Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 220 total)
  • Author
    tractor57
    Participant

I’m glad Archie got the chance at a job he probably wished for even before playing for the ‘Pack. That said I’m keeping an open mind on Keatts – so far I see good but that was a lower level (just like Archie).

Rick
    Keymaster

Like Rick says, if you became a Top 25 by talent alone, then Sid and Gott would have done it with ease. Recruiting has never, ever been a problem here…which is again, why I scratch my head at DY/WM being dazzled by a recruiter-type instead of a proven tactician/motivator.

When Keatts was at Hargrove he practically had a new team every year from what I read. I get it that we are talking Hargrove but to motivate new players every year and have a winning percentage of 90% plus then somehow he is getting these kids to buy in.

I am not sure I buy this but we shall see.

My point I was trying to make is that Keatts isn’t just a recruiting magician as it was stated above. He was able to get 6 to 8 guys EVERY year to learn the system and play the way he wanted them to play. Win at a high level. Again every year it was a different squad. You and others make valid point that past success doesn’t guarantee future success. All I am saying is Keatts has a lot going for him. This is not a bad hire in my opinion.

Fair point. I think we all want him to succeed and he is by far the best hire we have had in the past three searches and arguably in the past four.

Greywolf
    Participant

Grey: I’m all for supporting Keatts, but there is no need to slight Archie. He had a great run at Dayton and did about everything that one could reasonably expect. His teams improved every year.

I don’t think I slighted Miller at all. Here’s what I said, “Miller maintained Dayton at a reasonably high level but nothing spectacular.”
    2003–04 Brian Gregory 24–9 12–4 NCAA 1st Round
    2004–05 Brian Gregory 18–11 10–6
    2005–06 Brian Gregory 14–17 6–10
    2006–07 Brian Gregory 19–12 8–8
    2007–08 Brian Gregory 23–11 8–8 NIT Quarterfinals
    2008–09 Brian Gregory 27–8 11–5 NCAA 2nd Round
    2009–10 Brian Gregory 25–12 8–8 NIT Champions
    2010–11 Brian Gregory 22–14 7–9 NIT 1st Round

2011–12 Archie Miller 20–13 9–7 NIT 1st Round
    2012–13 Archie Miller 17–13 7–9
    2013–14 Archie Miller 26–11 10–6 NCAA Elite Eight
    2014–15 Archie Miller 27–9 13–5 NCAA 3rd Round
    2015–16 Archie Miller 25–8 14–4 NCAA 1st Round
    2016–17 Archie Miller 24–8 15–3 NCAA

His teams improved every year. He took one to the Elite 8 …

…and then the 3rd round, then the 1st round. That’s not “improving every year.” That’s called succeeding a little less.

He inherited a shaky program from Gregory.

Just looking at the records it’s a stretch to say Archie inherited a shaky program. Purnell inherited a shaky program but not Miller. It’s one matter for a team to have a down year or two but to call Brian Gregory’s program a Dayton “shaky” is a bit much IMO.

I get that all of that doesn’t guarantee success here or at IU. I think he’s a good coach

I think Miller is a “good” coach also. I just don’t think he’s done enough to be called “great”. Of course I come from an era where every boy didn’t get a trophy for participating and a “great” coach had to do something to be called “great.”

I don’t think Keatts has a better “guarantee” to be successful than Miller, but I can see where Keatts has shown more aptitude for raising a program that’s mired in mediocrity than Miller. I would have been happy with either one. IOW I like the one we got.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Interesting that Brian Gregory – a Tom Izo pupil – was hired as the “Salvation” for GT. They FIRED Paul Hewitt (after a Yow like BIG $$ Extension). I THINK that the 16/17 season is the LAST one they paid to Hewitt…..so they had 3 coaches “getting paid” this year.

I assume, based on the BB IQ level here, that folks also know that Brian Gregory was FIRED from GT for “Lack of Competitive Wins”. SO, when Postner took over from Memphis, it was really BIG BUCK CITY for GT.

Postner looks like a real winner. He is also somewhat modest. He equated his early age HC job at Memphis as to “Being the last man standing in the right position”. He obviously has done a good job at GT.

Miller will have MORE pressure (and BRIGHT LIGHTS) on him at IU and he will have to break the Gregory Jinx….NCSU would have a MUCH safer gig…but not as big of a Brass Ring, assuming he plucks it.

Gregory has gone BACK to an HC Job at South Florida. You could hear the CHEERS from GT all the way to Raleigh (from my Palatial Screened Porch as BotB describes it).

Last night at Choir, our director was VERY disappointed as she had polled the “staff” and developed a “search committee” and selected 17 members of the congregation to join us and increase our ranks (and esteem). NOT ONE SHOWED UP or RSVP’ed or SAID “Thanks, but NO thanks…” They just IGNORED her personal letter.

I punched a fellow NCSU Grad and slipped him a note…to the effect…”Debbie Yow could relate to this as Archie ignored all the flowers and candy and failed to SHOW UP at the Presser”. Real life scenario of what I think went down.

Happy with Keatts. He will have to prove his worth. We will be hanging him in effigy at least ONCE….maybe multiple times.

Signed up for the Wake Coaches Caravan on 4/27 at Reynolds. If you have NOT seen Reynolds and can make the trip….DO IT. It is always a good event. $20 for WPC with a 2 DRINK Adult coupon or $25 for Non WPC members. Children are $10. The coaches are ALWAYS approachable and will chat with you. Some players from most of the teams will be there. There is usually some kid’s activities….

You can meet him, take Selfie, Tell him HOW to Coach, publicly ridicule him or wear a “We REALLY wanted Archie” T shirt….dress code is very lax….

He WILL be the star but we have some OTHER Non-Revenue coaches that will also speak. DD does get some pointed questions….so come prepared to skewer him also.

https://wolfpackclub.inviteright.com/event/response/E35104BA/QyU5MmklMEFaJUZBJTkwJTJDUCVBRCVDMSUyQiVGQnMlNUIlOTIyJTgzJTFBJTNGJTBFWiU3QiU5MCU3RXMlOUElMjclN0QlRkElMUYlMUI=/0

GO PACK…

ryebread
    Participant

My response seemingly got lost in the forum’s purgatory. Maybe one of the mods can free it. 🙂

If not, I’ll summarize:
    – Archie did very well at a mid-major given what a mid-major offers. We’ll see his ceiling at IU.
    – Gregory inherited a well oiled machine from Purnell, had one good year and then it went downwards.
    – Judging a mid-major coach for hiring should be done based on regular season performance and not whether they got a good match up or hot shooting and won 1-2 games in the tournament. John Groce is a poster child for this.
    – I like Keatts and hope he does well.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Look, even though I’m NOT giving Keatts much of a chance (which I freely admit), I certainly DO hope to be proven wrong. But I do think this is another case of bad process leading to bad result.

Heard one of the reasons DY did not like Wade so much, and it definitely falls into the category of the unsavory aspects of her persona/leadership style. No, I will NOT repeat it, because I am not personally confident in the sourcing…but it makes logical sense. And it likely just reinforced what she preferred to do anyway – path of least resistance.

You can find this elsewhere on the wolven interwebs if so inclined.

What I will ask is that people consider my track record. I had a similar, very public freakout when we hired Mark Gottfried. I let myself be talked off the ledge there, but my first instinct was right. I was the first guy off the Amato bandwagon, and I told you so on the SFN front page, and signed my name to it (when it was not popular to do so, and gave you details, but not all of them).

Anybody with a pulse and eyeballs could see the Lowe thing, I shall claim no credit for that. And I was wholly in favour of the TOB experiment, so you can hold that against me. Hey, we developed two awesome QBs that we can watch on Sunday in RW and The Giraffe! Viva the Dreaded Giraffe Sprint!!

rthomas44
    Participant

BJ,… Expect the worst, hope for the best. OK, I get it. Calling the new coach out as a bad pick is easy but not actual prophecy.

Texpack
    Participant

Postner —– Hargrove —— Bad

Pastner —– Hargrave —— Good

Go Pack!

Texpack
    Participant

Look, even though I’m NOT giving Keatts much of a chance (which I freely admit),

What I will ask is that people consider my track record.

I predicted 37-3 for this past season so you can consider my track record as well.

BJD – You also said “Please God no” or words to that effect about hiring Larranaga and I think we all would take the results he has had at the U and agree that he could/would have done even better in Raleigh.

I hope you are wrong about Keatts as well. I only saw part of the second half of UN-Sea vs. UVa so I understand why people are concerned about Keatts. Not an unreasonable position to take at all. Asking that people wait three years to discuss it again, now that’s unreasonable.

Fastback68
    Participant

I read just about every thread on the various State websites and it sounds like Keatts was the only candidate where Yow had a face to face interview. Is that an accurate assessment or not?

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yep, accurate.

JeremyH
    Participant

What’s the number #1 job of the Athletic Director?

Hire the biggest star basketball coach, and get the he!! out of the way. Hearing these stories about Sweaty Gary, Marshall rubbing the wrong way, and now having something against Wade..well that really chaps my hide.

pakfanistan
    Participant

….and now having something against Wade…

What if what she had agains Wade is he sucks?

ryebread
    Participant

BjD: I hear you on Gott and Lowe. I was in meltdown mode on both. I hated the TOB hire as well (was a PJ guy). This time I think it might actually work.

I’m with Packi regarding Wade. He may be wildly successful at LSU, and they have the ingredients where a guy like him may do well (local talent base, big budgets, no pressure, a less heirarchical league and a willingness to put up with some “less polished” personalities). He was the one that scared the Bejesus out of me as he looked like a cross between HWSNBN and DD. With the rumored agent connections and the fact that he fit the Yow hiring profile to a T, I had this feeling of utter dread it was him.

Rick
    Keymaster

I read just about every thread on the various State websites and it sounds like Keatts was the only candidate where Yow had a face to face interview. Is that an accurate assessment or not?

Keatts checked the three boxes for the easy hire.
    1) Murphy like him
    2) he was cheap
    3) he would say yes

She locked onto him and did nothing else.

rthomas44
    Participant

All of this hand wringing is for naught. The deal is done. Time to move on and expect to see new energy and wins!

pakfanistan
    Participant

1) Murphy like him
    2) he was cheap
    3) he would say yes

I keep thinking about this and laughing. We should have hired an expensive coach who said no, and that our biggest athletic donor doesn’t like.

Rick
    Keymaster

1) Murphy like him
    2) he was cheap
    3) he would say yes

I keep thinking about this and laughing. We should have hired an expensive coach who said no, and that our biggest athletic donor doesn’t like.

I can see how YOU would come to that conclusion.

ryebread
    Participant

Rick: I don’t buy it. There’d have been no need to hire a search firm if that were the case. We beat the bushes and Keatts was the best candidate who would also say yes.

I’m increasingly okay with it and think that many will be pleasantly surprised. Keatts seems to connect with players, which is incredibly important for getting them to buy in.

Adventuroo
    Participant

My “adopted” teams ain’t doing well. 2 gone…1 in trouble.

TV Teddie Valentine giving Oregon the business.

So folks that rarely attend games and don’t want to support the AD or the WPC are upset that we would dare raise ticket prices for an Archie or Gregg. And are miffed that Yow did not court same, even though they made it clear they weren’t buying what we were selling. To beat it all, same wanted Mr. Murphy to foot all or major portion if we did hire one of the high maintenance, trophy coaches.

Did I miss something?

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 220 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.