Anybody else taking a knee on the NFL?

Home Forums StateFans Non Sports Talk Anybody else taking a knee on the NFL?

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    pakfanistan
    Participant

What’s sad (and concerning) is this guy is 100% fully buying into it. They really do believe it. They believe we no longer have to respect anything, including the law of the land, because there are a tiny fraction of athletes not performing a non-compulsory act during the national anthem. It is stated clearly right here in this thread for the world to see.

StateRed44
    Participant

He’s just gonna be a jack ass because he has no argument. Same as all of them.

WolfBlood86
    Participant

And the right is not???? Yes I am right leaning but both play the same game. I’m old enough to have had devotions and said the pledge every morning in school. I also was trained in how to properly treat the flag and was part of the group that raised and lowered the flag each day. So I’m not some “leftist” who knows nothing or doesn’t care. This has become the current “wedge issue” to take our minds away from more serious issues.

Exactly! Both sides are shoveling the same BS.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t praise Trump for calling a “spade a spade” then criticize the left for dividing us because Trump’s rhetoric is divisive as well… This issue would have just died down and went away until Trump opened his mouth. As President of the United States, you (as well as everyone) should hold yourself to a higher standard then calling players protesting “sons of b*tches” while calling protesting Neo-Nazis “fine people”.

StateRed44
    Participant

And the right is not???? Yes I am right leaning but both play the same game. I’m old enough to have had devotions and said the pledge every morning in school. I also was trained in how to properly treat the flag and was part of the group that raised and lowered the flag each day. So I’m not some “leftist” who knows nothing or doesn’t care. This has become the current “wedge issue” to take our minds away from more serious issues.

Exactly! Both sides are shoveling the same BS.

You can’t have it both ways. You can’t praise Trump for calling a “spade a spade” then criticize the left for dividing us because Trump’s rhetoric is divisive as well… This issue would have just died down and went away until Trump opened his mouth. As President of the United States, you (as well as everyone) should hold yourself to a higher standard then calling players protesting “sons of b*tches” while calling protesting Neo-Nazis “fine people”.

Trump never called neo-nazis fine people, that is a lie. He condemned neo-nazis, said not all were neo-nazis, some were fine people, implying NOT the neo-nazis. Are yall too dumb to comprehend? Why bother setting up straw men? What’s the point? Read the quote. He did call people protesting the flag and national anthem SOB’s. Good on him.

TheCOWDOG

Oh the irony. Has anyone heard a single player say they are protesting the flag and anthem?

StateRed44
    Participant

Ok, fair enough, how about “He did call people protesting a nonexistent conspiracy by disrespecting the flag during the national anthem SOB’s.”

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

Good luck TCD. I penned a paragraph yesterday and let it sit for a few hours contemplating posting it. Decided against it because so few are willing to listen and absorb the message. Only interested on admonishing the messengers and I wasn’t interested in being the target of the vitriol and insults.

rthomas44
    Participant

You are correct, CD. Not one on their knee is disrespecting our country or flag. They are quietly trying to say there is Injustice and discrimination still in country.

pakfanistan
    Participant

What conspiracy?

This isn’t chemtrails and faked moon landings. The news is full of unarmed and mentally ill people being executed with zero repercussions in 99.9% of cases.

StateRed44
    Participant

You are correct, CD. Not one on their knee is disrespecting our country or flag. They are quietly trying to say there is Injustice and discrimination still in country.

Maybe some. I think it’s more about the conspiracy of “systemic oppression”. Because the inequality of outcomes must = racism. To swallow this, please take no notice of confounding variables.

Daniel_Simpson_Day
    Participant

I am continually amazed at the number of people who marginalize racism just because they don’t witness/experience it. Reminds me of people who claimed the holocaust never happened.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Maybe some. I think it’s more about the conspiracy of “systemic oppression”. Because the inequality of outcomes must = racism. To swallow this, please take no notice of confounding variables.

When the inequality of outcome is being killed, and the leading indicator is skin color…..yes.

etab4u
    Participant

DSDay, I also had a response composed but have elected not to post. I believe that Tractor57 and TexPack offered some constructive information around the subject early in the thread but it has dissolved into a shouting match worthy of a cable news panel where all talk over each other and neither side makes a relevant point. I think I’ll change the channel now. Thanks.

StateRed44
    Participant

When the inequality of outcome is being killed, and the leading indicator is skin color…..yes.

The word you are looking for is behavior

pakfanistan
    Participant

No it’s not.

In the study, researchers wrote that their analysis of the 990 fatal shootings in 2015 “suggests the police exhibit shooter bias by falsely perceiving blacks to be a greater threat than non-blacks to their safety.”

Black individuals shot and killed by police were less likely to have been attacking police officers than the white individuals fatally shot by police, the study found.

……
    In the first three months of 2016, 12 percent of blacks killed were unarmed, compared with 6 percent of whites, according to The Post database.

StateRed44
    Participant

I am continually amazed at the number of people who marginalize racism just because they don’t witness/experience it. Reminds me of people who claimed the holocaust never happened.

The issue is “systemic oppression” which must imply either official or conspiratorial.

StateRed44
    Participant

[F]or 2015, the Post documented 987 victims of fatal police shootings, about twice the number historically recorded by federal agencies. Whites were 50 percent of those victims, and blacks were 26 percent.

That percentage of black victims is not helpful in proving that policing is racist. Though blacks are 13 percent of the nation’s population (and whites, 62 percent), blacks’ violent crime rates would predict that at least a quarter of the victims of police killings would be black. Police shootings will be correlated with the prevalence of armed suspects, violent crime, and suspect resistance in a population and area. Blacks were charged with 62 percent of all robberies, 57 percent of all murders, and 45 percent of all assaults in the 75 largest U.S. counties in 2009, while constituting roughly 15 percent of the population in those counties. From 2005 to 2014, 40 percent of cop-killers were black. Given the racially lopsided nature of gun violence, a 26 percent rate of black victimization by the police is not evidence of bias.

Moreover, the vast majority of the 258 black victims of police shootings in 2015 were armed, as were white and Hispanic victims. And 258 is a small fraction of the nearly 6,000 annual black victims of black committed homicide. Indeed, the percentage of black homicide deaths that result from police killings is far less than the percentage of white and Hispanic homicide deaths that result from police killings: 4 percent of black homicide victims are killed by the police, compared with 12 percent of white and Hispanic homicide victims. A “Lives Matter” antipolice movement, if there is to be one, would more appropriately be labeled “White and Hispanic Lives Matter.”
    https://www.encounterbooks.com/features/11-critical-points-race-crime-america/

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Then why is there supporters in this very thread saying “You’ve got to earn respect?”

MrPlywood
    Participant

The issue is “systemic oppression” which must imply either official or conspiratorial.

North Carolina’s gerrymandering would qualify as both.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/05/north-carolina-gerrymandering/527592/

rthomas44
    Participant

Let’s not forget that when someone is killed by law enforcement, there is an issue of denied due process. This is a constitutional right and don’t tell me about police fearing for their own safety. If this is their defense, they should resign. This is a result of the Supreme Court deciding that anyone that can fog a mirror can walk around with as many guns as he or she can carry. This is a crazy country and it will only get worse.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Then why is there supporters in this very thread saying “You’ve got to earn respect?”

Because you said they were “disrespecting” basically everything.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

lmao backpedaling quicker than Deion Sanders

I am protesting you by farting whenever I read one of your posts. You have to earn my non-flatulence.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Either you don’t know what backpedaling means, or you’ve been huffing your own farts.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

you nasty SOB lmao

*riiiiiiiiip*

erichack
    Participant

Love the site…haven’t posted in quite some time…feel I need to comment to my fellow NCSU bretheren…

the flag is symbolic and is most assuredly a powerful symbol…its power is based on the fact that it represents ALL Americans past and present…so to use the flag as a platform to protest means you are speaking to ALL Americans…I am certain that a great number of Americans (including cops) have made great efforts to find justice for all people in a world that is evil…it has not been perfect and I don’t expect it to be perfect any time soon, but the overwhelming trajectory of the great American experiment is that the people that flag represents are a righteous people that only wants life, liberty, and justice for ALL…the problem I have about the protest is that by using the flag as a platform they throw ALL Americans in the same group as being the problem…America (the people) IS the solution to the evils that work in this world, but I dont hear anyone (leaders, media, prominent minority Americans, etc.) making that case to those who only see injustice when looking at the flag…If anything there only seems to be a celebration that this is occurring without any efforts to be honest to the situation…and it is that fact that I find overwhelmingly OFFENSIVE…We need leaders that are willing to face the current tide and speak the truth…

For those that dont like the presidents tweets, I understand your feelings, but I also want to point out he is the only prominent political leader that is pointing to this situation as a push in the wrong direction for this country…which it most certainly IS…freedom of speech isn’t the problem here, its the effort to vilify America as a whole…that is deeply offensive to me and I have no interest in caving on that issue to those that dont know the truth and/or dont care to live by that truth…there has been a great effort to divide this country for some time now and I see his efforts as a way to combat this…even if his tweets are seen as an attack on those that are seen as exercising freedom of speech, it needs to be said…freedom of speech doesn’t guarantee that the speech is right or honest…throwing ALL of America under the bus is most certainly wrong and must be confronted…and i love the fact that he is forcing the NFL to be honest to what is happening…we need leaders that are not afraid of speaking to the truth in a difficult situation…I hope he keeps up the pressure!…

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.