2014 Red & White (Spring Game)

Home Forums StateFans Football 2014 Red & White (Spring Game)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gowolves
    Participant

I am heading there this weekend. It’s been a while since I went last. I am looking forward to seeing the new faces and hopefully a new and improved team. I figure this team will never be a high(25 plus attempts) passing team but I hope to see some improved efficiency in the passing offense. Last year I thought it was bit premature to name Brissett the starter not even knowing what the freshmen could look like when they got here. I have been assured from someone who is there everyday that the QB situation will be just fine. Brissett is that good and it was a no brainier to announce him as the starter for 2014. Others here have said the same so I guess I am just late to the party or too skeptical at times. I also asked my source about the attitude of the team after the season and he said despite of everything it was pretty good.

From reading some local articles it seems that this team will be in better shape(strength and conditioning) per DD. I sure hope so because this team lost more than a few games at the line of scrimmage. This team has to be tougher in the trenches. Almost a nasty attitude. To me it seems they lacked that last year. I hope they spent a BOAT load of time on tackling. In this day in age a lot of kids just want highlight reels instead of consistent production.

Besides everyone staying healthy what are some of your expectations and things you want to see out of this spring practice(game)? Who do you expect to be an impact freshman for the game? And this year? For me I am watching the tackling and the number of mental errors on both sides of the ball.

TheCOWDOG

Wish I could add. I’ve only seen 2 R/W games in my lifetime. Kinda like Wilson, never played in one, either.

Baseball, and geographical distance…and my kid’s softball …

Timing will be off, shouldn’t be taken too seriously (‘Cept coaches) and enjoy a view of a competetive scrimmage.

Gowolves
    Participant

Jacoby looked real good. Timing was perfect. Bo Hines had a great first half. I think 8 catches for 118 yards. Creecy had two TD’s in the first half. A one yard run and 15 yard run. It was first team red on both sides of the ball. Defense looked good at times. Hard to really judge anything in this format. Brissett has an arm. Good throwing motion. He reminds me so much of RW. He pulled it down a few times and took off. I know that’s a bit premature just saying.

cWOhLFrPAiCKs
    Participant

Overall I thought both sides of the ball looked good for a spring game. Would have liked to see First Team vs First team to get a better idea of what each side is capable of. Jacoby was certainly impressive and o-line gave him plenty of time in the pocket for deep throws and kept lanes open for him when he wanted to run. If it wasn’t one-hand touch on the QBs he would have made several nice plays to extend drives and get some good yardage with his legs.

He missed a few long balls, but all but one were thrown out of bounds so they couldn’t be intercepted. His one interception was a bad throw, didn’t look off the safety enough and allowed him to make the play. But he came right back and found Underwood wide-open for a touchdown before the end of the half. Also seemed like his deep balls were more on target in the second half (the other TD to Underwood).

Bo Hines certainly looks like he’ll be a very valuable asset for Jacoby this season. Kid has great hands and good awareness when he catches the ball. Always made moves to get upfield, not a lot of dancing around.

Running game looks like it could still use a little work and I was surprised Shadrach didn’t get any reps with the first team, though that probably has a lot to do with his off-field issues and working himself back into the favor of the coaches.

Really liked the pressure and the relentlessness of the pass rush from the red team. They didn’t give the other QBs much time in the pocket and forced them to get rid of it quick.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.