Baylor Fires Briles

Home Forums StateFans Football Baylor Fires Briles

Tagged: 

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Wulfpack
    Participant

A day after the university President was ousted, Briles is toast as well. Big news.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15745318/baylor-bears-dismiss-football-coach-art-briles

Pack1997
    Participant

Maybe they will hire Fedora.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Taking responsibility for a problem and doing something about it – how refreshing.

Texpack
    Participant

What I find incredible is that they did this with only one investigation and without $36 million spent on PR.

Art Briles’ son will remain on staff as the OC. they want to keep the fannies in the seats.

I was an Art Briles booster for our job when we hired TOB. I had never heard he was a slime ball at that time.

tjfoose1
    Participant

As they should have.

The findings in the report should not come as a surprise to those who tracked who Briles ‘recruited’ and what he was willing to look past.

The Sam Ukwuachu case sealed my opinion of Briles, the man. Boise State even warned Baylor about the kid, and told them not to take him in. And that case was certainly not an aberration of the goings on at Baylor.

Pack78
    Participant

Wasn’t it Baylor that had big time problems in their basketball program a few years ago including a murder? I may be misremembering, but it was one of the Texas universities…

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yep, that was Baylor. Agreed it was time for Briles to hit the road. Will be interesting to see what school with no standards gets him.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Former Wake coach Jim Grobe named interim coach at Baylor:

“He has successfully led two FBS programs during his career,” McCaw said in the statement. “Coach Grobe enjoys an impeccable reputation within the intercollegiate athletics community and is a man of great integrity and faith.”

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15834890/ian-mccaw-baylor-bears-resigns-jim-grobe-named-interim-coach

Texpack
    Participant

Baylor AD has now resigned.

Pack1997
    Participant

What a great job by Baylors BOT. They cleaned house, as well as hired the best ft for interim coach you can find. Grobe will bring honesty and integrity to that program. Most importantly though he will bring accountability. While I don’t believe they will win a conference championship, at least BOT seems to get it.

tractor57
    Participant

Of course in the past they may have encouraged the conduct that they now find so bad. Agreed it was time to come clean but I’m not giving them a pass just yet …

Wulfpack
    Participant

Starr resigns as Chancellor. Will still teach law.

Saw where Baylor is losing a ton of recruits. To be expected I suppose. You would think this will only help Strong at Texas.

Texpack
    Participant

Starr resigns as Chancellor. Will still teach law.

Saw where Baylor is losing a ton of recruits. To be expected I suppose. You would think this will only help Strong at Texas.

The Houston area recruits are looking at UH. Texas hasn’t really recruited this part of the state heavily in 10 years.

BJD95
    Keymaster

As we saw last year, TCU was highly dependent on their now-departed QB. So the Big 12 could take quite the tumble in terms of overall strength and watchability. Hopefully our hillbilly friends at West By God Virginia step up and give Okie a challenge.

Texpack
    Participant

Eight 2016 recruits have asked for a release from their NLI. The depth is going to be impacted pretty soon.

Mike
    Participant

What really bothers me about this – I was driving last week and flipped in car to 99.9 TheUNXFan during the 12-3 slot. I dont normally listen at that time and hit the button by mistake, but the UNXHomer whom I refuse to listen caught my attention.

He was saying how terrible the situation is (and I personally am not defending the charges) because the SCHOOL and ADMINISTRATION covered up the charges in order to win football games. He continued on the same theme that the coaches knew, the admin knew, and no matter who is harmed in the process, as long as games were won on the field that was all that mattered. With a blatant disregard for anything else, what a travesty occurred simply for the sake of protecting the program.

While the statements are true, the irony is not lost. I so badly wanted to call in and say look in your own backyard. Delete the word Baylor and insert the word UNCheat and the commentary would have been spot on. But I guess those people over there make a difference because this is a criminal investigation and not an academic one.

Then the next group came on at 3 with basically the same comments, still completely ignoring the facts that once again substitute UNX for Baylor and the issue was the same – covering up for the sole purpose of winning games and thinking the power of the administration was too big to fail. It truly made me sick to my stomach how these people would trash Baylor and ignore 20 miles up the interstate.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.