#3 NC State Wrestling hosts #10 Virginia Tech –Preview

Home Forums StateFans Baseball & Other Sports #3 NC State Wrestling hosts #10 Virginia Tech –Preview

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SaccoV
    Participant

NC State and the Hokies vie for the ACC Regular Season Team Title. It’s not the Ten Pounds of Gold of yesteryear, but it’s dang close!! Ring the bell; this one’s for the strap! Here’s my version of the breakdown:

Sean Fausz (15-5) vs. #3 Joey Dance (24-1) – Hokies. Fausz was great in his upset win over #9 Tim Lambert of Nebraska. I like Fausz to wrestle this match close, but Joey Dance’s only loss is to #1 Tomasello from Ohio State 5-4 at the Cliff Keen. Dance will win this match, but Fausz will only lose by decision.

Jamal Morris (11-5) vs. Kevin Norstrem (6-3) or Dennis Gustafson (6-3) – State. Morris wrestled well but gave up some late points to lose 7-2 against a ranked opponent (Montoya) last time out, but Morris earned the first takedown in the match. State is in a perfect position to earn bonus points at 133 as this is by far Va Tech’s weakest class. Morris needs to dominate and then some. A four-point (or more) victory is my expectation.

#3 Kevin Jack (19-3) vs. #8 Solomon Chishko (23-2) – State. This is one of several marquee matchups in this bout, and I think Jack has the slight edge. Chishko has been one of three freshmen to make a huge splash at 141 pounds (Micah Jordan from Ohio State and Tommy Thorn of Minnesota are two others). Chishko’s record speaks for itself, with losses coming to two other top-10 wrestlers (Jordan and Matt Manley from Missouri). Jack has three losses on the year, all to wrestlers ranked in the top-15. Jack was very good in his last match against Abidin, winning 6-1, and he’ll need to be that good again; and I believe he will be. Chishko comes in with a 12-match win streak, two of those over ranked wrestlers. Jack comes in with a matching 12-win clip, 4 straight over ranked opponents. Jack has the higher ranking, and the edge in this match, but I don’t see a bonus point, unless Chishko makes a huge mistake somewhere.

Jake Deangelo (20-8) or Beau Donahue (10-9) vs. Sal Mastriani (7-7) – State. Beau Donahue showed well again in a loss to a ranked opponent, falling 7-2. He only trailed 2-1 going into the third period against the #5-ranked Jake Sueflohn of Nebraska. This is another weak class for Va Tech, so State needs a win here to solidify the lead. Beau’s been strong lately, and I’ll give him the home-team edge. In terms of similar opponents, both Donahue and Mastriani have wins over Thomas Miller of UVa and losses to Evan Henderson of UN* (Mastriani saw the lights [got pinned], while Beau gave up a major 12-2).

#5 Thomas Gantt (19-0) vs. #4 Nick Brascetta (4-1) – Toss-up. Gantt has been undefeated this season and has been by far the most tested. Brascetta’s only loss was to #1 Jason Nolf of Penn State. I think Gantt keeps his streak going with an ‘upset’ over Brascetta, but it will be close. A late takedown or riding time decides this one.

#4 Max Rohskopf (11-1) vs. #12 David McFadden (17-6) – State. Max earned a strong 4-1 victory last time out against #14 Wilson from Nebraska. McFadden had a win last time out over #20 Fuller from Edinboro but lost to Cody Wiercioch from Pitt. A few common opponents here: Rohskopf has wins against all common opponents, while McFadden dropped matches to Staudenmeyer (UN*) and Wiercoch (Pitt). Rohskopf’s only loss is to #6 Kyle Crutchmer (at 174 pounds) from OK State. Max should win this one, but in Max-style, it will be close.

Nicky Hall (10-9) vs. #3 Zach Epperly (6-1) – Hokies. Nicky dropped his fourth straight match but it didn’t matter in terms of the team score. Epperly has been well rested this season, and his only loss is to #1 Bo Nickal of Penn State. Hall needs to keep this match close, but a major decision wouldn’t be the end of the world. Keep it to a major at worst, and State keeps a great chance to win the dual.

#18 Pete Renda (19-5) vs. #7 Zach Zavatsky (17-5) – Hokies. Renda lost to TJ Dudley from Nebraska 11-6 last time out, and it was the 2nd straight match Pete dropped. Zavatsky is on a 9-match winning streak, but Renda has faced tougher opponents over the last stretch. Both have wins over common opponents Bruce (Pitt) and Utley (UN*), but Zavatsky has a 3-1 SV win over #5 Vic Avery of Edinboro in his last match. The edge lies with Zavatsky, but the hope is that Pete gets his groove back with a big upset.

#15 Michael Boykin (14-6) vs. #7 Jared Haught (15-6) – Hokies. Boykin came up one point short on a bit of a controversy against Nebraska as a takedown/reversal was given to #14 Aaron Studebaker when the State coaches argued Boykin earned the two points. Either way, Boykin has been very strong on defense recently, and I am looking for his offense to get going in this next match. Haught is a strong wrestler with 5 of his 6 losses to wrestlers ranked in the top-10. Hokies get the edge here but only by decision.

HWT
    #1 Nick Gwiazdowski (25-0) vs. #3 Ty Walz (20-0) – State. Ty Walz is good. Really good. Gwiz is the two-time defending champion. If you wanted a true marquee matchup, here it is. The bad part for Walz is that he’s lost to Gwiz every time (0-4), two by fall, one major decision and one decision. Nick doesn’t need to make a statement, but Walz might be looking to hit a home run and end Gwiz’s 79-straight streak.

State’s dual team record is 21-0. Va Tech has been the class of the conference for the last few years (despite Pitt winning the ACC title last year). In my opinion, State winning this could be the passing of the torch.
    Final analysis: I count five matches for State, but the one toss-up is intriguing. State wins this one, but it’s not easy. Final score: 18-14.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Damn, they look tougher than Nebraska. Good thing this one is at home.

Match details: FRIDAY, FEB 12, 2016, 7PM, NC STATE FAIRGROUNDS – HOLSHOUSER BUILDING.

Free streaming video.

From GoPack.com: FANS ENCOURAGED TO ARRIVE EARLY FOR @PACKWRESTLE’S FRIDAY NIGHT DUAL

Pretty cool.

Wufpacker
    Participant

I had considered trying to attend and lend support, but family stuff gonna interfere.
    Maybe Mizzou.

Pack78
    Participant

With limited seating available, TOS says that VT fans may arrive early stacking the stands for the Hokies…get there early and GO PACK!

Twelvie1212
    Participant

Just a little research would show that Gustafson is an
    ACC champ at 133lbs as a freshman and a Rd of 12 guy..! He will not be
    Majored, I mean common seriously..

Twelvie1212
    Participant

Also, Norstrem hasn’t wrestled since before Xmas and not even on the roster

Wufpacker
    Participant

It appears we gots us a crabby castrated turkey in our midst.

MrPlywood
    Participant

Might be Gustafson himself!

Twelvie1212
    Participant

Not a tech fan by any means, just a wrestling fan and wanted to read any write ups about this match because it should be great and when stumbling across this i couldn’t pass up the lack of precise info..

Wufpacker
    Participant

Not a tech fan by any means, just a wrestling fan and wanted to read any write ups about this match because it should be great and when stumbling across this i couldn’t pass up the lack of precise info..

Common…seriously?

Wufpacker
    Participant

Might be Gustafson himself!

😀

SaccoV
    Participant

Gustafson did win the ACC title two years ago, and good for him; however, a ‘Round-of-12’ guy doesn’t finish 1-2 at the NCAAs (which Gustafson did in 2013-2014). Norstrem was the 133 representative for Va Tech at the NCAA’s last season. Gustafson’s record is 6-4 on the year, and all his losses are to ranked opponents, and his has no wins against ranked opponents. Two of his losses are by major decision. Again, apologies for my ‘lack of precise info.’

ncsu1987
    Participant

MrPlywood
    Participant

and a Rd of 12 guy

Speaking of being precise, that should be a “round of 16” or “round of 8” kinda guy depending on how bold you want to be. Or in his case, a “round of beer” kinda guy since he redshirted last year.

pakfanistan
    Participant

Gustafson did win the ACC title two years ago, and good for him; however, a ‘Round-of-12? guy doesn’t finish 1-2 at the NCAAs (which Gustafson did in 2013-2014). Norstrem was the 133 representative for Va Tech at the NCAA’s last season. Gustafson’s record is 6-4 on the year, and all his losses are to ranked opponents, and his has no wins against ranked opponents. Two of his losses are by major decision. Again, apologies for my ‘lack of precise info.’

TheCOWDOG

I have scant to no idea how grappling scheds are laid out…other than ACC.

I think it’s damn cool that every other match seems to butt heads with ranked opponents.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.