Anya

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    redwolf87
    Participant

I was sitting down at the beach in New Hanover this past weekend. Most of it in the hotel room. Thanks, rain.

Anyway, it was not lost on me, as I watched the waves crash in front of me, that Anya’s gained a lot of his weight back.

So, I wondered to myself if Gott might have cut him a deal that, if he came back for this season, he’d be allowed to go off the diet.

Ugly thing to say, but I feel like it needed to be asked.

pakfanistan
    Participant

I do not find this theory compelling.

What I think is more likely is the staff looked at the situation and realized that sometimes you can lead a horse to water but he’s still going to eat a quart of phish food, and since cycling 100lb every six months is not the healthiest thing in the world, they may as well make the best of the situation and put some kale on top of that chicken, egg, and bacon biscuit.

PackofMac
    Participant

I’m imagining a faded image of BJ floating just above the ocean at sunset. I’m not sure what to say about someone sitting in the cool sand, listening to the calming sound of the waves crashing on shore whose thoughts in this wonderful moment are about BJ Anya. Anyway, BJ realized towards the end of last year that he enjoys being around the team and the program, BJ also realaized his NBA hopes were quickly vanishing before his eyes so I think he just decided to enjoy himself as much as he can and enjoy the college experience. BJ is not a distraction, his production and minutes really haven’t suffered at all with his weight gain. BJ Anya isn’t even on the radar of NC State problems.

packbackr04
    Participant

where was Anya going? he sure as hell wasnt going pro.

Adventuroo
    Participant

Absolutely no input on current situation. In the past, maybe 2 years ago, Anya was toeing the mark on his diet and the nutritionist was reporting his progress.

But on the weekends, he would gorge like an alcoholic falling off the wagon.

With Lutz gone, there doesn’t seem like the same level of player discpline or Coaches control.

gso packbacker
    Participant

As painful as it can be to watch him trudging along on the court, my sense is that he was happier and even played a little better WITH the weight over his first few seasons.

Currently, he can’t play for long and he can only play in certain “conditions”, however, I would invest all coaching efforts toward getting the team to play defense together and not worry about the Big Man’s weight.

I am waiting for an announcer to ask how much he weighs and the color analyst to respond “three or four spins”. 🙂

ryebread
    Participant

Lay off Anya. His weight is his weight. It’s no conspiracy against NC State sports, or deal with Gott. It’s likely an addiction to food and possibly a low metabolism or some sort of thyroid issue. I hope for his sake that he can get it down a bit for his life after NCAA sports.

I’m personally thankful for the fact that he stuck it out for years and seemingly did so with a great attitude. This program would be in much better shape if more kids had done that.

Rick
    Keymaster

Anya is the first player to exhaust his four years of eligibility under Gott so there’s that.

Adventuroo
    Participant

N&O reports BJ & GOTT had words at practice. BJ suspended for FSU game. No traveling.

Unfortunately, he was our best bench cheerleader.

The sad saga continues

packbackr04
    Participant

oh bother…

StateRed44
    Participant

Wheels coming completely off now. Won’t be long fellas.

BJD95
    Keymaster

When MG gets back from Tally, he should be told he won’t be needed any further. KH is the de facto leader of our team, definitely has the most spirit.

I gather that he speaks for the “silent majority” of folks that are officially tired of this shit.

Rick
    Keymaster

I gather that he speaks for the “silent majority” of folks that are officially tired of this shit.

I wonder is it was a “We have had enough” moment from the big guy.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Where do you see Anya out tonight? I’m not finding it anywhere on N&O website.. i do see one tweet mentioning Anya didn’t make the trip to Tallahassee though.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant
    Adventuroo
    Participant

If my memory is correct, FSU has a 7′ 4″ player, officially, the TALLEST athlete in FSU history. Hope and Abu and Y7 are given a good meal prior to the game. BJ may be BIG, but at least he could threaten to sit on the guy.

I am also glad that others observed how much of a bench leader that BJ is. Wonder what got him the Technical?

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Roo, they got a kid, Michael Ojo, who is a freak listed at 7’1″ and 291 pounds. He’s basically a monster. Would have been nice to have Anya tonight…

ryebread
    Participant

Yeah, it is official. When you lose Anya, you’ve lost the team. People took a lot of uncalled for shots at BJ, but from what I could tell, he looked like a great teammate to me.

Gott should be the one suspended from FSU…

redwolf87
    Participant

For the record, I meant this as sort of a joke.

Obviously I’ve got to couch my stuff in a little more obvious bent.

McCallum
    Participant

Fat boy can come to my hog killing anytime.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Rye – I am with you on this. I suspect his problems arise from a food addiction and hopefully he gets that straightened out because when the basketball ends he will really be susceptible to morbid obesity.

He has seemed like a great teammate….And lest we forget, he totally saved the LSU game on the tournament in what seems like forever ago.

I really do wonder what he said. He probably called out Gott. Too bad he didn’t tweet it.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

dopamine…

in which case, Coach being on your a##, would make one eat more not less…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    Adventuroo
    Participant

Just curious…..
    Did not listen to the Radio Pre-Game or to Gottfried’s radio show, but saw comments about it.

Is Anya STILL on a day-to-day-to-Game-Day basis or was this a one time deal?

Was it a “discipline issue based on insubordination”?

Was it a lack of effort in practice?

Was it a “tale of the scale” issue?

Just curious….not letting him play is one thing, but he brings a lot of emotional and motivational energy to the bench…

Adventuroo
    Participant

Follow up. Wife wondering if there was a Gottfried tantrum like last year with Lutz when the finality of the season came crashing down?

Adventuroo
    Participant

Jeff Gravely reports that BJ WILL travel with the team….no other comments about status, PT, dressing out, etc…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.