Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Home Forums StateFans Basketball Archie gets 7 year deal to coach at Indiana

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 220 total)
  • Author
    ryebread
    Participant

I was feeling pretty good about Archie until IU came open. And here we are.

The fact that he took it means he really didn’t want to be here but he didn’t love Dayton that much either. It stings.

Oh well, we move forward with the guy that did want to be here. That’s worth something. With each turn of the carousel, I’m more happy with our position and decision to get out and onto the market early.

tractor57
    Participant

Rye my thinking exactly. Keatts might be the next Valvano or he might be the next flameout but no doubt he wanted to be here.

cardiacpackattack22
    Participant

^completely agree

JeremyH
    Participant

Guess we’re going to find out how hard a job Indiana really is. Was Crean that bad or it’s just difficult to recruit there. Happy day for Arch.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

Miller to IU
    Alford stays at UCLA
    Marshall the best coach of the three still likely looking for the right spot, will very interesting to see the when, where and how much for him. Certainly does not look like it will be this year for the when.

OutWestWolf
    Participant

ESPN list Miller’s IU salary at 3.5/yr.

PackofMac
    Participant

Who cares?

McCallum

From another Mc……Not me brother.

if I may…..

McAdams

Adventuroo
    Participant

Observations (not necessarily correct or agreed upon, but how I see and interpret)

Archie was always slated (per here and other sources) to be a $3.5 – $4 Million Man. That is the bogey that we would have, presumbably, to meet. NOW, the Indiana Job (lets be realistic…the Mirror on the wall would not lie to us) is a better and more prestigious gig. Fans DO have their expectations, so it will be more of a “cooker” as to turn around.

Archie will be able to recruit in his own “patch” rather than start anew in the NC area.

Archie HAD to know that he was NOT the Golden Boy. BUT, he appears to have bided his time and waited for the all the cards to be dealt….then he played the hand.

Whether the “Sean said I could NOT coach in the ACC” rumor is fact or fiction….unless someone bugged the phones, we (or I) will never know.

He made the call…I do NOT think that anything that AD Yow could have done (short of kidnap family or threaten to poison John) would have made any difference. THAT is why Keatts was acted on…. Debbie LEARNED….you do NOT wait until all the dancing is over to pick-up a jilted partner. You MIGHT not get who you want.

Whatever motivated Alford to “stay in the race”….and I believe that Dakich had MUCH better insight into this than me (or we)….we might never know. Sort of like ORW NOT coming to UNC and then, LATER ON, coming home. Alford’s son, I think, is a Senior (remembered the ceremony)….so this WOULD have been a perfect time to move on….He will be under less pressure at UCLA than at Indiana….Obviously, the expectations for Alford WOULD be higher than for Miller.

Miller has a PLUMB job. He will have to show that he is => than Sean to be successful. Indiana will be expecting miracles MUCH FASTER than we would have. BUT, I’m willing to bet that he had a LOT of time to muddle this over….

Marshall….WHO KNOWS? He MAY end up leaving, but his wife’s little outburst has GOT to have dampened some enthusiasm. All we need is for her and Googs and Corch to team up and belittle TV Teddie and Jamie Luckie and all the KH Disciples…. It would have been a NIGHTMARE. She needs a year of anger management.

Gonna be interesting. Personally am HAPPY as to how this played out. Archie’s “Heart” was NOT at his alma mater….so we just need to get over it….remain friends and get on with our life.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Post Script as can not edit a “closed” post.

SB Nation is reporting $4 M for the younger Mr. Miller. Overall, the percentage increase that AD Yow gave Coach Keatts is in line with what Archie is getting….maybe a smidge more….but for all practical purposes the same. JUST MORE BUCKS…..

In addition, IU has raised the bar significantly on Initial Contract Length. We were aghast at 6 years as 5 was the norm. Archie has 7. Let that sink in. if IU does NOT work out, then GT’s reputation as the most idiotic school for coach’s contracts will pale in comparison to Indiana.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

All of that collectively establishes a pecking order. State is not able to compete with IU on many of the items I listed. Case closed.

Case opened back up. Archie is an NC State alum. We decided better to take a big gamble than a little gamble and didn’t pay the man. It’s not hard to connect the dots, judge.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Don’t understand the negativity ….

I’ll try to explain it… it’s because we are cheap.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Oh well, we move forward with the guy that did want to be here.

There’s no other CAA coaches that don’t won’t to be here. That’s an important thing to keep in mind as we begin our KK journey.

tractor57
    Participant

Either a win or a fail. It is his to make sure.

pakfanistan
    Participant

There’s no other CAA coaches that don’t won’t to be here. That’s an important thing to keep in mind as we begin our KK journey.

Except the one that hired dominated the others we didn’t.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Alford’s loyalty is to Coach Knight not IU….
    end of conversation…

POP!!!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

BotB,

Interesting observation. Since IU ADMIN did unto him with the WPN did unto Herbie….

Are you of the opinion that IU will never have a shot at Alford due to the Knight departure? IF SO, then I don’t understand why Dakich, with obviously IU connections, THOUGHT that IU had already (via his agent and the AD) “locked up” Stevie “wonder boy” Alford? So, was Alford just toying with IU and threw out some outrageous (Coach K – MIKEY – $$)? I STILL am having difficulty in piecing together the HE IS IN versus reality….after he quit dancing.

Help me out here….otherwise, I will think that gerontophobia is approaching…

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Except the one that hired dominated the others we didn’t.

We’ve got different standards for the word “dominate”, although I’m genuinely glad you’re so chipper. This is a fine example of “Ignorance is bliss”.

Tau837
    Participant

All of that collectively establishes a pecking order. State is not able to compete with IU on many of the items I listed. Case closed.

Case opened back up. Archie is an NC State alum. We decided better to take a big gamble than a little gamble and didn’t pay the man. It’s not hard to connect the dots, judge.

You are assuming facts not in evidence. I’m fine agreeing to disagree on this.

pakfanistan
    Participant

We’ve got different standards for the word “dominate”, although I’m genuinely glad you’re so chipper. This is a fine example of “Ignorance is bliss”.

Finishing first or tied for first all three years, winning the conference tournament championship 2/3.

The three years prior to K2-T2 UNCW finished 5-13, 5-13, 3-15. The three years he coached they finished 12-6, 14-4, 15-3.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

AD Yow looking better and better every day….

Why? Because this BB coaching search wasn’t as grossly incompetent as her last?

pakfanistan
    Participant

AD Yow looking better and better every day….

Why? Because this BB coaching search wasn’t as grossly incompetent as her last?

Because Reynold’s looks great?

Because our non-revenue sports are doing great?

Because we’re currently 13th in the Director’s Cup?

Because football earned a preseason top 25 ranking and has opened as a touchdown favorite over SC?

Because Women’s BBall just advanced past the first round of the NCAA tournament for the first time in 10 years?

Because we hired a highly sought after bball coach with zero drama?

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

If you’re happy with success in only the non-revenue sports, then great.
    If you’re happy with fund raising and capital improvements, then great.
    If you’re happy with preseason projections rather than actual accomplishments, then great. (Though after this current dumpster-fire BB season, I don’t understand why any State fan would attach any value to preseason projections.)

I didn’t say she should be fired. But the only thing that she has done for the revenue sports is to remove coaches that weren’t performing. That’s good, but not enough. Thus I don’t understand the claim that “she’s looking better and better”.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Ultimately, Yow will be judged on the Doeren/Keatts hires. The verdict on Gott is already in – and it isn’t good.

And I still remain perplexed how so many Pack fans seem to gloss over the grossly negligent Gott contract extension. Didn’t make sense then and certainly not now.

I say good for Archie. Now he has to earn his keep on a much larger stage and only time will tell if he is ready for the real spotlight. I think he’ll do fine but he better get at least a couple of S-16’s in the first 5 years or the Crimson and Cream
    will blister him. IU fans have very high expectations and very little patience, especially after the past couple of coaches. And it’s not only the Big Ten programs but the constant comparisons to Kentucky’s program makes things really tough. Better job than our’s? Probably. Easier job than ours? Probably not.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Are you of the opinion that IU will never have a shot at Alford due to the Knight departure?

When you see Coach Knight standing or sitting in a chair surrounded by his former players during halftime at Assembly Hall, you’ll see Alford too…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 220 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.