Bam Is Announcing Tomorrow

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Bam Is Announcing Tomorrow

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Gents…

It could have been worst…
    He could have been “one or two and done” at any other school on Tobacco Road…

And then…

if things don’t work out at Kentucky…
    we might have a “transfer” with skills…
    in two years….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Packzingo
    Participant

Agree Heelh8r…..
    Scrolling across the screen he’s committed to UK.

Packzingo
    Participant

UK and Cal will always have great talent with the system they are selling but they will not have Championship Banners when
    it comes April. If they can’t win with the talent when Wall was at UK or last year, they won’t win. Its hard to have
    that much talent on the floor when the “individual” is trying to sell himself and still play as a team. I’m certainly not a Duke fan, but lets see where the two teams progress / regress come April.

That said, who the hell is BAM ?

tjfoose1
    Participant

Saw it live on ESPN this morning.

Wish he was coming to Raleigh, but objectively speaking, from the perspective of what is best for him and his future, there really was no decision.

Good luck. Hopefully you’ll meet up with your good friend DSJ deep in the NCAA’s.

tjfoose1
    Participant

If they can’t win with the talent when Wall was at UK or last year, they won’t win. Its hard to have that much talent on the floor when the “individual” is trying to sell himself and still play as a team.

Huh?

Did you miss 2012? I’m no Cal or UK fan, but they’re an annual top 5 team when the sophomores on the rosters are their veterans. I’d venture to say they’d win the championship every other year, or at least every 3rd year, if UK could was able to keep every recruit at least 2 years.

And “individual”? Seriously? Do you not watch their games? Do you not look at the stats? The mpg? the ppg?

That said, who the hell is BAM ?

That explains it

tjfoose1
    Participant

Think of it from Bam’s perspective…Coach Cal and his arsenal and demonstrated promotion to the NBA vs. Coach Gott and his scraping into the tourney every year with the occasional NBA draft pick…I’m just glad that Dennis Smith actually signed his LOI before Bam’s announcement.

Exactly. All of that.

I’m thinking the late push and hard sell from Cal convinced him of the same. Actually the smart decision, over the emotional, personal “want to” of going to State and playing with his friend.

Who knows, maybe without that injury, DSJ waits too, to announce with Bam. I wouldn’t like our chance had that happened. That injury may have been Gott’s saving grace.

Rick
    Keymaster

Cal has had 18 players drafted. Hard to beat that.
    It’s also what is wrong with college basketball. No one build any emotional connection to one and done players. He is simply a minor league for the NBA.

tjfoose1
    Participant

He is simply a minor league for the NBA.

Yep. And he sells it hard. That’s pretty much all that’s needed for a majority of the top 10 recruits. Given the system, can’t blame any of them.

Play for Cal one year, put in the effort and time, and you’re set for life. Maybe put in a 2nd year. Worst case, they’re given an early reality check that the NBA will not be their ticket, a la Bubble Guts. And that’s not a bad result either. The sooner it’s realized, the better.

BJD95
    Keymaster

And hey, whatever keeps the Holes and Devils from winning every single f-ing year I guess is fine by me. Sucks to be the ones run over by the train for a change, but such is life.

Texpack
    Participant

When the press asked Gott what he learned while he was doing games for ESPN, he said “The teams with the most talent usually win.” That is why he has bumped bellies with all of the sacred programs on the recruiting trail. Over the long haul it will pay off. Sorry it didn’t in this case.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

^Tex, I remember that as well. I think that’s the lazy man’s answer. It’s no different than a business. Sure you want the top talent. But there’s a limited supply. Unfortunately, it’s also just not that accurate that the top talent usually wins. Usually wins what? How is talent measured these days? Is it measured in NBA players? Number of stars coming out of high school? Wins and losses?

What Gott should’ve learned is that talent, plus really hard work on both ends of the court, along with successful schemes, leads to success barring no injury. Say what you want about Cal and his 1 and done philosophy but nobody’s kids play any harder on both ends of the court or are coached as well. You don’t produce, you don’t play. He doesn’t care how many stars you have beside your name or whether you played in the McD game. His offenses are usually balanced and can score and his defenses are tough and sound. They do the little things really well. And I can guarantee you that a lot of those kids didn’t learn that on the AAU circuit. It ain’t just talent that keeps UK in the rankings. They play with a mission and attack, attack, attack. It’s really quite amazing what he’s been able to do with 18-19 year old kids.

There are only so many of the kids that Cal wants out there. If you don’t get them, you better have a backup plan. You better be able to coach em up, motivate, drill, and out scheme your opponent if you want to be the best. Having a few burger boys helps, but it isn’t salvation.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Well, he did say “the teams” not “the team.” That’s a crucial difference. He’s saying there’s a cutoff point below which you don’t have enough threshold talent to truly compete for titles, and he’s right.

Whiteshoes67
    Participant

BJD956, I don’t disagree with you. But I think that’s stating the obvious. Which is my point. That isn’t really learning anything that anybody who watches a little college ball doesn’t already know. But under that line of thinking, a negative outcome suggests you didn’t have enough talent. When UK stunk a few years ago, it wasn’t because they didn’t have talent. They were deficient in some pieces, yes, but there was loads of talent. Conversely, there are plenty of examples to the contrary where teams of lesser talent (pretty much by any definition you want to use–NBA, stahs, etc) advance further in the tournament. And there are examples of coaches who take said lesser talent and advance further. It’s simply not a game anomaly. My point is, some people are better coaches and better assessors of talent. His remark imo suggests an arrogance and an unwillingess to look critically at what you can do better, and places blame on “talent” when the results aren’t what you want.

Packzingo
    Participant

Did you miss 2012? I’m no Cal or UK fan, but they’re an annual top 5 team when the sophomores on the rosters are their veterans. I’d venture to say they’d win the championship every other year, or at least every 3rd year, if UK could was able to keep every recruit at least 2 yea[/quote

Yea, was probably typing more from emotion than thoughts on that one 🙂
    I certainly understand the kids decision and can’t blame him or others like him with that level of talent. I guess I despise the system because its not a system we can implement…

Texpack
    Participant

Shoes, I think there are some coaches that have a big enough ego that they think their system will make up the difference in talent. It ain’t happening.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

My two immutable facts of recruiting:

– No one knows/understands what goes in the minds of high school kids.
    – Some “can’t miss” kids do.

That’s why I don’t pay much attention to recruiting. I’m happy when State signs highly-rated kids. But I don’t get excited until I see them do something special at State.

LRM
    Keymaster

Va, I’ll add a third fact: must have an all black uniform alternate.

I fully appreciate how much recruiting matters.

But I also remember that Damien Wilkins was the next David Thompson.

gso packbacker
    Participant

– No one knows/understands what goes in the minds of high school kids.

I don’t follow recruiting other than what I read here, but admittedly I was excited at the possibility of landing Bam. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago when I realized that Bam was in school here locally at HP Christian with a couple of my soccer players. So, next day at practice I asked them if they knew him and told them I hoped that he would go to NC State. The two girls looked at me a bit oddly and bluntly stated, “I don’t think he’s going to NC State”.

To VaWolf’s point above, we adults can guess what these kids are thinking, but it is an exercise in futility. Of course, a young lady is probably a better barometer to measure that. Maybe those boys up in Louisville were on to something. 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.