Around the league – early season basketball

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Around the league – early season basketball

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    wufpup76
    Keymaster

(Please forgive the long hyper-links, I don’t believe the ‘link’ tag is working for regular ol’ members for whatever reason)

Taking an early look at some notes from around the league. There are some interesting games coming up this week … Please feel free to add anything you find of interest.

– An interesting score I missed while watching the State game – Miami 69 – (7)Florida 67. Apparently the Canes were down pretty big more than halfway through the 2nd half yet came back: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400587764
    Wasn’t sure what to expect of the Canes this season, but Larranaga is always a tough out and this is certainly a promising result for them.

– BC suffered the first ACC team loss over the weekend to UMass, but Clemson suffered the first ‘bad’ loss of the season last night losing to Winthrop – at home – 77-74. http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400587763
    Not the start Brad Brownell needed this season, but it’s early yet and we don’t know how tough Winthrop will be in the Big South (which has lost Davidson to the A-10, so that league may be wide open).

– I haven’t really kept up with the Syracuse bball/NCAA shenanigans, but there is some more news … YMCA rouges?: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24817391/report-ncaa-questioning-ymcas-former-ties-to-syracuse-and-its-athletes

– Apparently an AP voter had N.C. State ranked #12 in their latest poll, haha: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24817763/poll-attacks-did-the-ap-just-straight-ignore-one-voters-entire-ballot

– Mostly unrelated tangent, but I want to write it:

Also, please remember that any UNx-Cheat victory in any major sport over the last 20+ years or so – including this season – is a Pyrrhic victory. All those victories cost them their ‘Carolina Way’ facade – which is unfortunately much more of a personal identifier for a few cheat fans. It’s probably not easy investing so much of yourself into something and finding out (and still being in denial) that something is fraudulent. (Can’t say I feel bad for them though … they bought and pushed a narrative instead of reality).

Some of the cheats’ ‘secrets’ are out and now everyone – not just State fans – knows that they are frauds and cheats. Every single victory can be laughed off as a product of cheating (spare me the ‘well they still happened! line, “media personalities” – they shouldn’t have happened and everyone knows that now). So, when and if the Holes get their usual preferential treatment (tendencies!) and they’re winning and Vitale, Bowles, and Swofford are wetting themselves – just remember – they cheated. Laugh in their face.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Wufpup — can you email me at [email protected]?

wufpup76
    Keymaster

e-mail sent … Please let me know if you do not receive.

Thanks

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Correction to the OP – (guess I missed the edit time window)

Davidson left the SoCon, not the Big South … apologies – I got my ‘Southern’ conference names mixed up … I know better 🙁

Gowolves
    Participant

Temple came back and beat a good La Tech team. Pack plays La Tech in December and they are real good. Long and athletic. From what little I saw of them last night they remind me of Florida Gulf Coast two years ago.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Ok…

there’s not much going on tonight…
    so I GOTT Sparty and Coach Rat’s boys on the wire…

I GOTT DumbAssDickie turned off…

Anybody know why Suliamon is not starting for the Dookies ?

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Gowolves
    Participant

Because the freshman guards the rat signed are playing. Suliamon and Cook are the casualties of this Kentucky like class.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

.. so last year’s rats are this year’s mice… it seems…

Wufpacker
    Participant

Already tired of the words ‘platoon’ and ‘reinforcements’.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… and last year’s kittens are this year’s Cats…

The more ‘some people’ take advantage of the one and done kids, the faster the rules will change — Machiavelli

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Northeastern 76 @ Florida State 73 – http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20141118_NEAST@FSU

This one will not sting nearly as bad as the Clemson loss at home to Winthrop, but it’s still not preferable in so far as league RPI goes. Northeastern is a solid mid-major and should once again contend for the Colonial crown, plus they could finish with a sub-100 RPI.

These early league home losses may not matter as much since the league has 15 teams and is deep, but it would be preferable for everyone in the league be around sub-150 in the RPI. In other words, every league OOC game counts, and home losses are particularly hurtful for both individual teams and the league as a whole.

Someone has to finish 15th, but once a team starts pushing 200+ in the RPI (like BC last season) it really starts to affect all other teams’ respective RPI. Something to keep an eye on, for sure.

The only exception for me is the Cheats. I’d be fine if they lost every game ever and always had an RPI of 500+.

One other score to note from Tuesday night: Jackson St. 66 – Jacksonville 57. The Pack beat Jackson State soundly in the opening game of the season and face Jacksonville on Thursday evening.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

… anybody else already tired of hearing how ‘great’ Cal and his Cats are this season ??
    … anybody wanta bet a buck that if ProTucky played in the ACC — they’d lose two this season ?

Why not.. Just go ahead and buy ’em some big rings and let the rest of us play for the real Championship on a level playing court…

If we could figure out how to organize this so it costs the almighty NCAA some serious bucks… maybe …

A change is GOTTa come…
    sooner or later….

Fastback68
    Participant

I wonder what kind of stats Amile Jefferson would have had at State. He played 21 minutes and had 6 points against Spartans.

Bill, did u use disappearing ink as well on the 5 college fb dumpster fires thread?

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^hackers from the Hill got my post…

who else would remove a post about Weber State and the NCAA…

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Danny Manning suffers his first loss as Wake’s head coach, losing @ Arkansas 83 – 53:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/recap/NCAAB_20141119_WAKE@ARK

pakfanistan
    Participant

Haha, I love when people qualify the hell out of things.

The win is the 45th straight at home against unranked nonconference opponents for the Razorbacks (2-0)

Three qualifiers to get that impressive sounding 45 number. At home. Unranked. Non-conference.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

^Something to be proud of … maybe … (?)

Since74
    Participant

UNCC beats Penn St. and South Carolina on consecutive nights. Charlotte plays Miami on Sunday for Charleston Classic championship then have them again in Charlotte on Tuesday. Gotta post it now that my kid’s a Niner. Can almost smell the Cornbread.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.