A Defensive Breakdown: Part III

Home Forums All StateFansNation A Defensive Breakdown: Part III

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    xphoenix87

This post is the third and final in a series breaking down the defensive deficiencies of State’s men’s basketball team. Check out parts one and two if
    [See the full post at: A Defensive Breakdown: Part III]

ryebread
    Participant

You can find the Tenn State game on ESPN3 if you care to watch. We looked much, much better in the second half playing the Aeomeba match up zone. It’s clearly different than the 2-3 that Gott has occassionally played in the past. Tenn State may have reverted to the norm, but our players were in much better spots positionally and as a result forced some turnovers. That’s Schroyer’s influence. We’ll see if we see more of it tonight.

I never thought HWSNBN’s teams were great defensively, but they were at least average. One thing his teams did consistently well was have a big man blitz the ball screen and force the guard to turn out or retreat. It was never an intent to trap, but just enough to break up timing, force the guard to move, allow rotations, etc.. At the time it was maddening to me that we never looked to trap out of that, but I guess years of watching the roller slam it home against Sid and Gott coached teams have softened me.

I think part of this fan base is incredibly frustrated with Gott because we watched V. V wasn’t perfect and a large subset of our fan base loves to tear him down to prop up “their man” who is currently coaching, but he could really coach defense. I would love to have another head man take that sort of pride in defense and funnel their creativity into that side of the ball.

I like your summary at the end the best of the entire series. The issues are there every year regardless of the players. There’s always a WTNY group of our fan base saying the currently players are bad at defense and the next crop is more physically able, etc., but when the faces change and the results are the same it’s on the coaches.

But hey, Yow knows basketball…………

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Thanks for taking the time to put together this terrific series. I’m always amazed at how much time I end up putting into an entry for the first page, so I have some appreciation for how long this must have taken.

Really, really excellent work.

ryebread
    Participant

Joe Gigilo’s 32-5 stat is pretty amazing. It sounds like when we do try to play defense and value the ball, we do pretty well and win at a 86% rate.

That also means that when the opponent scores over 60, NC State under Gott is 83-65. That translates into a 56% winning percentage.

It’s not just against the cupcakes. There are enough conference games in there to show that we clearly do much better one way versus the other.

Come on Gott, you’re not going to win playing no defense and being loose with the ball. It’s right there in the stats from your games! You can do it man!

brqan925
    Participant

Enjoyed this series, thanks for doing it. I hope to see more analysis, defense or otherwise – here in the future.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Basketball team undefeated with Yurtseven, and the football team preparing for a bowl game on Monday. Patiently waiting?

mak4dpak
    Participant

No live blog for the bowl game. Disappointing!

mak4dpak
    Participant

Halftime 14-3, NC State over Vanderbilt! Go Pack!

mak4dpak
    Participant

28-10 going into the 4th. Go Pack!

mak4dpak
    Participant

Pack wins Independence Bowl, 41-17!!!!! Go Pack!

TheCOWDOG

Before I retire, I gotta question you must answer, Mak4the piss and moan about the front page.

I gotta know why you have this…fetish.

We all had a grand time in the forum.

mak4dpak
    Participant

Perhaps because there used to be several blogs, at least every two weeks, and when we played a game, many times a live blog. Seems to be decreased interest in doing this anymore. Guess if it had never previously been like that, I wouldn’t expect it. Guess I will have to lower my expectations. Go Pack!

mak4dpak
    Participant

Attended the women’s game vs ND. Great win for the team, over the #2 team in the country. Could be a special season for both the men and women. Go Pack!

Heelh8r
    Participant

Mak4 – Try this…at the top of the home screen, on the red bar at the top, click on “Forums”. It will be a whole new world for you

mak4dpak
    Participant

I have at times been to the forums, but just thought such an upset might deserve more attention. But thanks anyway. Go Pack!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.