ANOTHER chance for Avent, NC State Athletics to end 23 year championship drought

Home Forums All StateFansNation ANOTHER chance for Avent, NC State Athletics to end 23 year championship drought

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    StateFans
    Keymaster

Today COULD be a very special day for NC State Athletics and for one of our very own, Elliot Avent, as the Wolfpack baseball program seeks its sixth o
    [See the full post at: ANOTHER chance for Avent, NC State Athletics to end 23 year championship drought]

wolfpackdawg
    Participant

WTNY

blpack
    Participant

So far they’ve been hitting them where we ain’t and we have been hitting it right at them.

Master
    Participant

Instead of an inspiring piece of journalism, just another reminder of NC State futility. This article could have been so much more…

TheCOWDOG

For the record, I hope that one day…

Stepping on good Mojo becomes a freaking reality to you guys.

Screw the piece and anyone that responded.

I’m burning my words as I type.

Stop fuc#ing stepping on good threads!

Dump the ego. You’re killing us.

Or…actually take note of stuff before ya fire up yer keyboard.

I swear.

PackofMac
    Participant

Baseball is the American sport, athletes no matter what size or race, umpire/officials generally doing a great job officiating a sport, not trying to be the focus of attention and a coach who loves his and our university. Pack9 made a great run and if you’d told any of us we’d go 3-0 in pool play against 2 ranked teams a month ago you’d be just as negative as a few are right now. Their hitters were better than our pitching today, their bullpen was better than our hitters. I enjoyed from beautiful Beaufort, NC watching this weekend of NC State baseball without any complaints. From pure domination to magical extra inning game win, we were treated to good NC State baseball. Congrats Coach Avent, GO PACK.

john of sparta
    Participant

ryebread
    Participant

PackofMac: that’s kind of how I see it. We were dead in the water ~6 weeks ago and now have a ton of momentum heading into the big tournament. That’s a huge turn around!

Go Pack! Make some noise!

StateFans
    Keymaster

How th *#@*# can you guys not have the ability to separate the distinctly different topics of “this year in baseball” with the overall topic of NC State Athletics?

This has been a nice team to watch play well when things hadn’t gone so great early. Cool! Yaaay!!

But, being 44 years old and not having won an ACC Championship in one of the top sports for 23 years feels like a pretty damn big topic to me.

Adventuroo
    Participant

OK…so we need to petition AD Yow and tell her to fire Avent. I’ll start a Mass email campaign.

Yes, it is very frustrating. No two ways about it.

However, it seems that we are becoming relevant in baseball again. Don’t remember why Ray Tanner left, but I think it was one of Todd Turner’s “last” moves.

It is what it is.

The team has momentum. They are playing much better than in years past. I think that tone of the article is way off base….but folks are replying…

I have watched several games….have not had the opportunity to go to them…but decided NOT to be the KoD and go to yesterday’s final.

AsheWolf
    Participant

I’m so sorry I missed reading the masterpiece before it was removed. And I don’t know who “you guys” are, but I know these things. I have a couple of degrees from NC State, my beloved alma mater. They taught me to count. We all get it. It’s been a long drought. But the kids that donned the red and white this year and played their guts out have zero to do with that history. It seems like it’s “you guys” that have trouble separating this season from historical performance. I was able to really enjoy watching THIS team THIS season. They performed way better than pretty much anybody gave them a chance to do. And it ain’t over yet.

And would winning it all even make a difference to the miserable amongst us? We went to our first CWS since 1968, only the second time in program history and the haters complained that it’s only once in 19 years of Avent… blah, blah, blah.

History is history. Now is now. I get it. Do you?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Timing is everything.
    Always been that way, always will be.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

^ Good point. Maybe better as a mid-summer reflection. Not the day after going 3-0 against ND, Miami, and VA and playing in the championship game even if the result was a loss. Especially considering the improved position they put themselves in for postseason play and the fact that said play hasn’t begun yet. No doubt a relevant topic, but after the fat lady has sung. And may she hold off as long as possible.

YogiNC
    Participant

So just to put this in perspective, we beat three really good programs just to get INTO the game. We lost to a team that had underperformed over the last 3 weeks BUT had really gotten their mojo back in the Tournament and were 3 – 0 also. AND they have a REALLY good team. Had it been 2 out of 3 I think we could have gotten at least one, and maybe two against them. It isn’t like FSU doesn’t have “THE” brand in baseball and football because they do! Things just didn’t break our way. And trust me, they REALLY broke our way Friday night. We could have not even made it to the big game if not for an incredible piece of luck and a great effort throughout the last 3 weeks of the season and the tournament.

What drives me nuts, and I’ve said it over and over, is the naysayers that continue, no matter what, to blast the program (collectively all sports) over EVERY loss. WAKE Fu@king up, We have made great strides in the last 5 years (since DY came on board). And we have been competing with a bunch of MOMBO cheaters for talent and I can see us turning that corner. My question is, just WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO PLEASE YOU GUYS??? A national championship in every sport would still come up short for those who find the shortcomings in EVERY EFFORT. I’ve got an idea for you, why don’t YOU go win those championships for us?

Smarter than the average bear

Tau837
    Participant

How th *#@*# can you guys not have the ability to separate the distinctly different topics of “this year in baseball” with the overall topic of NC State Athletics?

Why the *#@*# do you feel compelled to post about the “overall topic of NC State Athletics” right now? As PIR put it:

Maybe better as a mid-summer reflection. Not the day after going 3-0 against ND, Miami, and VA and playing in the championship game even if the result was a loss. Especially considering the improved position they put themselves in for postseason play and the fact that said play hasn’t begun yet. No doubt a relevant topic, but after the fat lady has sung.

StateFans
    Keymaster

Ok…Writing about the drought in major sports makes more sense to post just before the gymnastics season gets under way. Got it! Thanks for that advice!

If we would have WON on Sunday then the topic of the major sports drought being over would have been a major story…and we would have been leading it. I even heard the announcers on 99.9 talking about it. Had we NOT highlighted the topic then we would have actually looked pretty stupid. I can’t change the friggin facts. We can only discuss them.

I think you guys are more frustrated that we lost (Avent now 0 for 5 in Championship games) than anything….so, you’ve got to be mad at somebody.

AsheWolf
    Participant

Um, no.

freshmanin83
    Participant

I am surprised at the reaction to the article. I thought the tone was hopeful, the content accurate and thought provoking. The timing seems natural. I don’t see the problem. Whoever the author is I appreciate the effort and content.

TheCOWDOG

The author is unaware of dugout rules.

Baseball people take this stuff seriously. Might just have well stepped on the chalk lines, or shaved the winning streak stubble.

“Hey everybody! Clancy has a no-hitter goin’ into the 8th.”

Nah…People aren’t mad, after the fact.

All is well. We pick it up from Forth Worth 🙂

Just try to be a bit more cognizant of Mr.Mojo, please.

Pack78
    Participant

And whoever is in charge of Jobu’s rum keep it coming…

Wufpacker
    Participant

The author is unaware of dugout rules.

Baseball people take this stuff seriously. Might just have well stepped on the chalk lines, or shaved the winning streak stubble.

“Hey everybody! Clancy has a no-hitter goin’ into the 8th.”

Nah…People aren’t mad, after the fact.

All is well. We pick it up from Forth Worth :-)

Ya damn smarth ass 😉

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Sammy never cared for stubble that much, but worse and especially, hair that touched your ears. Streak be god damned. Lord, he hated those 1973 Oakland Athletics. Accused us of having them as our GD MFing heroes, and perhaps they were. A profusely profane man, he could be.

TheCOWDOG

Spo didn’t mind stubble.
    Hell, Stod, Grinder and Dempsey could shave 3 times a day and never make a dent!LOL.

He also never referred to our coiffs as hair.

What would he say, Wolfanatic?

Wuf…As for that city in Texas…I see no way around its new moniker. Forth Worth, it must be.

Yes, Sam was an extremely profane man, and I am very proud to have been a catalyst for the creations of new ones he never dreamed he had in him 😉

Wufpacker
    Participant

Yep, as it should be I suppose.
    Shoulda gone with the abbreviated version I guess.

Wolfanatic
    Participant

Cowdog, to us walk-ons, it was get your effin haircut. To the scholarship players, he told them: “trim up that moss, Danny boy.” BTW. I was Stoddard’s Bullpen Bitch (book to follow) for just over a year. Not bragging a’tall, mind you…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.