And now from Charlotte

Home Forums All StateFansNation And now from Charlotte

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    TheAliasTroll
    Participant

I wonder if there’s ever been a freeway built through a white neighborhood?

pakfanistan
    Participant

Probably not.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

Would not having more roads to and from the town not actually open up more economic opportunity. Is there no exits on this terrible freeway?

Fastback68
    Participant

Is the Blue Ridge Parkway considered a freeway

Rick
    Keymaster

Probably not.

I seem to remember 540 going through a lot of neighborhoods in Cary and I am guessing some of them were white. But granted this is supposition.

BTW if anyone has posts disappearing let me know. Its probably stuck in moderation and I can release it.

ncsu1987
    Participant

Two points
    1) I enjoy watching the back and forth between McCallum and paki.
    2) It seems race relations in the US has stepped back 50 years. I truly thought having a black president would improve things but it has not improved and appears to have made things worse.

Agree on both counts.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I posted three times to the NC Political Forum and each time it did NOT appear and once there was a “Someone has BLOCKED YOU” Yellow Message at the top…

But, me be paranoid….certainly you jest. This is not the first time. I did some editing when this happened before and got the word count down and also took out a couple of “trigger words”. BINGO….post approved.

Do not have a body cam video or screen shots, just report what has happened before. The OTHER time was the “This Post was Deleted and NEVER will be Discussed Again”…..and it DID have “filters” BEFORE it disappeared…

pakfanistan
    Participant

I posted three times to the NC Political Forum and each time it did NOT appear and once there was a “Someone has BLOCKED YOU” Yellow Message at the top…

But, me be paranoid….certainly you jest. This is not the first time. I did some editing when this happened before and got the word count down and also took out a couple of “trigger words”. BINGO….post approved.

Do not have a body cam video or screen shots, just report what has happened before. The OTHER time was the “This Post was Deleted and NEVER will be Discussed Again”…..and it DID have “filters” BEFORE it disappeared…

I still haven’t figured out what the filter trigger words are. I know cursing is a trigger for non-mods. But there are other things too I still haven’t pinned down.

Rick
    Keymaster

I released them. It is not personal just the filter built into wordpress.

McCallum
    Participant

I’m saying that your n=1 concept of the world will lead to an appearance of ignorance.

Merely pointing out that your flippant remark about highways being a symbol of white privilege might actually have merit for some people. That doesn’t mean that EVERY highway is, or EVERY highway isn’t.

Feel free to tell me which part you disagree with. Was Hayti not a successful black neighborhood? Was a freeway not built through the middle of it?

But really, I suspect it’s not the ‘freeway through a black neighborhood’ part you disagree with.

No more merit than saying modern health care, clean water, education etc are manifestations of white privilege. Sarcasm is a bit beyond you.

I’m sure the neighborhood you found on Wikipedia was successful but no more successful than the hundreds of Polish, Italian, German, etc neighborhoods that were hit by urban renewal projects, some of which involved federal housing projects in the very middle of ethnic enclaves. You might want to explore the row house Catholic of Philadelphia experience as it changed with the importing of blacks from the south in an effort to drive down manufacturing wages.

You seem to posit that the road was built because the neighborhood was successful and black. I’d simply disagree and point you, as I did earlier, to the work of Louis Wirth.

And last, why are these yo-you trying to block 277 and I-85?

To bring attention to what again?

McCallum

NCSU88
    Participant

Not a Freeway, but TVA and the New Deal certainly displaced some folks in the mountains.

http://www.knoxnews.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/many-displaced-by-tva-not-honored-33c34b33-4600-349b-e053-0100007f356b-381033751.html

McCallum
    Participant

That’s progress.

It’s different.

McCallum

YogiNC
    Participant

When they built I95 waaaaaay back when it displaced ALL in it’s path from Maine to Florida, most families got pennies on the dollar for their land (same happened with I 40, and I know of at least 5 farms that were split in half down around Benson).

Smarter than the average bear

tjfoose1
    Participant

Not about race. It’s about money and the politically connected, which sometimes comes down along racial lines.

Solidified by:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London

McCallum
    Participant

Is double entry accounting a form of white privilege?

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Obviously….

what may or may have happened in Charlotte last week is ancient history this week…. just as some predicted…

PS 220… Tompkins Hall…
    HS 260… Harrelson Hall…

those “urban renewal” projects were definitely bought and sold as political 2 for 1’s …
    tear down something “we” don’t want…
    put back something better “everybody” wants…

the first rule of politics is “Piss off the least number of people” to “please the most number of people” WHEN, and only WHEN,
    everybody is watching…

The Interstates as all you historians know…
    were bought and sold as necessary for “National Defense” for ALL citizens, black, white, whatever …
    and were probably General Eisenhower’s greatest claim to Presidential Immortality…
    and they paid for themselves…

The Connectors… were sold to get people who lived in the suburbs to work downtown on time and back home for dinner and to connect the Interstates…

As suggested above, ALL Roads go where the politically connected want them to go and don’t go where the politically connected DONT want them to go… then, now, forever… as long as roads are built by governments….

and yes #147 in Durham did everything ya’ll have said it did…

Back in the day…Hayti was special… and old… and rundown…
    and to fix that would have ultimately meant that the people of Hayti couldn’t afford to stay in Hayti…
    a triple conundrum at the least…

Let’s ask Mickey Michaux…
    I guarantee #147 did NOT happen without his family’s tacit approval or silence, those being the same thing…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

So roads are or aren’t part of white privilege?

Can other races live off the residual of white privilege?

Does Caddy Shack ever get old?

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

No and Yes and Maybe
    Yes
    No

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

And it’s time to shut this party down and move it to the West Coast….

Black man shot dead by police near San Diego

Please have your tickets ready when passing thru the boarding gate….

pakfanistan
    Participant

Perfect example of how complex this issue is. It’s in no small part simultaneously a mental health issue, a training issue, a culture issue….

Adventuroo
    Participant

Ask my late FIL about I-85 and how politics moved it when Oxford, NC was about to become Radiator Springs.

Then add in Lady Bird’s super sized medians for wildlife & wild flowers. He finally went to court to get a less than decent settlement.

Original route bypassed Oxford. Politics ruled. His farm got forked.

McCallum
    Participant

Perfect example of how complex this issue is. It’s in no small part simultaneously a mental health issue, a training issue, a culture issue….

There isn’t much complexity to it.

1) 73% out of wedlock birth rate in black community
    2) unstable social and cultural environment
    3) the social dysfunction that accompanies social fracturing

Set that in place in a culture where anything goes and you have a large swath of a community that is very resistant to getting itself under control.

The sexual revolution wrecked many communities. It certainly impacted the black community more than any other.

But again I could be wrong. The Mennonites of Lancaster County Pa might break loose any day now.

McCallum

rthomas44
    Participant

It must be terrible to be a closed minded bigot and a supreme jackass at the same time. You and Trump would be great brothers in the KKK.

pakfanistan
    Participant

It must be terrible to be a closed minded bigot and a supreme jackass at the same time. You and Trump would be great brothers in the KKK.

No, don’t you understand, babies born out of wedlock because of the sexual revolution in the US are the reason an unarmed, mentally ill man from Uganda was shot in San Diego. It’s the butterfly effect man.

YogiNC
    Participant

THAT is one of the most bigoted things I’ve heard in quite some time. You know neither personally and yet because they hold differing views THEY are the bigots. NOT! I have seen the liberals slowly become the non-liberals. By and large as a group (stereotyping here) they hold no one’s views but their own to be correct, and stomp on opposing views by assigning labels to them that are most unsavory.

Let’s put a true label on Mrs. Clinton, the HMFIC of the liberal movement at the moment. How about FELON, Perjurer, contempt of congress, and I can think of a few more terms of which she should be wearing an orange jump suit with the letters DOC on the back. Go ahead, deny that the liberals standard bearer is not guilty as charged. And just because she got a pass from the FBI as ordered by Obama and the AG is no excuse. If I or any other “normal” citizen had committed just one count of loss of classified material we would be in jail. The standard is “equal treatment under the LAW”. It didn’t happen.

Smarter than the average bear

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.