2016 Basketball Outlook

Home Forums StateFans Basketball 2016 Basketball Outlook

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    redisgood
    Participant

And so it begins…

Sporting News have NC State ranked at #9 in their “Way Too Early” Top 25.

http://www.sportingnews.com/list/4640881-top-25-ranking-2015-16-way-too-early-virginia-arizona-north-carolina-unc-kentucky-kans

Hopefully this will not be a repeat of 2012 where high pre-season expectations were followed by a disappointing performance, driven by poor chemistry and a bunch of guys playing for their next jobs.

I don’t see that happening here. Other than Terry Henderson, there are no newcomers to mess with team chemistry (think Rodney Purvis), and everyone seems to genuinely get along. The 2012 team lost Painter so they were thin in the middle, and were relying on an inexperienced freshman in Purvis to take over the shooting guard position.

The team is deep, talented, and have good chemistry. I was thinking we would be around #15, but it’s good to see some optimism from someone other than nutty State fans.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    redisgood
    Participant

ESPN checks in with us at 17.

BJD95
    Keymaster

This is the chance at the year we’ve been waiting for. Our sphincters need to not be tight, yet we also need to be damned sure not to blow it. Walk that tightrope, men!

BJD95
    Keymaster

The only problem we have is PG depth. Almond Joy is really only a backup PG the way Rodney Monroe was Corch’s backup that one year (he could bounce it around a few minutes while Corch rested, but that was really all you’d better ask).

If Cat gets sick, hurt, or in foul trouble, we’re pretty boned. I presume we are scouting for a grad school transfer Alex Johnson/Des Lee clone to remedy that.

WolfWiz11
    Participant

I wish we weren’t preseason ranked. Paints a target on our backs, teams are gonna give us their best every night. I guess one could say that is to be expected and the guys should understand that, but, 2012. The world really did end that year.

BJD95
    Keymaster

Nope. We need to learn to live with the target. That’s the next step in our evolution. For people to know we’re coming and we beat them anyway. The swagger that DD and MG have each talked about.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster
    Wulfpack
    Participant

I wish we weren’t preseason ranked.

Well, we’re gonna be. We’re not going to sneak up on anyone next season with what we have coming back. We *should* be very good, as in top 4 in the league and potentially a top 4 seed in the Tourney. We’ll see what Gott and the boys can do with it.

tjfoose1
    Participant

This is the chance at the year we’ve been waiting for.

Reminds me of a quote I heard live back in 2008.

“We are the one’s we’ve been waiting for”

Let’s hope with a little less arrogance, a lot more competence, and a helluva lot more humility, next year has far better results.

MP
    Participant

We didn’t have a target on our back this year and we lost to WFU, Clemson at home, BC.

We didn’t have a target on our back this year and we beat Duke, UNC away and badly, Louisville away.

Target or not, we will either step up to our potential or not. Here’s to a hard-working offseason.

Tau837
    Participant

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2015/4/6/8356739/2015-2016-college-basketball-early-ranking-top-25-north-carolina-kentucky-virginia

Other ACC:
    1 – UNC
    2 – UVA
    8 – Duke
    19- ND
    23- L’ville

This set of rankings doesn’t seem credible, given what ND and Louisville are losing. I know Louisville has a strong recruiting class, but losing Jones, Harrell, Blackshear, and Rozier has to mean a step back. ND is losing Grant and Connaughton, their two best players. Even the Duke ranking looks suspect given what they will lose.

redisgood
    Participant

Duke’s ranking will depend on whether Tyus Jones returns. If he does, the ranking is probably in the right ballpark. And mark my words, Grayson Allen is going to rise to Top 5 most hated Dookie before he’s done. He is going to be a real pain in the backside the next 3 years. And he’s a dead ringer for that little psycho king from Game of Thrones.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

This set of rankings doesn’t seem credible…

Rankings this time of year are never really credible…especially since we don’t even know for sure who will be on most of the teams just yet. They are intended to generate clicks for the website and have the side benefit of giving us something to discuss.

Wufpacker
    Participant

How ’bout this then…

Pack finishes the ’14-’15 season as the USAToday/Coaches #24 ranked team.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

BJD95
    Keymaster

How ’bout this then…

Pack finishes the ’14-’15 season as the USAToday/Coaches #24 ranked team.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/

The staff and players certainly earned that recognition. Good job.

Tau837
    Participant

And mark my words, Grayson Allen is going to rise to Top 5 most hated Dookie before he’s done. He is going to be a real pain in the backside the next 3 years. And he’s a dead ringer for that little psycho king from Game of Thrones.

I agree with this and had been trying to figure out who he reminds me of, and you are spot on.

Wulfpack
    Participant

Allen is darned good. He may have such a breakout year next year it will be hello NBA.

wufpup76
    Keymaster

Let’s hope with a little less arrogance, a lot more competence, and a helluva lot more humility, next year has far better results.

^All of my yes. This where I think the “neighborhood” can be a positive in the mental edge / psychological department. For anyone out there pumping the players’ respective heads full of BS, all they need reminding of is how they’re looked at right here at home – 3rd, if not 4th, best. If that’s not motivation to put in the work and keep a level head then I don’t know what is.

And he’s a dead ringer for that little psycho king from Game of Thrones.

Loooooooooooooool. Just die his hair sandy blonde and yeppers. I could have a lot of fun with this, but will hold off b/c spoilers.

The staff and players certainly earned that recognition. Good job.

^Yes, they certainly did. Very worthy of that final ranking.

VaWolf82
    Keymaster

6 seed from Lunardi
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Other ACC Seeds:
    UVA – 1
    UNC – 1
    Duke – 2
    ND – 5
    L’ville – 5
    Miami – 7

Tau837
    Participant

Loooooooooooooool. Just die his hair sandy blonde and yeppers. I could have a lot of fun with this, but will hold off b/c spoilers.

We can just call him Joffrey from now on…

Rick
    Keymaster

Jerian Grant was ND.
    No way they are top 25 much less top 5.

PackerInRussia
    Participant

Agree about Grayson Allen. The next Duke white guy that everyone hates. He had a lot of good plays in the championship game. The one I remember most, though, was the whiplash phantom foul. Is that the new flop?

Speaking of 2016 Basketball Outlook, in this article about officials saying they didn’t see the ball-off-the-finger angle, when they actually did, there’s also this little nugget that some people will probably be glad to see if it happens:

Gavitt said the NCAA plans on naming a replacement for Adams within the next two weeks.

Gavitt would also like to see more nationalization of officials during the regular season, not just in the NCAA tournament.

“My hope is that with the change of leadership we will look at a more centralized group of officials,” Gavitt said. “There are now fewer numbers of coordinators at the conference level with agreements between conferences. The officials are independent coordinators. But we’re hoping that we can come together on this. It would take all the parties to come together.”

wufpup76
    Keymaster

“My hope is that with the change of leadership we will look at a more centralized group of officials,” Gavitt said. “There are now fewer numbers of coordinators at the conference level with agreements between conferences. The officials are independent coordinators. But we’re hoping that we can come together on this. It would take all the parties to come together.”

OMFG Hallelujah

redisgood
    Participant

JP Tokoto going pro? Has to be a late April Fool’s joke.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.