ACC in the MLB â€“ Part II
In this installment, we look at the 2012 MLB Draft and recent draft history of ACC teams, as well as some other stuff, including how the 2012 draft affects the Pack’s incoming baseball recruiting class.
After a very brief and quiet discussion in the comments section of our last installment, I got to wondering what was the easiest route I could take to shedding more light on whatever point I was trying to make. Rest assured, this is likely just a pointless follow up, and not the second installment of a pointless trilogy…but who knows?
Last time, I linked a piece from ACC Sports Journal (ACCSports.com) which featured ACC players in the Majors, and we looked at how those numbers compared to ACC teams’ recent history of success (or lack thereof), as well as looking at how the recent history of Wolfpack Baseball stacks up against the ACC’s other top baseball programs. Here is a quick review:
School (# Current MLB Players) â€“ Recent Program Highlights
- Miami (8) â€“ Natâ€™l Champs â€™01; ACC Champs â€™08; CWS app â€™01, â€™03, â€™04, â€™06, â€™08; Forty-two consecutive NCAA bids (1971-2012)
- Carolina (7) â€“ ACC Champs â€™07; CWS app â€™06, â€™07, â€™08, â€™09,â€™11; Eleven consecutive NCAA bids (2002-2012)
- Georgia Tech (6) â€“ ACC Champs â€™00, â€™03, â€™05, â€™12; CWS app â€™02, â€™06; NCAA bids 12 of past 13 yrs (â€™00-â€™06,â€™08-â€™12)
- Virginia (6) â€“ ACC Champs â€™09, â€™11; CWS app â€™10, â€™11; Nine consecutive NCAA bids (â€™04-â€™12)
- Clemson (5) â€“ ACC Champs â€™06; CWS app â€™00, â€™02, â€™06, â€™10; NCAA bids 24 of past 25 yrs (1987-2007, â€™09-â€™12)
- Florida State (4) â€“ ACC Champs â€™02, â€™04, â€™10; CWS app â€™00, â€™08, â€™10, â€™12; Thirty-five consecutive NCAA bids (1978-2012)
- NC State (2) â€“ NCAA bids 9 of past 10 yrs (â€™03-â€™08, â€™10-â€™12); NCAA Regional Host & Super Regional app â€™03, â€™08, â€™12
- Virginia Tech (1) â€“ NCAA bids in â€™00 (as a member of the BE) and â€™10
- Boston College (1) â€“ NCAA bid in â€™09
- Duke (1) -
- Maryland (1) -
- Wake Forest (0) â€“ ACC Champs ’01, NCAA bids ’00, ’01, ’02, ’07, ’09
This time around, in addition to looking at the 2012 MLB Draft, I thought it might pass for interesting to include numbers of players selected in the MLB draft since 2000, as well as number of players which made a major league team since 2000. It should be noted that this last item is ONLY players who have made their major league debut since 2000 (it is NOT the number of players who have played in a major league game since 2000).
|ACC in the MLB|
|ACC Teams||2012 Draft||**Players drafted since 2000||***Players with MLB debut since 2000||*Current MLB Players|
- * According to ACCSportsJournal.com (see discussion here)
- ** Compiled from Baseball-Reference.com
- *** Compiled from Baseball-Almanac.com
Aside from an interesting outlier here and there, the pattern of “haves” and “have nots” seems to hold pretty closely. I’ll leave it to the readers to decide where that line should be drawn and on which side of it NC State Baseball falls.
2012 NC State Recruiting and the Draft
|Player/Recruit||Draft Pick||Position||School||MLB Team/Organization||Signed ?|
|Ryan Warner||3rd Rd, #128||RHP||Pine Creek HS (CO)||Colorado Rockies||Yes|
|Brett Phillips||6th Rd, #189||OF||Seminole HS (FL)||Houston Astros||Yes|
|Rowan Wick||9th Rd, #300||C/OF||Cypress College (CA)||St. Louis Cardinals||Yes|
|Nick Pasquale||20th Rd, #623||RHP||Diablo Valley JC (CA)||Cleveland Indians||Yes|
|Matt Tenuta||25th Rd, #763||LHP||Apex HS (NC)||Kansas City Royals||Yes|
|Brad Stone||35th, #1086||LHP||Ardrey Kell HS (NC)||Texas Rangers||?|
Also, Jr. All-American SS Chris Diaz (11th Rd, #346 â€“ Pittsburgh), who could have decided to return for his senior season, made the wise choice to ink with the Pirates.Â Big thanks to Dr.BadgerPack for updates on signings
Updated Omaha Update
For those not following, the Gamecocks are now one step closer to their three-peat.Â South Carolina fought it’s way out of the loser’s bracket to force a sudden death championship game against Arkansas in their half of the CWS bracket, outlasting the Razorbacks 3-2 and advancing to face Arizona in a best of three for the CWS Championship beginning Sunday.