#22 Creighton (8:30pm CBSSN)

Home Forums StateFans Basketball #22 Creighton (8:30pm CBSSN)

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 138 total)
  • Author
    bill.onthebeach
    Participant

idk… maybe I’m a harda## old school guy…

Game was lost at the 10 minute mark in the first half…

Either the Coach reigns in the streetball then OR he let’s ’em play — knowing the percentages, so they’ll listen better the rest of the season….

idk…

That’s why he’s GOTT the beard and the big bucks…

#NCSU-North Carolina's #1 FOOTBALL school!
    rbwolfpack
    Participant

This is embarrassing. I dont care who we are missing

pyejam
    Participant

Did sound like Creighton coach mentioned our poor defense but he actually said “we have a deep bench and they don’t”. On first listen sounded like we have a defense and they don’t.

PackofMac
    Participant

I’m gald these pole smokers are fired up about beating the pack basically without a center, without a bench and without a leading scorer. I’m also glad my ass sat and watched another referee show, 2 with four at the 15 minute mark…..BJ fouls out with 3 other players with 4. Now for the other side, the tech on the big guy from Creighton was ridiculous. I wish the ref’s would realize THEY ARE NOT WHO WE ALL TUNE IN TO SEE, YOU ARE NOT THE SHOW.

Defense is and always will be the same, I think however with a full squad our offense overcomes that this year.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Smoke if you GOTT ’em…

Game over…

Good evening gents…

see ya’ll on the flip side of nowhere…
    7pm tomorrow night v. St Joe

pakfanistan
    Participant

If Abu had any touch…

choppack1
    Participant

Packofmac – I don’t know.

Creighton plays fast, smart and plays decent defense.

Gott is a good coach, but I don’t think he demands the attention to detail every second the elite guys do. Hey, the truth is sometimes that gets old. Bobby Knight’s last few teams eventually broke down. So do a lot of coach I’d teams.

I have already said it 3 times and I will say it again – to me, this is the year when gott shows he can get us there or not. hopefully, this wasn’t Oklahoma state part duex.

BJD95
    Keymaster

if he said “deep bench” then it’s fair, accurate, and no biggie. That IS why they won. Not defense. They didn’t play any more than we did, we just ran out of guys and energy.

If we had at least 1 or 2 of our missing persons back, would have been REAL fun to see us run all the way with ’em.

Rick
    Keymaster

I didn’t realize everything had to be prefect to best Creighton.
    I said it before and well day it again, this yam will only go as far as it’s defense.

bill.onthebeach
    Participant

Defense not as much as issue in this game as some might think….

Creighton gave up 95 points….

Our problem started here ==
    1. Failure to control game tempo…
    2. No Bench
    3. Conditioning

Bench Scoring –
    Pack – 8pts
    Creighton – 38pts

Bench Minutes –
    Pack – 51 — Anya played 17, so this 51 should have been 41…
    Creighton – 75

What I’m saying is given the same scenario … fast paced streetball —
    we might will 3 games out of 10 against teams with equal talent or better….

Defense or no defense, not withstanding….

Texpack
    Participant

Did sound like Creighton coach mentioned our poor defense but he actually said “we have a deep bench and they don’t”. On first listen sounded like we have a defense and they don’t.

That’s exactly what he said. He never said anything about our defense.

Texpack
    Participant

If Abu had any touch…

He’d be in the NBA. He looks better at times this year, but I still cringe any time he puts the ball on the floor. Look at him vs. Kapita. Kapita is a basketball player and Abu is an athlete who plays basketball. I like Abu. He plays his tail off, but he seriously lacks basketball skills that a 6′-8″ guy needs to have to be successful.

TheAliasTroll
    Participant

A buck twelve. With no OT. I don’t know what to think. I don’t think we’d have won with a full bench either, but of course that’s speculation. Creighton looked nice as heck.

Abu is best when he lets the game come to him. When he forces or tries to create he gives up easy baskets on the other end.

McCallum
    Participant

No defense = no big wins

State may surprise someone here or there but mastery of the mundane (defense) is the key to repeated overall success night in and night out.

Don’t get your hopes up.

McCallum

Texpack
    Participant

The glass half full analysis says we scored 95 against a ranked opponent and we played without three key players.

Other Thoughts

Anya is pathetic. He’s one decent big man recruit from having his scholly cancelled. He will go down as the biggest waste of potential in the last 25 years of Wolfpack Basketball.

We were way too thin to play that kind of pace against a really good team.

DSJ has a long way to go to be an above average ACC PG. His decision making is awful. He has no sense of when to take the quick shot and when to run the offense. He has a lot of physical talent and basketball skill but he is going to get taken to the cleaners in conference play if he doesn’t improve the mental part of his game dramatically.

Markell Johnson gives this team it’s best chance to be great this year. He plays reasonable defense and has a feel for the game that is well beyond the average freshman, much less the average HS Senior.

If you add Yurt and Kapita to the 3 point barrage of last night, we could be scary good on offense. A rotation of Abu, Kapita, and Yurt inside would be the best Gott has had and if you and GFK to Henderson shooting threes we can get after people with enough weapons to make defending us difficult.

37-3 still looks possible

Adventuroo
    Participant

Mixed feelings.

Flashes of offensive brilliance. Inconsistent

Fewer FLASHES of DEFENSE. Inconsistency or Stupidity or Poor Coaching. New coach is animated. DEFENSE DOES LOSE GAMES

Yurlseven is not, at least in the two EX games a Savior. He looked to me like a taller, thinner BJ. But, that may be unfair. Will not make a call on him until mid January. His maturity got stunted due to NCAA.

Depth was an issue. Blame Maverick, blame ADYow staff. Depth would not have been issue with longer possessions…on both ends. In fairness, aggressive Defense requires more energy.

Anya is a senior. He has poor eating habits & no will power. Personally observed him pigging out on his Birthday on March 9, which is same as my daughter. Really surprised at his contribution last night. He lasted 30 minutes.

Would Maverick & Kapita have saved us in the street brawl pickup game? Maybe, but a better coached team would have been my choice.

Maybe we ought to rename ourselves. The NCSU Maverick’s. If you are a Top Gun movie fan, we played like a squadron would fly if all the pilots were Pete Mitchell….and the radios were shutdown.

JeremyH
    Participant

The track meet style actually plays to our strengths, just not as helpful against a much deeper team on this night. Need to work on cutting down penetration, I hope there is a later video review and handing out of humble pie for when people get burned/slow rotation on defense.

JeremyH
    Participant

Y7 and Kapita will help sure up those posiions improving defense/rebounding and protect against foulfest strategy losses.

choppack1
    Participant

Defense not as much as issue in this game as some might think….

Creighton gave up 95 points….

Yep – true about our points, but disagree on defense. We allowed Creighton to shoot 60% for the game, 66% in the second half. That is only a little less than the “par”for foul shooting, which of course occurs without any defense.

OTOH, we shot under 50%. That’s why we lost. They got better looks because they were playing against our D, we got more contested looks because we were playing against theirs.

They played very fast, but also moved it around very well.

The good news is that we didn’t give up a lot of second shots.

The bad news is that the missing guys won’t likely help our D a ton. We missed what they could have brought on offense, but I dont think our offense can overcome that inconsistent execution defensively.

StateRed44
    Participant

^That’s a good. but sobering post. It seems we can only improve defensively. At times last night it seemed we were up against the Golden State Warriors. Not sure how that small forward of theirs torched us so bad from behind the arc, but frankly it seemed like every guy they had could produce offensively. They were a very good team. If they aren’t top 10 at some point this season it would shock me. They seemed better than even a Kansas or Villanova type team. Not much room for improvement for them. Defense can usually improve for us during the year though. I don’t remember many games in late Feb or March when we were complaining about defense under Gott.

StateRed44
    Participant

Other opinions, Smith Jr is good but needs to watch his chippyness. If he plays like that all year he will get a Technical at some point, hopefully not inopportune. Two dust ups in 2 games. Sometimes has bad body language. I’m nit picking, but he needs to get better all around to be what he was touted. Still likely our best player in waiting.

Abu just doesn’t have the hands to be great. He’s a hold your breath player. Omer will help because he can pass firstly and hit the shot (to be seen). Defensively, you can’t teach 7 feet. Kapita will be a monster if the one game was real and not a dream. Mav would have helped some last night, but defense aint his bag either.

StateRed44
    Participant

At this point I’m thinking 10 losses and hopeful to avoid the dreaded 8-9 slot.

choppack1
    Participant

State red – I thought Creighton looked great last night. They are obviously a very good team AND talented. Right now, we are just talented. I suspect our d will improve as the year goes on as well.

And definitely want to avoid any seed worse than a 6. (That’s kind of my line in the sand for this squad.)

ryebread
    Participant

Hmm… I’ll offer a slightly different view.

I expected to lose by double digits last night. Creighton is a good team, a deep team, one that can shoot, one that has older players, and one that has older players coming off the bench (accepting their roles). They’re in mid-late season form right now, as referenced by their win over Wisconsin and the fact that they blew out Wazzou. Take the name Creighton off the jersey and put the name Kansas or UCLA on there, would opinions change? How much is bias based on the “who?”

We on the other hand are down 3 out of our first 8 guys. It was a tall order to beat a team like that given we were so thin. Give me a rematch in January and I think we win. Our team has a lot more upside whereas I think Creighton is about maxed out.

I saw some pros:
    – DSJ: he’s improving.
    – M Johnson: We’re going to LOVE this kid by the time he’s done. He’s the steal of the recruiting class for us. He’s the best “pure” freshman PG we have had since Corch. DSJ is a better player, but he’s more of a combo.
    – Henderson came alive. We need that type of shooting to reach our goals this year.
    – Dorn is Dorn and that is a very solid all around player
    – Anya: People can pile on, but I thought he played a pretty good game and within himself. The issue is he doesn’t need to be out there 30 minutes. I think he can provide about the same impact in 8-12 minutes, and that would make him really effective.
    – I LOVED that we got chippy. We’ve been meek and passive for darn near 20 years. We’ve had a couple of players with mean streaks (Inge, Hodge, Javi), but I can’t remember the last time we’ve had a team ready to watch one another’s backs and go to fisticuffs if needed. It changed how the refs blew the whistle and it brought the team together for one more run. This bodes very well for the season.

There were some cons:
    – Defense sucked: Gott can’t teach man to man, period. We’ve been awful at it and foul a lot as a result. Last night given that difference in depth, the game plan should have been the match up zone. It should have been the plan at halftime when everyone had foul trouble. It’s like Gott has some religion there and doesn’t look objectively at what the evidence shows. I don’t know why we’d hire Shroyer, run the match up in both the exhibitions (and look great doing it) if we’re not going to play it in games.
    – Even expecting to lose, I knew we were in big trouble when we were something like 7-11 from the 3 and still only up 3.
    – I knew post halftime when Gott made those comments that the game was over. It was up there with “they’ve got to guard us too pal.” That halftime message should have been to slow it down, pack it in, ugly the game up and manage fouls. We shot as well as we possibly could have, tried running with them, racked up the fouls and still lost the first half. I don’t know who thought a good plan was more of the same.

This team goes as far as defense and coaching take them. The pieces are definitely there to reach every goal we have. It’s up to Gott to earn his pay.

Pack1997
    Participant

I agree Creighton is a good team. So while we have a L it is not a bad loss which is important. I have to remind myself mostly new coaches and mostly new players. They are all still learning how to play together etc. Thats what makes quality mid majors so tough, they have players that make it 4 years, and typically in the system. That senior leadership means a great deal especially early in the season.

As for the zone defense my only thought is maybe Gott thought with having 3 players out that we didn’t match up well with it. Time will tell.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 138 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.