The story of an absolutely WILD first half is Mike Glennon. Â Glennon wasÂ 20 of 29 for 328 yards and 4 touchdowns in just the first half!! Â His performance has been so outstanding that ESPN’s Reece Davis tweeted the following late in the first half.
This nc ncst game is crazy. Mike Glennon is tossing dimes. Even his interception was a pea.Â
* Mike Glennon is on his way to setting records for NC State today. Â He’s been given plenty of time from State’s offensive line that is missing two starters. Â Fore the first half, Glennon was 20 of 29 for 328 yards and 4 TDs.
* UNC had early success exploiting State’s linebackers, particularly with Gio Bernard out of the backfield.
* State receivers dropped 4 of Glennon’s passes in a few minute period near the end of the first quarter and begining of the second quarter. Â A 5th dropped ball – this one by Rashard Smith – with 3:20 to play in the second quarter landed in the hands of a Carolina defensive back for a crucial interception.
* Carolina’s efforts were boosted by a controversial on a play that was ruled a fumble that gave the Tar heels the ball deep in State territory and led to a touchdown.
* The Tar heels defense is tired. Â It is only going to get more tired as the day progresses.
First Quarter Summary
What a WILD first quarter that ended with Carolina leading 25-14. Mike Glennon was 10-14 for 146 yards and two scores (one 30 yards to Rashard Smith and one 32 yards to Charlie Hegedus as State doesn’t appear to have any problem moving the ball in the air against the Tar heel defense. Â Glennon has had ALL DAY to throw the ball.
Defensively, State’s linebackers have generally be ROASTED by UNC. The Tar heels have been very successful running reverses, flea flickers, surprise 2-point conversions and pretty much the kitchen sink. Bryn Renner is 11 of 15, 135 yards.
Unfortunately, the story of the first quarter was a controversial overturned call that makes me so mad that I can’t discuss it.
First Quarter Live Blogging Commentary
* Carolina had 4 first downs in the first 6 plays from scrimmage and showed more offensive innovation on their second play than we’ve shown since I can remember.
* At least or defense can’t say they are tired. It is 7-0 after just 1 minute and 41 seconds.
* Forgive me for needing to step away from the keyboard for a while after looking completely lost.
* 32 yard touchdown from Glennon to true freshman Charlie Hegedus from a formation that may have fooled Carolina. It’s Hegedus’ first career TD.
* Glennon is currently 7-8 for 79 yards and a TD so far today!!
* Defensively, our weakness at lineback and lack of overall athletic talent in the back seven could be our undoing today. Matching up w/ talented Bernard is an achilles heel for us. LB’s have already missed multiple tackles.
* Bernard got POPPED by Brandon Pittman. Totally clean hit. We’ll see how that impacts him.
* State has already used two timeouts in the first half. Hate to say it — but our coaching staff has had their ass kicked to this point in the game.
* RON CHERRY crew completely HOSES the Wolfpack. Holy shit I am pissed
The National Anthem has been played and there are currently a lot of empty seats in Kenan Stadium. (I know that is a surprise.)
Additionally, if you have other specific items that you want to discuss (either game related or otherwise), please integrate time on our super-active message forums (linked here). Our Twitter account is (linked here) to supplement any other Wolfpack needs you may have!!!