Basketball Doth Approach

Home Forums All StateFansNation Basketball Doth Approach

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

It’s getting closer.  I’m honestly not sure what to expect this year.  The talent is there, but we’ll have to wait and see how it all comes together.
    [See the full post at: Basketball Doth Approach]

MrPlywood
    Participant

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0582962884020015414-4

North Carolina State coach Mark Gottfried said he’s expecting the NCAA to rule on 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven’s eligibility, “in the next week to 10 days… we’ve spent time in practice forseeing that he will play and we’ve spent time with the possibility that he may miss some games. But we don’t know yet. I don’t know enough to even really guess at this point.”

Primewolf
    Participant

Gott does need to remain shirted and prove to all he is a good coach and well overachieves the predicted 6th place finish.

Wish I still had my season tics this year.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Hearing rumors that Kapita is not going to be cleared to play at all this season. But still just rumors on both international guys.

Reading all the ACC Media basketball press, beginning to sound a little like football. We’ll be a lot better, but may not make the huge leap we hope for. The ACC is going to be so strong this year, it’s going to be rough to get the quality wins we need for high ranking. Especially since the OOC schedule is light. Still seeing this as a NCAAT team, but every game’s going to be brutal after the beginning of the year.

PapaJohn
    Participant

Primewolf – I’m hearing there are still season tix available.

Ironic thing about our “basketball school.” We’re selling all the football season tickets and packing C-F for a 6-7 win team – certainly no one is expecting a league or national championship football team.
    But the basketball team, with two possible NBA lottery picks, with a good chance at a post season appearance, and at least a lot better chance to win every night than last year’s team – can’t sell all the season tickets – and always has an embarrassing number of empty seats no matter who we play.

Adventuroo
    Participant

PapaJohn. YES, the empty seats are embarrassing. There was a long discussion on this many years ago. There were, more importantly, some long discussions between the AD and the WPC. Right now, the BULK of the seats, I am told, that are empty are really OLD LTR’s. Most are purchased in businesses for customers and clients. It is a little hard to say this….but sometimes, you can’t even GIVE them away. I know this for a fact. My wife’s former boss had a large block of Deandome tickets. He could not even give them away to clients. He stopped going and also told his office manager to let the employees have them….no limit. THAT was during the Pre-Roy years….and there were MORE State Fans at the UNC Vs. NCSU in 2003, than UNC fans. Obviously, that changed.

There is an email of “encouragement” that is sent (or was) to folks that do not show up. With the advent of UPC scanning, there is a “No Show” list generated each morning….so they KNOW whom they are.

It has been suggested, and probably rightfully rejected, that the sidelines area be “opened up” after Q1. They could print out “temporary” tickets so that you were required to sit in a Vacant (based on past games attendance). That plan has not been implemented and the comment was “We can NOT give away LTR’s to fans….since they were paid for by the long time holders….even if they do NOT attend” I understand that and was told that this is a “high level” priority to get SOMEONE (from the holder) in the seats. I think that any suggestion, within reason, would be considered….I tried and failed.

Bottom line, the MAIN $$ concern is MORE about the UPPER’s and also keeping the “Individual Donors” in the 200 level and the Champions Club. I have 4 there and there are folks that have dropped them, after almost completing their 10 year pledge….they are just frustrated and/or family/business environment changed.

These tickets and the 300’s actually “make or break” the finances….as the 100’s on each sideline are considered as “SOLD”. The evaporation of fans in the 300’s was the primary reason that Sydney left a year or so early. When I bought my first LTR’s in 2006, I was told that it would take a very HIGH 5 or maybe even a 6 figure (to the LEFT of the decimal) to get seats on the sidelines…..OUCH. I chose the 200 and wound up in the Champions Club.

OTHER comment…..anyone listen to this or read the article….

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article110681087.html

Obviously Dennis is a confident young man. I hope that he lives up to 50 – 75% of his potential. I DO worry that he will go “CJ” on us….we DO have a lot of potential….as we have always had…but never quite put it together. YES, we did make the Sweet 16 twice, but we have also had a lot of “OMG” seasons mixed in.

I expected better when I bought my 2 LTR’s in 2006 and then added 2 more in 2008….but a LOT of water has spilled and sometimes not too much to show for it….other than my expanding waistline during BB season….Free (OK, I pay for if) Food does console you from time to time….

BJD95
    Keymaster

As we have had the conversation many, many times…the arena is TOO. DAMNED. BIG. It would be too big if we were the only show in town (college or pro) for a 250-mile radius, which we are obviously not.

Plus, the mid-week, often late night games lead to a super high number of sofa/teevee box fans. The way it is, everywhere.

Back to the product on the court, we’ve talked before ad infinitum about our team of introverts. OK, now we’ve got our outspoken leader type in DSJ. Shake it up and see how she pours.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Well, we COULD pull out the seats like NASCAR is doing. I still think that some type of “You Don’t SHOW….we allow others to USE your prime seats….” policy is needed. YES, it would take a little computer effort and also, IF the folks showed up, then they would certainly have the right (since the have the tickets) to their seat. BUT, we WOULD fill up the lower sections and the place, from a TV perspective, would not look that sparce…..However, I do NOT have to cater to big time and loyal donors….

I agree with BJD95…..If she really “Shakes them up”, I will watch and enjoy and keep ordering to see “how she pours”

choppack1
    Participant

Agreed with the comments on the size of the arena.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the worst thing that happened to nc state was coupling the arena with the canes.

Not only did we get an arena that wasn’t totally ours, it was built to host hockey which means even durn good seats (and expensive ones) are far from the action. It’s a monstrosity and has created an embarrassing situation – and has reduced the special feeling that nc State basketball once had.

Hopefully the canes bolt soon or get their downtown arena and we can make it something that is more of a fit for nc state.

I used to have season tickets and i can honestly say I don’t miss a minute of it. I live in Winston and it’s quite an obligation even to do a “wolf” or “pack” package. And those seats were too far away for a 2 hour trip in a half empty arena.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Well, we COULD pull out the seats like NASCAR is doing. I still think that some type of “You Don’t SHOW….we allow others to USE your prime seats….” policy is needed. YES, it would take a little computer effort and also, IF the folks showed up, then they would certainly have the right (since the have the tickets) to their seat. BUT, we WOULD fill up the lower sections and the place, from a TV perspective, would not look that sparce…..However, I do NOT have to cater to big time and loyal donors….

I agree with BJD95…..If she really “Shakes them up”, I will watch and enjoy and keep ordering to see “how she pours”

Just brainstorming here, could we do a use ’em or lose ’em policy?

rthomas44
    Participant

The top ring of seats, you can’t give away. All rows are too close, front to back. My knees are pressed hard into the seat in front. Not comfy at all. HD 4K is toooo good!

BassPacker
    Participant

I used have season basketball tickets, gave them up for LTR football seats as couldn’t afford both and quite frankly, the football gameday experience is better than the game night for basketball…IMO. Got more bang for bucks with football unless was content with 300 section seating. I don’t regret giving up basketball seats at all, in fact I enjoy not having the feeling I gotta go to justify the cost. Now I just show up when can, snatch a couple tix outside the arena, usually half the cost and lower level seats.
    Hopefully more will show up if the product on the court is as advertised. Have to admit, if take away the tailgating social part of football, probably would have given up my LTR seats in Carter. I’ve paid for them years ago, hopefully one season soon will see them as a good investment. So far, its been a good tailgate with friends mostly.

choppack1
    Participant

And see basspacker – That’s the problem isn’t it.

Of course, in the acc of our youth the games were played in Reynolds, Cameron and Carmichael. Arenas that were special even for mediocre games…and yep, a lot smaller.

Football, OTOH, you only have 6 home games…and they are either on weekends or Thursday night. The event is much more enjoyable.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

I live in Winston and it’s quite an obligation even to do a “wolf” or “pack” package. And those seats were too far away for a 2 hour trip in a half empty arena.

The top ring of seats, you can’t give away. All rows are too close, front to back. My knees are pressed hard into the seat in front. Not comfy at all. HD 4K is toooo good!

When the product on the court consistently fails to meet expectations, then it is inevitable for these types of evaluations to be made. Even if you could wave a magic wand and make the empty lower deck problem disappear, I don’t see a huge increase in attendance with more results like we’ve seen since V.

Hopefully more will show up if the product on the court is as advertised.

It will take more than an unexpected S-16 appearance to generate interest in consistently buying seats requiring a telescope to see the court.

But we probably need to put this whole issue into perspective. Ever since moving basketball off campus, State has been in the Top-25 nationwide in attendance EVERY YEAR, including Sid’s tenure. So I’m confident that attendance issues will be resolved once the product on the court justifies it.

choppack1
    Participant

Va Wolf – yea. The attendance “issues” will be solved, but it will still look bad on TV and for the majority of the games will still feel like a mausoleum

PapaJohn
    Participant

What about a ‘3 strikes you’re out’ policy. Miss three in a row, can’t renew in that section next season. Next man up. (debate the exact number (3,4,5…) amongst yourselves)
    Slowly but surely, the bowl gets filled with people that will show up most nights. Volume / crowd intensity increases, regain or improve the home court advantage.

choppack1
    Participant

PapaJohn – can’t really do this. I imagine most have paid the ltrs – and those ain’t being replaced. I do like an “upgrade” policy.

And I think they may try something but I doubt mucb more effort or $$ is put in it.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I urge all loyal and concerned fans to ask some questions, and perhaps give alternative solutions, to the AD and also the WPC. I’m a true Don Quixote type, but my lance is broken and I almost need a “help me…I’v fallen…” button with a fresh battery….as I have broached this before several times and from several fronts.

I DO understand the “LTR” is a contract.
    I DO understand that the seats are PAID FOR.
    I also DO understand that there are “Ways” to get into the sidelines section if you have a friend that is an usher….they tell you…”Find a seat….if someone says it is theirs…..Go quietly to another”. I have actually, before I purchased my LTR’s done that on several occasions.
    I actually chose 200 level seats when I bought my LTR’s as there are “staircases” that let you go down there. THAT was an influence….but then when the Champions Club opened up and my original two LTR’s were swallowed….my DW, the REAL BB Fan, said….We’re in and did not even LOOK at the price. She loves it…and that makes her happy….and that, as most know, also keeps us BOTH happier….
    I DO understand that an automatic email or even a robo call from Coach GG gets to be tiresome….sort of like all the calls that I get to vote for a certain candidate….

UNC had tried some ticket swaps and such….but they ran into the same issues. Their solution, If you WIN, they will COME…

Maybe the solution is to hold a “special WPC gathering” for the folks who have less than a 50% attendance record. Invite them to a cocktail hour. Let Bobby, Debbie and Mark all “extol” WHY they are letting down the pack. RISK….They will give up their seats. Reward, there are a lot of folks, I think, that WOULD upgrade….THEN, you get to sell that mule again…

BUT, I do NOT have an advanced degree in Sport Management and Marketing….

choppack1
    Participant

Roo – I don’t know how many are true pack fans or are the corporate kind. Like you, I think something could be done. I do know if I had 6 figures to throw away, I would entertain the investment, not sure how often I would go.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.