983 NCAA Coach that SHOULD have eliminated the WP in the opening round of NCAA play was “in the house” tonight. YEP….Jimmy Harrick. He was with the coaches and participated (most of the time) in the TO and Huddles. The gentlemen is 78 and has some mobility issues. Since I am only 7 years younger, I shudder to think that this might be my fate. I quit slalom water skiing about 2 years ago….so maybe THAT will not be my fate. He carried on conversations and studied the stats. Talk about a ghost from the past. Wonder if THAT will exorcise Jimmy V’s EVIL ghost from the Building?

Folks are complaining on other sites about us letting Lynn score 66. Gott cleared the bench early. We had only TWO guys that did not play. Gott’s son, Cameron, and another player. Both were not dressed out. Injuries or punishment? Don’t know. However, Cameron was shagging balls. As they headed to the locker room before the game started, he casually picked up a loose ball from the bench area and nailed a pretty 3 pointer. I guess the Apple does NOT fall far….

One thing will be evident, we have MORE talent (at least AFTER the firs few minutes of Jitters) than we have available PT.

Coach Schroyer was very active and dominant during the game. He was vocal and also calling the D. He was also the one that was actually “dominating” the huddle….not always, but Gott was seated and Coach Heath was “talking” and directing them. I was NOT impressed with our two new hires. BUT, we ran some D that was so NOT TYPICAL….THAT was great to see.

We had a LOT of communication while on D on the floor. We also had a lot “Natural Teamwork” or maybe Ad Libbing on Offense. There was one play that I swear had 6 assists. They seemed “IN SYNC” and were ready for the unplanned passes that “popped up”. It has been a LONG time since I saw a State team that could react and make it look like an art form. Remember, I still watch the 1983 team and Lowe and Whit were always in sync…

NOW….as the Investment Warning goes….Past (one EXH Game….).does NOT a predictor of future performance make…. BUT, even with the warts, we looked pretty good tonight…..and they played like a team….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

‘B’rer ‘Roo….

Yes … for the first game… after the first five minutes, the kids played “Together” better than most would expect them to, especially when one considers the numbers of different combinations of different kids on the floor at the same time.

It will be interesting to see who becomes the “team leaders”, which as we all know is not the same as “captains”.

My early money would be on Abu and Smith.

—————–

Smith has the potential to be one of top five GOATs at guard who played in the Red & White of NC State.
    IF he stays around long enough to get the stats and the trophies, doesn’t get hurt, etc.

That begs the question…
    Who are the TOP GIVE GOATS (guards) who played in the Red & White of NC State ???

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Who are the TOP (F)IVE GOATS (guards) who played in the Red & White of NC State ???

I can’t go back further than the 70s, but here’s mine:
    Monty Towe
    Whitt and Lowe
    Corch and Rodney

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Speaking of predictions, what tidbits do you predict will be repeated by every announcer of every Pack game this year?

* Will Anya’s wingspan still be in play? I assume the weight watchers will keep us up to date on the fluctuations. Perhaps a combo: Anya’s wingspan is now the same as his waistline?
    * DSJ coming off an injury and missing his senior season I’m sure will be mentioned as well as who knows what else considering he is the BMOC at the moment.
    * Y7’s 9-game suspension. Maybe his nationality gets some play.

What other tidbits do you think we’ll be treated to ad nauseam throughout the season?

rthomas44
    Participant

Cafferky,72
    Brevity is the soul of wit.

tractor57
    Participant

For one year – Clyde Austin and Brian Mosier (sp?). Brian blew out a knee and he and older brother Steve went back to the midwest. Norm Sloan era.

Adventuroo
    Participant

BTOB,

What is the definition of TOP FIVE GIVE GOATS? READ ON….this ain’t simple without criteria….so it MIGHT be Subjective….

Total Assists during their career? Corchiani is #2 with 1038 and Hurley is #1 with 1076…and that is TOTAL NCAA, NOT ACC
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_career_assists_leaders

OK….here are the Categories…..MOST are TOP TEN…except the Career….which is a top TWENTY…

Total Assists per SEASON…This is the TOP 10. SO, you start with Assists in a GAME.
    20 Assists Corchiani – TOP and ONLY 20 Game Assist in School record
    18 Assists
    Lowe & Webb – ONE Game Each
    16 Assists
    Corchiani – THREE games….NO others
    15 Assist
    Corchiani – TWO Games
    Benjamin & Perry – ONE Game Each

Total Assists per SEASON…There are FIVE. The numbers following the Name are their Ranks…..Read Carefully…
    Corchiani – 1; 3; 4 & 5….The list was RANKED by Total Assists per Season. SO, he has 4 of the TOP TEN Seasons
    Lowe – 2; 9 & 10
    Brown – 4 & 6
    McMillian – 7
    Webb – 8

Total Assist – Career
    Corchiani – 1038 – NCAA # 2 Record….still standing after all these years…
    Lowe – 762
    Brown – 589
    Austin – 473
    Hodge – 454
    NOTE….Towe came in at #12….only place he had a ranking….This is the only category with a top TWENTY….

Assist to Turnover Ratio – Career
    Lewis – 3.05
    Lowe – 2.94
    Corchiani – 2.60
    Webb – 2.30
    McMillian – 2.18

MOST Consecutive Assists….WITHOUT a Turnover IN A GAME…as the individual Games are listed.. Same as the Assists per Game….you start with the MOST and work your way down.
    15 Assists WITHOUT a Turnover in a GAME(AWTG)
    Benjamin – ONE Game
    13 AWTG
    Lowe – TWO Games
    Corchiani – ONE Game
    12 AWTG
    Lowe – ONE Game
    11 AWTG
    Lowe – TWO Games
    Lewis; Corchiani and Jackson – ONE Game
    10 AWTG
    Lowe – TWO Games
    Crawford & Gannon – One Game

No data available for Assists while wearing “Shorts” or Unitards….

YOU TELL ME….it was your question and the criteria was a bit “loosey goosey”. My data is accurate (I swear by my source)….unlike all the Under, Even, Over, Over X 2, Over X 3 and Over X 4 MSM Political Polls that are the current rage….

Brain is now totally awakened and body wants some more sleep. Make the call….you can be the SCOTUS on this as YOU asked the question….

Adventuroo
    Participant

PackerInRussia,

Sort of depends on how you DEFINE the Announcers. Also you have to have the Audio of EACH Game and the Media. I don’t hear the PbP from the radio for home games as I am in the stands. I watch the away if on TV. I listen to the away if NOT on TV on the local station. IF I am traveling and the game is NOT on TV and there is NO local station carrying it….then I usually get it on Sirus/XM. That will be the HOME Brewed PbP. IF, in the unlikely event, I travel and it is a HOME game is not on the local TV or Cable, then I will have Tony and Gary on XM….if I can set up an antenna on the Motel Balcony (which I have done)…usually in motor home, but sometimes due to trees…it is blocked out…..finally, I try to stream if all else fails.

OK….I will stop being a Wise Apple…I think (Hopefully) that Gottfried’s Stubble or beard will be brought up to honor Chris Combs and also get donations to ALS.

DJS will have to really shine and once he does….the One and OUT talk will dominate.

Y7 – That will be a topic (Excuse?) for any losses during the first 9. Afterwards, if we do NOT win, it will be the reason as he was not allowed to “get into and mix (chemistry) with the GAME FLOW”. NOW, if we have a lousy PRE Y7 and then explode, he will take a LOT of the spotlight from DSJ.

WILD ASS PREDICTION OF THE YEAR….ABU starts to get HIT and is taking shots. He will appear in a White Sport Coat, with a RED Carnation and some type of “Head Apparel”. He will say that he is a target. ESPN will pick up this story and run with it and then conclude that, due to his religious beliefs, he is being harassed by certain anti-Muslim players, teams, fans, etc. It will dominate the “talk Sports shows” and eventually he will be granted an audience with Swofford. Afterwards, players will be suspended if they even enter a 0.75 Meter “Centre” which he will be granted. He will score more points and get more rebounds than any other player in the country….

I COULD have written that about Y7 or DSJ or maybe any of our players….if I changed the events and such. My point…today’s Sports Commentary is more about Political Issues (especially on ESPN) than it is about “How they play the game”. Off Court and Political Drama (Correctness and INCorrectness) SUPPOSEDLY drives Ratings….and the Ratings have SUFFERED….in that there are WAY too many outlets for you (look at my list). SO, you gotta go over the TOP and grab your “Ratings Share”. One totally innocent action on the field (court) or maybe off court can morph into the STORY du JOUR and Social Media will either grant Sainthood or Vilify to levels never seen before.

With almost 95 Million folks NOT ACTIVELY SEEKING Employment today and receiving assistance, you gotta have SOMETHING to entertain them….

Your post is spot on….there will be “talking points”. There already ARE. The Radio Announcers have their own Note Cards. The Talking Heads on TV have ear pieces and the PRODUCERS feed them info. There is a covey of young and underpaid (if paid at all) interns constantly fact checking and looking at social media trends and they will take off on a tangent….if it means keeping the audience watching. SAME for the constant ESPN “opinions” show that dominate the afternoon.

I do NOT listen to them….but I see them on the TV’s when I work out in the afternoons at my Wellness Center. Take a controversial position….exploit it…do your damage….get a raise…or a bonus.

It all started with Roone Arledge…when he had Don Meredith dump water on Howard Cosell. Howard was NEVER the same after that….

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.