A Sports Thread For Adventuroo

Home Forums All StateFansNation A Sports Thread For Adventuroo

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    Wufpacker
    Participant

Since WufPacker used a Slave Joke with a Thomas Jefferson punchline in the UVA thread

I knew there was a reason I didn’t click on this thread ’til now.
    And it wasn’t a slave joke. It was a double standard white cracker joke.
    There’s a difference.

McCallum
    Participant

2 things:
    I hope that Presbyterian was PCA and not USA. If its USA then you should be “all-in” on the LBGT thing! Besides, the Holy Ghost would have struck you dead for mentioning P-USA and Pentecostal in the same sentence!
    If you were raised Pentecostal and P-USA its no wonder your’re such a tortured soul!

2nd thing:
    I hope by lawn darts you are referring to *REAL* lawn darts, the kind that were 14? long, had a weight and a 3? spike on the end! Not these badminton cocks on steroids they try to pass off as lawn darts today.
    First they try to pass of badminton cocks as lawn darts then they try to convince boys its OK if they feel like going to the womens john! Poor kids don’t stand a chance.

1)There was no USA PCA when I was hatched. The northern and Southern branches united in 1983 with the northern branch bringing empty pews and heretical ideas. The Southern branch brought faith, money, a fighting spirit and people. The PC USA is a bunch of women and puss.ies.

Growing up in the piedmont borderlands the Presbyterian Church had little impact but the southern end of Montgomery County is where the Cape Fear Highlanders stopped so the Presbyterian influence, socially ridged-conservative, is strong there all the way to Wilmington. Pentecostals are strong throughout the piedmont so I grew up in the Pentecostal church but with reformed Presbyterian ideals.

2) yes, I play with the “killers”.

McCallum

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

All I’m gonna say is … GOD loves ALL his people….

But if ya’ll know a church with conservative theology that starts and ends with the Sovereignty of GOD, a polity that requires the members to run the local Church not the Pastor or Corporate, and participatory worship that brings diverse people together for one purpose mixed with High Church on occasion…

Please let me know, Me and the wife want visit with you…

We tired of settling for 1.5 out of 3 — if you know what I mean….

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    McCallum
    Participant

All I’m gonna say is … GOD loves ALL his people….

But if ya’ll know a church with conservative theology that starts and ends with the Sovereignty of GOD, a polity that requires the members to run the local Church not the Pastor or Corporate, and participatory worship that brings diverse people together for one purpose mixed with High Church on occasion…

Please define “diverse”.

High church today, high church tomorrow, and high church forever. A man can put a coat and tie on at least once/week.

McCallum

YogiNC
    Participant

A man can put a coat and tie on at least once/week.

Not me, I’m pretty sure my “appearance” is not what The Almighty cares about, it’s the innards. I’m thinking just having on a coat and tie won’t get ya in.

If you want to read a really good book pick up a copy of “Tender Warrior” by Stu Meber. We have a small group doing a study on it. It’s the second best book I’ve ever read (it should be obvious what the best book is). I’ve cried my way through more than a few chapters. I wish I had read that book 30 years ago, I may have avoided making some of the mistakes I made along the way. At any rate it is special reading for any man at any age.

Smarter than the average bear

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Why don’t you ask the hard question, ’cause that ain’t it?

Diverse === Coats & Ties, Casual, and everything in between, in the same room at the same time, nobody judging…

Participatory === Feeling something move inside you and others…

One GOD, one worship, one people at least for an hour or so….

Here’s the Hard question…

“Why not?”

GoldenChain
    Participant

Pentecostals are strong throughout the piedmont so I grew up in the Pentecostal church but with reformed Presbyterian ideals.

Good gawd: the Frozen Chosen……

I’m more the Free Will/Arminian myself.

BUT glad you play with REAL yard darts!

YogiNC
    Participant

Here’s the Hard question…

“Why not?”

Oh Bill, that’s VERY simple, it’s the reason the chasm exists in the first place. Sin. You should know by now that imperfect people will never create the perfect place of worship. It’s what Paul calls seeing through the glass darkly. One day though, one day.

GoldenChain
    Participant

WOW! This thread is getting DEEP!

TheCOWDOG

I missed mass today.

Came back to this thread for penance.

3 Hail Mary’s and a good Act of Contrition should do it.

GoldenChain
    Participant

I missed mass today.

Came back to this thread for penance.

3 Hail Mary’s and a good Act of Contrition should do it.

Dude, you’re freaked.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Yogi…

Ok… I’ll give some credit for “sin”…

But “sin – the simple answer” is often a dangerous tautology…
    “Sin is… we can’t fix that… so “whatever” is what “whatever” is…we can’t fix that either….”

On the other hand, is it not true that “some” churches and their ordained, by their culture, their polity or their theology — or lack thereof of any one of those three — silently watch or condone or at other times, encourage… division and separation among people?

You see… I thought the “Order of the Day” for the Church was to bring diverse people together for one purpose, not separate them….

McCallum
    Participant

A man can put a coat and tie on at least once/week.

Not me, I’m pretty sure my “appearance” is not what The Almighty cares about, it’s the innards. I’m thinking just having on a coat and tie won’t get ya in.

If you want to read a really good book pick up a copy of “Tender Warrior” by Stu Meber. We have a small group doing a study on it. It’s the second best book I’ve ever read (it should be obvious what the best book is). I’ve cried my way through more than a few chapters. I wish I had read that book 30 years ago, I may have avoided making some of the mistakes I made along the way. At any rate it is special reading for any man at any age.

WHOA!!! Hold the hell on here.

1) A man can show respect for the Lord’s house by wearing something OTHER than what he shuffles about in during the week. I was raised in a pulp wood cutting, textile mill attending Pentecostal church and the men wore coat and tie. There was no hierarchy. You are in a sacred place, find something better than a golf shirt and some jeans.

2) no crying ever. If you do it, do so in solitude away from others and don’t tell anyone. If we are going to turn this damn world around and get the women back in line we’ve got to have some balls.

I can sense reflection on your part and the emotional aspect of repentance, all good but easy on the estrogen.

THECowdog,

I hope you are a pre Vatican II Catholic.

bill,

Careful, you are straying away from Trinitarian values.

McCallum

choppack1
    Participant

Botb – Amen.

The first order of any Church should be being Christians first. Politics must take a back seat to the love of Christ and the love of your neighbors. This doesn’t mean that we can’t have disagreements on issues – even passionate ones. It does mean that we can’t let these disagreements pull us apart or play that “I am less of a sinner than you” game.

GoldenChain
    Participant

Yogi…

You see… I thought the “Order of the Day” for the Church was to bring diverse people together for one purpose, not separate them….

I heard someone say “I become all things to all men so perhaps some may be saved”.

But maybe my memory is bad.

YogiNC
    Participant

Bill, when I was much younger Paul’s words meant little to me. The older I get and the more discerning I get the more I see how far away from the target I am (where that s word get’s it’s meaning in the King James). All I was trying to say is that what you seek is unattainable in this wine skin we are given to live in. No matter how “good” a church may be it will always be far from perfection because of what is part of “who we are” while in that skin. Daily I’m reminded of how hard it is to be who God intended me to be, but glad that He loves me as I am.

Wulfpack
    Participant

but glad that He loves me as I am.

And I would hope that you are just as glad that he loves others for who they are, too. Yep, we are all way off the mark. But the love He has for us is unconditional. Doesn’t mean everything you or I do is perfect, or even accepted by Him. But it does mean we are ALL loved, every…last…one of us. Whether we accept that love and what we choose to do with it is our decision.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

^Yogi… I knew that… no problem here…

The solid foundation we share is…

1. GOD is. (period in the singularity sense.)
    2. Man is NOT GOD. (period in the absolute sense.)
    3. Everything Man thinks he knows about GOD is NOT everything…

When we get that as close to that as one can… everything else pretty much takes care of itself….

What makes me shake my head or worse, is the “arrogance” of the pious priests…

As for “Trinitarian values”… who’s to say GOD’s values are not sexatarian — as in 7, not 3 ?
    Not me….

YogiNC
    Participant

WP, it’s hard at times for me to imagine He could love a Hitler, or a Charles Manson, and one of my neighbors (some of my pious priest moments Bill). Let me tell you about my sister in law who is an alcoholic … And yet nothing any of them do or have done is any worse than what I do when … (present tense)

I understand the search Bill… the problem is, if I ever find a perfect church it will become very imperfect when I start going there.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Not looking for “perfect”… just one that’s trying to do better than 1.5 out of 3… :>}

YogiNC
    Participant

to get the women back in line we’ve got to have some balls

I meant to comment on this earlier McC. Your less than delicate sense of sarcasm has always given me a chuckle, thanks so much for that.

Tender Warrior is much more than the title would imply. The crying came from a strong sense of brokenness about the man I should have been. Any man that reads that book and does not experience that is either perfect (not possible) or lives in la la land (highly possible) or is narcisstic beyond repair (also highly possible). I’m with Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf, you should use caution around a man who will not cry (see also Jimmy V video from the Espys).

GoldenChain
    Participant

WP, it’s hard at times for me to imagine He could love a Hitler, or a Charles Manson, and one of my neighbors (some of my pious priest moments Bill). Let me tell you about my sister in law who is an alcoholic … And yet nothing any of them do or have done is any worse than what I do when … (present tense)

I understand the search Bill… the problem is, if I ever find a perfect church it will become very imperfect when I start going there.

Whoever has broken one point in the Law has broken the entire Law. Hard to grasp but that wasn’t my own thought, I read it somewhere. We assign ‘value’ He does not.

Oh and if McCallum wants to dress up what’s the harm? Both views are right ‘come as you are and leave different’ and ‘the worshipers offer their first fruits’ (i.e. their best for those in faison).

McCallum
    Participant

Whoever has broken one point in the Law has broken the entire Law. Hard to grasp but that wasn’t my own thought, I read it somewhere. We assign ‘value’ He does not.

The difficulty here is the measure of the human heart. Simply adding layers of legality does nothing to improve the human condition. It can only be found through a willing person who acknowledges their condition and position before God.

Jesus saw the empty nature of guilt in the Jewish communities. An endless number of steps (613 to be precise) to be in line with God yet still no assurance that you were in God’s graces. What we see (and have seen) in our society is a return to the Mosaic Law in so many ways from hyper litigation in all things to the maze of dietary fades(look at me, I just bought cage free eggs here in my recycled bag and I’m driving them home in my Prius, Shalom). I submit that many of the depression issues in our society, much of which has a genetic basis, are actually based in guilt and the rejection of confession and repentance in favor of the therapists couch.

Oh and if McCallum wants to dress up what’s the harm? Both views are right ‘come as you are and leave different’ and ‘the worshipers offer their first fruits’ (i.e. their best for those in faison).

I believe we should work by our faith and through our faith to make this world a beautiful place. There are enough damn slobs in the world, put on some clothes when you go to church and show some respect for the Lord’s house. I never said you are getting extra points but it does INDICATE a hierarchy in society and that the church just might be a bit more important than driving down to the Wal-Mart.

Americans, and I use the term broadly because anyone can be an “American” now, are the biggest bunch of slobs, dorks and doofuses the world has ever encountered. How awful it must be that someone might burden those on the “shining city on a hill”, that they might need do something from time to time that takes them outside of their jorts and t-shirts mental and physical state.

McCallum

tractor57
    Participant

I believe there is no “work” I can do to insure a place in heaven – that is dependent on grace by the most holy. On the other hand if I am trying to walk the walk I want to serve and do good things. My goal each day is to be a better person than I was yesterday – often I fail but that does not deter me from my goal. I do not wear a coat and tie to church – simple country Methodist church that is filled with farmers, healthcare workers and the like. We attend because we like the sense of community and out of the need to worship.

McCallum
    Participant

A sign of true diversity.

Amen

McCallum

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.