(8) State vs. (4) Louisville TV: Friday 7:37pm, TBS

Home Forums All StateFansNation (8) State vs. (4) Louisville TV: Friday 7:37pm, TBS

Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    VaWolf82
    Keymaster

Are yall happy to be here, everything else is gravy, will be pissed if we lose or sacrifice a kitten if we don’t win the NC?

The team has exceeded all expectations and should be proud of their accomplishments. Everything from here on out is definitely gravy.

Two ways that I will be pissed:
    If the State team that showed up against BC (and several other games) makes another appearance.
    If State loses the game like they lost the ND game (4 pt lead and the ball with a minute to play).

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Texpack Sr. is 86 years old. He’s 8 months into chemo. He was at State for the opening of Reynolds. I want this Final Four for him.

This!

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    TheCOWDOG

Hell, yes I’ll be pissed!

Who you think is carrying my brackets?!

JesusHChristInaSideCar. Look around to see who’s left.

If you haven’t been entertained by the ride, I just don’t know what to say.

I do…but nothin’ but good medicine shall come off these thumbs.

Wufpacker
    Participant

Want more and won’t be satsfied (at least in the moment) with anything less than winning out.

Happy we’ve made it this far, but there’s plenty of time after the season ends to reflect on that.

I believe it was the famous philosopher, Winston Wolf, who said it best….

“Let’s not start jerking each other off just yet.”

Still work to be done. Stay hongry.

redcanine
    Participant

“Just because you are a character, doesn’t mean that you have character.” I like Winston too.

I’ll be pissed if we lose because that will mean that our season is over. I’ve really fallen in love with this team/program (even though I criticize sometimes) and, as a fan, I want to keep watching them play.

Gowolves
    Participant

I will not be mad if we lose this weekend as long as we give great effort. This season has been fun to follow. With that said I just have this feeling they wil at least make it to the final four.

Adventuroo
    Participant

I hope this has not been posted here…..if so, I apologize. Interesting reading….

http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032515aaa.html

In case you have NOT heard the story….back in 1979, Jimmy V (pictured in the Tim Peeler article) convinced the GM of Madison Square Garden to book Iona for two TOP 9:00 games. He actually crashed a cocktail party and literally charmed the guy into an appointment and then V took over and get his wish. Jimmy V played HS and was in the Garden for a Championship game.

First game….who cares. Second game….Iona is up against the NUMBER 1 team in the Nation….Louisville. Louisville would win the NCAA Tourney the next spring (1980). In that 9:00 game, late in the season, Jimmy V’s Iona lads took down mighty Louisville….77 – 60. Not a squeaker….and out and out drubbing.

I recall Jimmy V telling the tale in his audio book and if you google Jimmy Valvano Iona Louisville you will get several hits.

This one is cool….and I hope it works….

https://books.google.com/books?id=gbStu-wg1dIC&pg=PA234&lpg=PA234&dq=jim+valvano+iona+madison+square+garden&source=bl&ots=7Kd-OIqty1&sig=NWnxqfv4jXXkJeWi92OrKl5mE0s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=hGYTVZ62IYS1ggSMmoOQAw&ved=0CDYQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=jim%20valvano%20iona%20madison%20square%20garden&f=false

It is LONG. Bottom line, it was part of a series….greatest 100 Sporting Events – NYC. There is an “honorable mention” for every position. So, when you get to #67….it is V’s Iona team vs Kentucky….and the REAL newspaper article reads just like V’s ad libbed comments.

We are at a Time Share in Williamsburg with the GK….the ONLY reason we are not headed to ‘Cuse. We have a 24″ tall “Mr. Wolf” stuffed animal…that I picked for less than a dollar at a Yard Sale. It has been to about every NCSU FB and BB game (including the women…who are STILL playing) since 2012 or so. It graces the steering wheel of whatever car we drive or it is out in the den when we are watching or listening to a game.

Mr. Wolf is WITH US. He is perched atop (sort of behind….peering over) the Flat Screen in the Villa den. Looking down at the TV and watching the action. I did it as a gag and my wife said….”I LIKE IT….it is staying there”. Will have on all our RED (probably no white) and will be cheering with the GK’s.

GO Pack….have a good vibe….and have not had that since you know when…..

IF and I say this very quietly, we advance to a certain unnamed city in the mid west to play some BB, I and my BIL’s wife are going…..whether her husband (my BIL) or my wife goes….is of little consequence. I wanted to go to ABQ in 1983 and she did also…but the DW and BIL voted no….this time….it is a DONE DEAL…

GO PACK….

Tau837
    Participant

In rematches this year we are 1-2.

Incorrect. We played 6 teams twice: Wake, Pitt, UVA, UNC, Duke, and Clemson. In those rematch games, we were 3-3. We defeated Pitt, UNC, and Clemson in the rematches and lost to Wake, UVA, and Duke in the rematches. UVA was the only team to defeat us twice.

Not that this has any bearing on Friday’s game…

Hoping we get to play an actual rubber match game this season, whether vs. Duke or UNC.

MrPlywood
    Participant

The LSU game was hell to watch, but the payoff was great. The Nova game was a different experience, but great to watch as well. This week has been great, with all the press (and lack of believers therein, ha). All my Canuck buds know how much I dig NC State sports and they’ve all contacted me about State winning 2. It’s amazing what those first 2 games can do for a program.

I think my favourite moment so far was the Anya block and the subsequent Lacey three before the half in the Nova game. BJ’s heroics in game one is a close second.

So… happy? Yes. Am I done? Nope, and I think the team feels the same way. I’ll let you know how happy I am on Friday evening.

xphoenix87

To the subject of talent on the roster:

1) Andy Katz (who I generally don’t mind) is 100% wrong with the “top 2 line talent” comment. There was nobody who thought that before the season, and it’s pretty clear that nobody actually thinks that now, since hardly anyone is picking us over Louisville. None of our players are NBA prospects this year. Our best recruit is a guy who Louisville turned down. Nobody actually thinks we have elite-caliber talent, and saying otherwise is just disingenuous.

2) According to VerbalCommits.com, which aggregates star rankings from several recruiting sites, the average star ranking of players on States’ roster is 3.5. That’s good, but it’s not elite. It’s 5th in the ACC. Some other notable teams’ average star ratings:

Conference
    Duke 4.333
    UNC 4.028
    Syracuse 4.000
    Louisville 3.736
    NCSU 3.500
    UVA 3.359
    ND 3.278

National
    Kentucky 4.308
    Florida 3.972
    Kansas 3.909
    Arizona 3.861
    UCLA 3.833
    OSU 3.778
    Texas 3.758
    Marquette 3.667
    Georgetown 3.628
    Villanova 3.567
    Maryland 3.528
    MSU 3.303
    LSU 3.222
    Wisconsin 3.083
    Gonzaga 3.051
    WVU 2.976
    Oklahoma 2.736

Obviously, star ratings aren’t everything, but they’re at least a decent gauge of true talent

3) The teams that are truly “top two line talent” basically have one of two things going for them, generally speaking.
    I) They are absurdly talented, but usually young. These are teams like Duke, UK, Kansas and Arizona (by the way, why isn’t Carolina catching any heat for only managing a 4 seed with elite-caliber talent?)
    II) They are a very experienced team. Average experience for teams like Wisconsin (2.07 yrs, 50th nationally, according to KenPom), Gonzaga (2.13, 41st) and Villanova (1.89, 114) make up for less than elite talent with more experience.

State’s average experience is 1.31 yrs, 290th nationally. We’re on the young side for a major conference team, and we have very good talent, but not truly elite. What I would expect from that is, honestly, pretty much what we got. An erratic team that can pull out big wins and inexplicable losses, but improves significantly when they get more minutes under their belt. I actually give Gottfried a tremendous amount of credit for the development that we’ve seen with these young players. They look like a much more talented team now than they did at the beginning of the season, even when they were winning.

xphoenix87

As to the Louisville game, I said right afterwards that I think we have a better than even chance at beating them (though it’s close).

– We’re two teams trending in opposite directions. Pitino can talk all he wants about them becoming a smarter basketball team, but since the loss to State, UL lost to Syracuse, scraped by Miami, GaTech, and UVA by 1,1, and 2 points respectively, and lost by 10 to UNC in the tourney. Before the State game, KenPom ranked them 11th nationally. They’re now ranked 19th (that doesn’t seem like a lot, but it takes a big change to make a major late-season swing). That’s not just the stretch since the State game, it’s the stretch since they lost Chris Jones, a senior and one of their 3 best players. UL is a different team without Jones. We’re obviously on a great run essentially since the loss to WF. We had slip-up at BC, but other than that we’ve been a drastically differently team since the Cataissance/Freeman coming back into the starting lineup.

– We match up extremely well with them. They excel at creating turnovers and we are (and I know this is hard to believe about an NC State team) very good at not turning the ball over. Not only are we good at this over the course of the season, but we’ve been markedly better since Cat’s emergence. With the exception of the Clemson game, our turnover rates have been pretty tiny every game. Louisville is also a very poor shooting team, shooting only 30.8% from 3 on the season (and Jones, at 34%, was their best shooter). They score a large percentage of their points on 2PT shots. We are fairly mediocre defending the 3 (33.1% allowed, 109th nationally). We are excellent defending the paint. Opponents only shoot 43.2% against us from 2.

– Lennard Freeman is great matchup for Montrezl Harrell due to his combination of strength and quickness. He did an awesome job covering Harrell in the first game, and I find no reason to believe he won’t in this game. While Harrell most likely won’t struggle as much as he did in the first game, there’s a good reason why he struggled so much.

– We beat Louisville soundly on the road (which is a much bigger factor than most people think), and since then we’ve continued to play at a high level and they’ve lost ground. I don’t really have any reason to think they should be favored.

pack_time
    Participant

You’re right I was just referring to games where the rematch was a different result than the first.
    Wasn’t really counting season sweeps.

Viewing 12 posts - 126 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.