Basketball 4* commits that makes four

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Basketball 4* commits that makes four

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    freshmanin83
    Participant

Saddam Bey 6″7 195 SF. The 2018 recruiting class ranked 12 nationally now.

choppack1
    Participant

Yep. Impressive start for Keatts but I am not surprised. I will be surprised if he’s not successful here.

ryebread
    Participant

I love the recruiting that KK and staff have done. This is exactly what we need to be doing. Load up on 4 star, 4 year kids that clearly fit with a system we’re trying to run. Win some games and we can sprinkle in a 5 star here or there. It’s important if we are targeting a 5 star, we go after ones that are fits for the system and ones that are of high character.

HWSNBN’s second 5 years was the closest to this model that we have had (in our post V years). The problem was that the system he picked was just a flawed one for college basketball. It fit his personality and projected self image, so I understand why he picked it, but the longer he went with it and the more he recruited to it, the harder it was for him to transition out of it when its obvious limitations had been reached.

KK plays a style of basketball that I absolutely love. I think playing that way we can go 10+ deep in the bench, which is unheard of in high major college ball. Play a deep bench and let everyone contribute, and you keep kids happy helping player retention. Keep the players and we can have one of the veteran teams that make deep runs in the NCAAs, picking off “more talented” but younger teams (ah la Duke, UCLA and Kentucky). Taking it to the opposition and mixing in a little “Showtime” will put bodies in the seats and make the whole process that much easier.

For the first time since V we have a coach that clearly has a vision and a philosophy that could work at NC State. Here’s to hoping that the results on the floor match.

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – I think in the minority but I think the system was fine. I think Herb’s problem was his tendency to micromanage.

He could get away with it when he had an alpha dog like Hodge.

But his teams desperately needed that guy. Tactically he was solid. He wasn’t great at adjustments (like our current football coach) – but his teams were typically well prepared enough for that not to be an issue. Unfortunately, he couldn’t inspire confidence.

My impression is that Keatts can inspire confidence. I also think he is planning on playing a much bigger line-up that some are expecting. We may not be as big as Duke or UNC but I see us being significantly faster.

tractor57
    Participant

Chop – I agree it was the micromanaging. The system was ok for the talent level he tried to recruit. But that system has been pretty much legislated out with the ever greater need for more scoring. His teams actually played some defense and yes they always needed a alpha (more than most). KK seems to be a good choice but until I actually see the product I’m reserving judgment. Not that I expect KK to fail just that I want some evidence.

ryebread
    Participant

I’d agree that HWSNBN was rigid (almost mentioned this), incredibly poor at adapting in game, and didn’t have good leadership ability under fire (the “my tie is choking me” move surely inspired confidence). All those things clearly held him back.

I’d also agree that HWSNBN was best with Hodge. In my memory it was because when things broke down, Hodge would take the team on his back and will his way to the basket for a bucket. Of course when Hodge was off (Seton Hall anyone?), it would create something incredibly ugly. The system would break, Hodge would go lone wolf (poorly) and we’d get blasted. But, I did love Jules and his on the court leadership made up for quite a number of HWSNBN’s limitations.

My comments were more aimed at recruiting strategy. HWSNBN had a pretty solid one. It just was to recruit to a highly flawed system.

I’m not ready to give KK a lifetime contract. He may not even work out. I just see an actual plan in place, and one that actually can work. It’s been nearly 30 years since I could say that and I’m pretty thankful.

tractor57
    Participant

I agree HWSHBN was decent are recruiting the type of players that fit his system. The problem were the other factors yoy mentioned. KK might be the greatest thing since sliced bread but at this point we don’t know. Beginning signs are positive but I’m not ready to give him the key to the city just yet. What I am willing is to support him as he moves in.

ryebread
    Participant

tractor57: We’re probably closer aligned than it appears. I’m cautiously optimistic after seeing some good early returns. These are but the first steps in the journey and there will bumps along the way. Everyone is enthusiastic until that first loss sets in and then another hit comes after the first blowout loss.

Right now we’re 0-0. I’m filled with hope. I’m going with that for now.

freshmanin83
    Participant

My sincerest apologies Saddiq Bey for the misspelling of your name.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.