Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 220 total)
  • Author
    BJD95
    Keymaster

Popping in from exile solely to comment on this. Very happy that Arch gets recognized as the top coach on the market this cycle, and all the national writers I’ve seen have agreed this is a home run hire.

Let this lay to rest some of the worst slanders of Arch, especially that he’s “scared” – Bloomington is a place where your feet will be held to the fire. They see across the state line what glories UK recaptured when John Calipari (hey, the OTHER one that got away) came to town, and they expect at least that.

Arch ain’t scared. He believes in himself, that he will win titles. You have to get past the Blues to do that, no matter where you are.

Arch ain’t disloyal. If you polled 100 coaches, 100 would take the Indiana job over NC State. 99 wouldn’t even consider NC State a plausible alternative. The 1 who would is/was Arch Miller, but we had no proactive strategy to sell him on the job, nor address the concerns he (somewhat speculatively may have) had about the athletic department.

I wish him all the best. After all, he can become a major thorn in the side of programs we hate now. And he’s a good man.

Really truly, I have enjoyed writing here, but what NC State has allowed itself to become is just unbearable to me, and I don’t have it in me anymore. Take care, imaginary internet friends.

Wulfpack
    Participant

The bashing of Archie has indeed been silly, and spiteful. I don’t really care what the national media has to say. But, IU showed you. IU isn’t offering to a bad coach. I also listen to what other coaches have to say, and Mike Brey, calls it a home run for both as well. So there you have it. If Archie fails, he’s got upwards of $28 million to go think it over. Oh, and he’s 37-38 years old?? He’s going to be around for a long freaking time.

BJD95
    Keymaster

^ It’s projection. We want to deflect any possible criticisms, failures, and/or self-reflection on NC State, and pin it all on “the other” instead. Feels good, right? It’s like eating junk food and being told it will make you lose weight.

If/when one stops to think about it, one sees that it’s the road to madness. But the powers that be rely on you NOT thinking, because it will HURT. Just keep riding the “feel good” wave.

freshmanin83
    Participant

You will be missed BJD95, I hope you return to writing soon.

pakfanistan
    Participant

There had been talk he’d go to his alma mater, North Carolina State, after Mark Gottfried was fired a month ago.

“Yeah, everyone thought N.C. State, but I knew that wasn’t gonna happen,” John said. “He knows that place too well. You gotta have trust in the people above you that they’ll stand by you.”

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/tom-archdeacon-behind-the-scenes-archie-miller-road-indiana/FVTuIsT8BNtcjAK7imjpUM/

marinewolf
    Participant

Dan Dakich is not exactly the voice of reason, Sat morn when he was ask about IU and Archie he was ho hum about, lets face it he speaks out of both ends, knows everything but no knowledge on anything!!

Hamlet
    Participant

Thanks for posting that, Packfanistan. BJD and others can be upset at State’s past failures and our complete lack of competence from the end of Valvano through the Lee Fowler reign of terror, but Yow is not to blame for this mess. The Miller’s CLEARLY have a negative opinion of NC State and have no desire whatsoever to coach here. We could have offered Archie $5 million per season and I am not sure he would have accepted. He, his brother, and his father and their close coaching friends – namely John Calipari – think our job and school are dung. Get over it…hope we begin to take strides with DD and KK…and change the general perception and put this school in a better national position to attract better candidates in the future.

BJD95
    Keymaster

^^^ Them’s the concerns he had re the athletic department. Too bad we didn’t address them proactively. Seems like some people said that would be an issue and should be addressed immediately after the 2015-16 season.

BJD95
    Keymaster

At some level, I view it as NC State functionally choosing Debbie Yow over Arch Miller*. Pure insanity. It was all very foreseeable.

* It’s still possible that Indiana opening up would have screwed us over even if we had made a change in the athletic department with a strategic eye towards wooing him (or another top mid-major coach) in mind.

BUT…we would have gone to Plan B instead of C.

pakfanistan
    Participant

“He knows that place too well.” Changing ADs wasn’t going to change the place.

And how is Keatts plan C? Who would have been plan B?

marinewolf
    Participant

negative vibes from Archie and we proceeded on-could have been Crean, Holtman, Wade, but I think Keatts had that something that stood out,Marshall had a price tag we were not ready to pay, glad it wasn’t Wade-extremely satisfied with who we got

MrPlywood
    Participant

Has any coach ever said “It’s unfortunate that someone else had to lose his job so I could get his job.”? There are plenty accounts of Crean being treated poorly before he got fired, but I guess since it’s not personal to Archie that can be overlooked. Tough job.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Most ADs wouldn’t interview a low-major coach who JUST HAPPENS to be a major donor’s buddy and stop there. Ours did. Take from that what you will. YMMV.

marinewolf
    Participant

I will choose to be positive until I see something to be negative about, it is what it is and I will support the new coach, forget about Archie and the others, Sean Miller was an unknown when we hired Sid and would have come here, same as Archie last time-we didn’t want to take a chance-hopefully Keatts will be that man this time around

BJD95
    Keymaster

Hopefully. But flawed process usually means flawed result (as it did with MG), and I just can’t abide by it. Tuning out is my only option for self-preservation. Maybe in a few years the clouds will lift, but ain’t counting on it.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

Hamlet

The Miller’s CLEARLY have a negative opinion of NC State and have no desire whatsoever to coach here.

I keep seeing this written as fact. We really have no idea if the Miller’s and other coaching circles view NCSU and Pack gig unfavorably. Much more likely that if State wants to play ball and hire within some coaching circles you have be financially ready to be there. The fact that Miller took a 3.5-4 gig at a prestigious BB school make it confounded with understanding what he thinks of NCSU (unless of of course Yow actuualy offered >3.2 annually and he turned it down). I’d wager Marshall makes his jump when he does for a contract that starts at < 4.3 annually.

NCSU is major D1 institution, and a BB first school in a P5 conference I am a little surprised that it cannot come up w/ the $s to run with the big boys.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I keep seeing this written as fact. We really have no idea if the Miller’s and other coaching circles view NCSU and Pack gig unfavorably.

Please see the John Miller quote above.

Wulfpack
    Participant

There was no Plan B. That’s kind of the point. Whether that’s on the AD, or just the negative perception of the job in general, it doesn’t matter. Clearly, our $90k spent for the search firm turned up no one better than Keatts. Or, Yow panicked and took what she could get before it turned into yet another circus. Either way, it’s on her. It’s her “big” hire after Gott failed. And she will be judged by it, good or bad.

I will say – how sad is it when you have no shot at an alum who is destined for great things? Very depressing.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

The problem is EVEN If Kevin Keatts does turn out to be a hall of fame coach we’ll be a stepping stone for him. If he manages to get us to an elite 8 he’s out of here. You get what you pay for and it is abundantly clear we’re unwilling/unable to dish out the cash. I personally don’t think this will ever be an issue, but if it comes to that you guys mark this post down.

I had the false hope that Archie really wanted to be here. He was our best shot at possibly obtaining a HOF caliber coach AND keeping him around for a long time (again, based on the assumption that this was where he REALLY wanted to be).

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

“Yeah, everyone thought N.C. State, but I knew that wasn’t gonna happen,” John said. “He knows that place too well. You gotta have trust in the people above you that they’ll stand by you.”

Again, Miller family can SUCK it. That’s completely unnecessary and tacky thing to put out there.

Rick
    Keymaster

I keep seeing this written as fact. We really have no idea if the Miller’s and other coaching circles view NCSU and Pack gig unfavorably.

Please see the John Miller quote above.

I read that quote as a reference to Yow but it is certaintly open to interpretation

BJD95
    Keymaster

I think it IS a reference to Yow, and I would be careful in thinking Papa Miller speaks for Arch. He took the Dayton job without telling him, and he very well could have been conducting his business this time around without him being very much in the loop.

What you VERY EASILY COULD HAVE is just an irritated father throwing shade back after a whispering campaign about Arch being “scared” once we made our panic hire. That would piss most folks off. And it’s really pretty narrowly focused – like Rick, I take it to mean Yow/the athletics department.

I think Arch LIKELY had some concerns about the athletics department, but very well might have still taken our job had IU not come open. But we will never know.

No need to keep beating this into the ground. I just wanted to congratulate a good man/alumnus, and wish him well on the national stage. At least his side wears red, has a history of f-cking over the Holes (1984 Sweet 16), and fits better as the new Shadow Pack than Coach Cal’s bunch did. 😀

Leslie Knope and Ron Swanson would both be stoked!!

pakfanistan
    Participant

No need to keep beating this into the ground. I just wanted to congratulate a good man/alumnus, and wish him well on the national stage. At least his side wears red, has a history of f-cking over the Holes (1984 Sweet 16), and fits better as the new Shadow Pack than Coach Cal’s bunch did. ?

I’m not adopting those turds. You can if you want to.

TheCOWDOG

I don’t see it as a reference to Yow at all. In fact, the statement seems quite Sendekian in nature.

BJD95
    Keymaster

I mean, he can’t be thinking the fans will be gentler at IU than State. Half the fans there have turned on Arch ALREADY. They cray-cray. But Arch is supremely confident, and doesn’t worry about shit like that.

To the extent Sendek (we can use his name again, now that we’ve slipped a rung, the prohibition seems silly) is in Papa Miller’s ear, I have no idea. But Arch is his own man.

We just have to respect his choice. Damned shame IU couldn’t manage a lousy NCAAT season and maybe we close the deal. Given our recent history, dunno why I’d be optimistic, but I was…

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 220 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.