Anybody NOT done with DD?

Home Forums StateFans Football Anybody NOT done with DD?

Tagged: 

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 181 total)
  • Author
    Wolfanatic
    Participant

joec..I saved two copies of that edition from that glorious day.. indeed it is serious memorabilia….the black and white pictures on pages 6 and 7 are a thing of beauty…looking at them just takes me back to those days, and those memories are a prized possession.

IrishPackFan
    Participant

Is it just me, or is the discussion involving DT memories so much better than the demise of DD at State?

My DT degree of separation involves getting a game-day-worn DT jersey that he ended up signing. It is safely vacuum sealed in my safe and awaiting an eventual day of being framed. I tried it on once, and it felt like wearing a dress. The thing is huuuge at size 52 XXL!

YogiNC
    Participant

Per title: My answer, with 10 games still on the board is, hell no, I haven’t quit. Why would I, post September 10th?

Thank you CD. I’ve tried to let the dust settle a bit before posting. I knew very little about the new hire for HC at ecu but as soon as the pundits started talking about his pedigree I knew we were in a dog fight. Say what you want but he was the receivers coach for some of the best in the game, the BIG time, the Pittsburgh BY God Steelers. In case you haven’t noticed he coached some of the very best in THE NFL. Watching the ecu receivers run their routes said it all. And yet slowly as the D began to cover better (remember this is only the second game of the year) they began to shift the tide. My guess is ecu is going to be a lot better than everyone expects, and they have offensive weapons and offensive coaches who have been in very successful environments. Give credit where credit is due, they were better than State in terms of personnel and coaches, and yet they just did win.

Were mistakes made? Yep, but last time I checked this is a game played by younguns’. Mere boys a couple of years back. And say what you want but DD did not lose that game, the team lost that game, collectively. Even the refs had a hand in it’s outcome. My first thought as the game ended would be SFN posters with their hair on fire. Wanna read some hair on fire comments? Check out the monkey boards for Clemson. The tiggers fell 3 spots in the national poll and you’d think the world had ended, AND THEY WON. Georgia fell 7 spots and they won. TCU and Oklahoma State lost and they paid. OK ST paid much worse, they lost to the refs, but they should have not put themselves in position to lose.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m 62, played on a state championship football team, and lived high school football in a football be all end all town. I’ve had my hair on fire more than once (state teams included). But at the end of the day the question I find myself asking is “does the result change anything that matters in my life?” Saturday afternoon I had a glass of wine, cooked myself a prime grade rib eye from costco (they have REALLY great steaks), and thought to myself “I’m still alive (a good thing at 62), I’m relatively healthy, that steak smells terrific, nothing anyone else does can extend my life one minute, and I’m not going to let anything anyone else does that does not directly affect my well being take away my joy of life”. To put myself in a tizzy over teenagers (and some older teenagers) not living up to expectations is not something I’m willing to do anymore. I’ll be a fan, I’ll pull for them, I’ll scream loud at the refs if they screw up, but when the horn sounds that game is over. If they win and are successful I’ll be happy for them, and I’ll support them win OR lose, but I won’t tie my happiness or joy in life to them. I’ve come to the conclusion the life I have left is just too short to do that. Of course YMMV.

Smarter than the average bear

Greywolf
    Participant

So I guess the next big question is who is going to replace Huxtable to “right the ship” for the crappy defense while DD is on the hot seat? If he gets another season…

This is rich.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

So here we are after a 54-13 loss to the Ville in year #4. We clearly did not build or sustain the good play of the Clemson loss, the best game we’ve EVER had by a mile under Dave. Dave ASKED the team if THEY wanted to watch the Clemson game film. They told him no. I’ll never understand it. We get pounded and move to 7 and 20 in the ACC under the regime. It’s year #4.

Is anyone actually enjoying this crap? Where are we going?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Where art thou, ole wise greywolf? You’re silence is deafening….

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^…perhaps wrestling with the idea of cashing in some CDs to buyout DD… idk…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Greywolf
    Participant

Where art thou, ole wise greywolf? You’re silence is deafening….

Just thought I would bring up the question “Anybody NOT done with DD?”

I saw that Mr. DOG, myself and Yogi, I believe, had not given up on DD. Many took the opportunity to express similar thoughts about firing DY.

Anyone change their mind about either?

gso packbacker
    Participant

If I recall correctly, as I walked out of C-F in late October after watching the loss to BC , I was “done”.

In retrospect, this was after the heartbreaker at Death Valley followed up by the shellacking at Louisville. While I anticipated us playing Clemson well and then getting handily beat by U of L, even a reasonable State fan can be worn down so much after watching the ECU loss in person and then following it up with all that.

By the end of the season, we had shown more of the same (plenty of good, but just enough bad sprinkled in). After the UNC game, I was fine with whatever was decided about keeping DD, but was a little surprised when we did.

Coaching aside, I am VERY curious to see how things pan out next year. Lots of folks seem to think we will experience a sizable drop off with the graduation of so many starters on Defense. I am hopeful our offense can take another step forward and the defense can find a way to keep us out of a shootout every game.

13OT
    Participant

In answer to “Anybody NOT done with DD?”, the answer is Debbie Yow. As long as DD can win the home OOC games, beat BC, Syracuse and Wake Forest, plus one more somewhere, he’s 6-6 and still HC. And that bowl in Shreveport, El Paso, Detroit or Slingsh-t, Idaho will keep him our HC, win or lose it.

And if you think DD will be here for awhile, KK will be here even longer. Look what that first year did for Sidney Lowe- he got 4 more, and if KK can just break even in the ACC from now on, he’ll be hailed as the next Everett Case.

AD Yow never met a HC hire that she couldn’t, in her mind, convert to a successful HC, by current State standards, anyway.

She ain’t goin’ nowhere. Look, the money is good, as evidenced by the recent 95K bonus to the UNC President, with 40K of it being counted into her retirement earnings. I don’t know what she makes, but if the UNC President can make 775K with less than 2 years’ experience, I imagine Yow has enough incentive to stay here as long as she wants. The longer the better.

tractor57
    Participant

Must be off season …

Wulfpack
    Participant

Yep, must be.

Greywolf
    Participant

As long as DD can win the home OOC games, beat BC, Syracuse and Wake Forest, plus one more somewhere, he’s 6-6 and still HC.

Still a real big DD fan I see. 😉 You might want to do a fact check and update the stats you cite.

That “one more somewhere” Has included ND and 3 of the past 4 years, the holes. DD also knocked off FSU and L’ville in 2017 plus some SEC school in the Sun Bowl, a bowl that’s been around longer than most on this board have been alive.

Except for his first year DD’s regular season record has been better than 6-6 every year. The current complaint is he’s not been better than 7-5 per year until he was 8-4 this past season.

Must be off season …

Yeah, You can tell that by the high number of people posting… LOL

JaxPackMan
    Participant

Greywolf, what is your point? Are you just stirring the point to see who will bite? We get that you have a great dislike for Coach Doeren and you don’t miss many opportunities to let StateFans Nation readers know about it. I’m having a hard time understanding expectations. Other than Earle Edwards, Tom O’Brien, and Dave Doren, NC State has never had a football coach stick around long enough to implement a complete college football program. Either the administration and supporters of athletics become inpatient and fire the coach or the coach moves on for one reason or another.

I’m not DD’s agent or cheerleader, have never met the man in person. Frankly, I had never heard of the guy when he was hired and would have pursued other coaches instead of him for our job. I am no longer on campus, don’t live in the Raleigh area and can seldom attend games at Carter-Finley anymore. From my distant view it seems Coach Doeren has worked very hard to install an actual winning program of ongoing improvement, to include — 1) building up a first-class staff, 2) become a real factor in in-state recruiting and signing NCSU’s share of the best talent, 3) install a complete player development program – strength training, conditioning, nutrition, health and last but not least academic support.

Most of the student-athletes appear to be good citizens. Troublemakers either shape up or ship out. The team plays the game with class and they are good representatives of the school. These attributes are good reflections of their coaches and Coach Doeren is a very good representative of the team and the school. I don’t recall any PR snafus except for the Clemson PC’s-On-The-Sideline blowup. The graduation rate is improving or at least making significant strides at completing degrees.

Have the wins been slow to come about? Yes. Is the Wolfpack winning the Division and getting to the Championship Game regularly? No. Are the better bowl games inviting State? No.

All that being said, is the future bright for Wolfpack Football? For this alumnus, Wolfpack Club member and fan, I think so. Should Coach Doeren feel pressure to produce? Most certainly, anyone who has had a job knows they must respond to pressure. He needs to have another 9 to 11 win season. As for Coach Doeren, he appears to be taking the positive steps to meet the challenge. At this juncture, I am not in favor of firing him and cleaning house for a new coaching staff. I don’t think we appreciate how empty the cupboard was and the time needed to really establish a strong footing.

I’m looking forward to kick-off on September 1. Go Pack!

JaxPackMan
    NCSU class of '76
    Jacksonville, FL

Greywolf
    Participant

Greywolf, what is your point? Are you just stirring the point to see who will bite? We get that you have a great dislike for Coach Doeren and you don’t miss many opportunities to let StateFans Nation readers know about it. I’m having a hard time understanding expectations. Other than Earle Edwards, Tom O’Brien, and Dave Doren, NC State has never had a football coach stick around long enough to implement a complete college football program. Either the administration and supporters of athletics become inpatient and fire the coach or the coach moves on for one reason or another.

First and foremost I love Wolfpack football. We are nearing the end of spring practice and I was trying to stir up some football talk. And while I was about it, needle some of those who had sold out on the Pack when this thread was originally started.

You may be the only member of StateFansNation that thinks I dislike Doeren. Actually I neither like nor dislike him personally. I do believe he has slowly but steadily put together one of the better football programs in the ACC. I didn’t say he had some of the better teams in the conference but our program is one of the best.

You mentioned Edwards, O’Brien and Doeren as coaches who have been around long enough to have built a program. Coach Edwards actually built a program and some great teams, being ranked as high as 3rd in the nation one year. (Earle’s son, Bob, was a Jr. in HS in 1954 when Edwards came to State. Bob and I were classmates and neighbors in those days.)

I would have to say that Coach Amato was given ample time and support in building a program here but failed. Coach Sheridan was also here long enough, was successful and only left due to either health or personal reasons.

Thank you for your comments but we need some resistance such as 13OT provided to keep the conversation alive. (I’m not sure 13OT actually feels the way he spoke but it did keep the conversation going.)

freshmanin83
    Participant

Looking forward to WolfPack football. Expecting more exciting play and even better results. Thanks Ad Yow.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Has anyone watched or is up to date on the state of the team so far? I was wondering if there are valid expectations that the LB group will be better this year?

Greywolf
    Participant

From my distant view it seems Coach Doeren has worked very hard to install an actual winning program of ongoing improvement, to include — 1) building up a first-class staff, 2) become a real factor in in-state recruiting and signing NCSU’s share of the best talent, 3) install a complete player development program – strength training, conditioning, nutrition, health and last but not least academic support.

Jax, You don’t say it explicitly but you are alluding to the culture that Doeren has created here.

Cole Cook, TE (2014-17) says,
    “By choosing to play at NC State, I was able to help build and be influenced by a culture that promotes excellence on and off the field. I was coached extremely hard and pushed to be the best player I could be to help our team, while at the same time utilizing resources that allowed me to complete two degrees. Most importantly, I was around a group of men every day that taught me how to be a good man and prepared me for life after football.”

As Coach Doeren puts it,
    “Our goal is that when a young man leaves our program, he’s not only been provided with the tools to become a great player and earn his degree, but is prepared to be a great man.”

The Top 5 favorites list of many of our recruits now includes NC State. This isn’t where we were when Doeren came here. Doeren is ridiculed because he was touted as a great recruiter. Because of this some our fans expected Doeren to have a line of BS and would be signing 4 and 5-star recruits from the git-go.

The Pro Day recently held at NC State has opened the eyes of some of the better recruits. Rumor has it that recruits are contacting us after the showing of our future pros on Pro Day. Our entire starting defensive line is predicted to be drafted along with a few offensive players.

This is the culture of 1Pack1Goal.
    http://gopack.com/news/2018/2/28/football-1pack1goal.aspx?path=football
    Get an up close view of Wolfpack football. Overcoming a century of being promoted by the PTB to be second to UNC in all ways has not and will not be easy but it’s happening. Every Wolfpacker should read this and be proud to back the Pack.

Greywolf
    Participant

Has anyone watched or is up to date on the state of the team so far? I was wondering if there are valid expectations that the LB group will be better this year?

Practices are closed and so are the mouths of the coaches about specific results we can expect. As far as LB’s go, Sr. Germaine Pratt (6-3, 245 lbs) will start at one LB He’a the dude who picked off Lamar Jackson and then flattened Jackson as he crossed the GL for a pick 6. There are several likely players to fill the other spot. I like Brock Miller (6-3, 231) but he’s coming back after surgery so we shall see if he is ready. There are several more who red-shirted who could contribute.

IMO the biggest asset we will have is Ted Roof coaching the Safeties. I Don’t know for sure but I’m speculating that Roof will coordinate the DB’s and Nickel back while Hux will coordinate the LB’s and DL.

The big question mark IMO will be Coach Kevin Patrick and is he going to do the same good job with the DL now that those guys have graduated. Patrick was AA DE at the U and All-Pro in the NFL. I hope that translates into great coach.

Maybe somebody will have a little more than this.

Greywolf
    Participant

Thanks Ad Yow.

She’s got us currently ranked 5th or 6th in the Directors Cup. We are kicking butt in nearly all the Olympic sports. The revenue sports are looking up. Baseball is in the top 8 in every poll. I can hardly believe it. Our wrestling coach was robbed out of Nat. COY accord to a non-State biased wrestling expert. We brought home another Natty and a bunch of AA’s.

It’s the best this 80 y.o. here has ever seen Wolfpack sports and I’ve been watching and rooting for the Pack for over 70 years.

JaxPackMan
    Participant

Greywolf, thanks for the feedback. Perhaps culture is one of those words that we overuse, but you hit the proverbial head of the nail. DD can be criticized for losing to ranked teams or not enough overall wins, but instilling a culture of hard work, accountability, and responsibility in order to win will likely be his legacy and probably his biggest achievement.

Chuck Amato is such a beloved figure among former Wolfpack players being a prominent member of the famous white shoes team. I felt for CTC and was sorry his head coaching tenure came to an unhappy end. Conventional wisdom had him practically pulling all the coaching levers while the Assistant Head Coach and DC for Bobby Bowden at 1/2AssU. Expectations may have been unfairly high for Chuck and after a few seasons at NC State, it became clear to me that Ole’ Bobby was more involved with FSU than once believed. However, credit Coach Amato with having the cache in raising the donations needed to fund the C-F renovations/expansion and construction of the Murphy football ops center. Without Chuck as the head coach, I believe the scope of the projects would have been scaled back. Thank you Chuck The Chest!

JaxPackMan
    NCSU class of '76
    Jacksonville, FL

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Bumping a 2 year old thread… proving yourself worthy of the top spot for SFN’s pinnacle of petulance award. Congratulations! I’ve got to be a close 2nd because I’m tempted to make a thread titled “Anybody NOT done with greywolf”.

lol finish with a winning ACC record for ONE season out of 5 and you got sunshine squad beating their chest like we are national champs

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

DD can be criticized for losing to ranked teams or not enough overall wins, but instilling a culture of hard work, accountability, and responsibility in order to win will likely be his legacy and probably his biggest achievement.

Hmmmmm… Sounds’s identical to the previous coaches culture. Why I’d go so far as to say you’ve described a vast majority of CFB football’s “culture”.

13OT
    Participant

I think this program will probably remain mediocre under DD if you look at how the Wolfpack has done overall since he came in. The OOC schedule, most of it at home, is made for easy wins against teams that most Pack fans don’t care to see. It may upgrade a little with WVU in September, but there are plenty of chances every season to win 8 or 9 games when 4 or 5 are all but guaranteed W’s.

I do feel exactly the way I spoke. Until there are changes from above the coaching levels here at NCSU, I just don’t see any upgrade of the football program anytime soon.

freshmanin83
    Participant

Bumping a 2 year old thread… proving yourself worthy of the top spot for SFN’s pinnacle of petulance award. Congratulations! I’ve got to be a close 2nd because I’m tempted to make a thread titled “Anybody NOT done with greywolf”.

lol finish with a winning ACC record for ONE season out of 5 and you got sunshine squad beating their chest like we are national champs

Lol thanks your hyperbole gave me a genuine chuckle Capt. Gloomy pants.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 181 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.