Baylor's awesome new stadium

Home Forums StateFans Football Baylor's awesome new stadium

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

This is a long way from that awful furnace in which I sat in 100+ degree heat in 1998.

12 Pictures of McLane Stadium

Fact: we’re putting a $235 million stadium on the Brazos River that 44 million people are going to see a year that’s gonna represent Baylor University for generations to come. We’re one of the only schools in America to have a stadium on a river and on a major highway. Lot of people have beautiful stadiums, but you gotta drive to ’em. This one’s in your face. That’s a fact. — Art Briles

ancsu87
    Participant

It is a great stadium but was surprised it only held 45,000 basis the cost and talk.

tjfoose1
    Participant

I heard packalum44 is pissed off at our mediocrity because we settled for a stadium without a river.

LRM
    Keymaster

In the past two decades only two teams (Oregon, Virginia Tech) have emerged as sustained national powers (am I overlooking anyone?)

Baylor has been making its case to become the next one.

Wulfpack
    Participant

In the past two decades only two teams (Oregon, Virginia Tech) have emerged as sustained national powers (am I overlooking anyone?)

Perhaps Louisville? Stanford? Michigan State? Iowa?

I wouldn’t put Virginia Tech in the “national power” classification like I would Oregon. Beamer has built a very strong program, surely. But not national championship caliber. That’s why I lump in those other programs I mention.

LRM
    Keymaster

You’d consider Louisville, Iowa, Michigan State and Stanford over Virginia Tech?

I stand firmly by my statement: Oregon and VT.

The key is sustained. Virginia Tech (under Beamer) has won 3 Big East and 4 ACC titles and played for a national title (1999). They have more ACC titles since joining than FSU in that same time. They’ve played for as many national titles in the past 20 years as Oregon.

Meanwhile, Michigan State and Iowa each have only two conference titles in the past 20 years. Louisville hasn’t been apart of a BCS conference for 10 years and won a Big East title at 7-6 (and lost to State in Charlotte). Stanford has 9 losing seasons in the past 20 years (State only has 7). None of these are powers over VT.

Texpack
    Participant

The cost of McLane Stadium is pretty high when you consider that UH built TDECU Stadium for 120 Million and it holds 40,000. Both of these have an expansion plan already designed into the original stadiums, so unless the foo foo factor makes Uncle Drayton’s place really stand out, I’m not seeing why the cost difference was so high.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

“I wouldn’t put Virginia Tech in the “national power” classification like I would Oregon”
    I think it’s splitting hairs to not call VPI a national power. They’ve had back–to-back subpar performances by “national power” standards, but in the past 20 years they have thirteen 10+ win seasons. I’m not going to do the research, but in the past 25 years I bet the list of teams with a stretch like that is pretty limited. Oregon has nine 10+ win seasons in that same period; 6 in the past 6 years.
    Now, VPI may have peaked and we may be witnessing the preface to their program’s nose dive, but I still consider them a national power.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I think it’s splitting hairs to not call VPI a national power. They’ve had back–to-back subpar performances by “national power” standards, but in the past 20 years they have thirteen 10+ win seasons. I’m not going to do the research, but in the past 25 years I bet the list of teams with a stretch like that is pretty limited. Oregon has nine 10+ win seasons in that same period; 6 in the past 6 years.
    Now, VPI may have peaked and we may be witnessing the beginning of their decline, but I still consider them a national power.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

It’s easy to forget how good VPI has been for the past 20 years because of their recent mediocrity. In the past 20 years VPI has thirteen 10+ win seasons. That is astounding to me for a ‘lil ole land grant school in Blacksburg, Va. In that same period, Oregon has nine (six straight in the past six years).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.