Here in the interest of public service, we thought that we here at Statefans NationÂ would post a few cupcake recipes for that fast-rising Travel Network AND Food Network star, Starvin’ Marvin Austin, soon to be formerly of UNC’s Tar Heel football team.
First of all since he’ll almost certainly not get to play in the Orange Bowl, perhaps he can console himself with a plate of chicken and rice, with a few dozen of these to top off a meal so good that he’ll be shouting out “Nan nany boo boo u canâ€™t get none!”
â€¢ 1Â 3/4 cup cake flour (see tip)
â€¢ 1 cup sugar
â€¢ 1/2 teaspoons salt
â€¢ 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
â€¢ 2 large eggs, separated and whites beaten until stiff
â€¢ 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
â€¢ 1/2 cup orange juice, mixed with free champagne from LIV
â€¢ 1 stick of butter, softened
Orange Cupcake Recipe Directions
Combine butter, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla in a mixing bowl.Â Cream these ingredients together thoroughly.
Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together in a separate mixing bowl.Â Add dry ingredients to creamed ingredients 1/3 at a timeÂ alternating with adding portions of the orange juice to the creamed mixture.
Fold in beaten egg whites.Â Spoon batter into cupcake liners until 1/2 full.
Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool cupcakes completely before frosting with Orange Icing.
Also, since Marvin ostensibly plays football , perhaps he could host some of his
ho’s wholesome young ladies at his luxurious South Beach digs with some cupcake decorating tips:
Game Day Cupcake Ideas
With the football season fast approaching, many of us have already started making food preparation plans for our tailgates and games we catch at home.Â Since it seems very likely that Starvin’ Marvin will be home watching games this season instead of actually playing in them, we thought we’d pass along some of our wives’ favorite tips for creating the perfect food for the perfect atmostphere!
Cupcakes are an ideal food for a game day get together because everyone can help themselves, and there is no mess to clean up afterwards. Try one or more of our cupcake ideas below, and your VIP Room guests will surely be pleased!
1. Frost cupcakes with team colors. Make a football field using one sheet of green poster board and white tape to mark the field lines. I pipe white numbers on the cupcakes that correspond to the starting lineups of each team. Arrange the cupcakes on the field.
2. Mini football helmets. You can find small football helmets corresponding to each team competing. Frost the cupcakes with team colors, and place a helmet on top. These cupcakes can also be displayed on the green poster board football.
3. Football shaped toothpicks. Football shaped toothpicks are available for purchase at your local party store. Insert these toothpicks into cupcakes that have been frosted green or frosted with your favorite team’s color.
4. Draw football shapes on each cupcake. Using brown decorator’s gel, you can draw a football on each cupcake. Use white gel to pipe on the football’s stitching.
5. Bake cupcakes in the shape of a football. You can purchase cupcake pans, like the new silicone ones (don’t use a sex toy!), with the wells shaped like footballs. Be sure you spray the pans with nonstick butter spray before filling. This well help make removal of your cupcakes much easier.
6. Cut round cupcakes into football shapes. You can bake regular round cupcakes and cut them into football shapes. This one requires a little extra time, but they turn out really nice. After the cupcakes cool, peel off the baking cups. Using a really sharp knife, cut your cupcakes into football shapes. Dust off the crumbs with a pastry brush before frosting and decorating.
7. Make goal posts out of popsicle sticks. Cut 2 popsicle sticks in half with sharp scissors. Glue the sticks together into the shape of a goalpost. Insert into cupcakes decorated with candies.
8. M&M Super Bowl cupcakes. Order M&Ms in the colors of your favorite team.Â Â Light blue ones are very hard to find, but they can possibly be special ordered, or use the colors of your new team, who-ever that may be.Â Decorate your cupcakes with these M&Ms after frosting. I like to cover my cupcakes completely with M&Ms.
9. Brown M&M footballs. Use brown M&Ms to make a football shape on top of your cupcakes. Put the M&Ms on at the last minute before serving. The candy coating won’t come off as much if you wait to put the M&Ms on until right before displaying.
10. One letter per cupcake team cheer. Use cupcakes frosted with a team’s colors and decorate each cupcake with one letter to spell out a team cheer. For example, GO TEAM! would need 7 cupcakes to spell it. You can display the cupcakes on your food table so they add decoration as well as being a tasty treat!
Finally, a Florida favorite, especially in the Miami-Dade area, is of course the Key Lime, which is grown down there and is highly prized for its culinary value in recipes. Of course, if one is having dessert for dinner, that’s alright, especially when someone else is picking up the bill, but still, for the man who likes to do things himself AND be right in tune with the local flavors, there’s always these:
Key Lime Cupcakes
â€¢ 2 cups all purpose flour
â€¢ 1 1/2 cups sugar
â€¢ 1/2 teaspoon salt
â€¢ 3/4 cup Dom Perignon Champagne, free at the LIV Room
â€¢ 1/2 cup oil (don’t use it ALL on the ladies!)
â€¢ 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
â€¢ 7 large eggs, separated
â€¢ 2 teaspoons grated key lime rind
â€¢ 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Key Lime Cupcakes Recipe Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 cupcake pans with paper liners.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add shortening, milk, and vanilla. Beat 7 egg yolks in a separate bowl, and add to dry ingredients along with the water, oil, vanilla and key lime rind. Mix with mixer at medium speed while scraping bowl until well blended. (approximately 2 1/2 minutes)
In another large mixing bowl, combine egg whites and cream of tartar. Mix at high speed 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or until egg whites are stiff.
Carefully fold flour mixture into egg whites until just blended.
Pour cupcake batter into paper liners until 1/2 to 2/3 full.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly.
Cool cupcakes completely in pans then drizzle with key lime glaze.
To make key lime glaze combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon melted butter in a small mixing bowl. Stir in 2 – 3 tablespoons of key lime juice (mixed with Dom Perignon, of course!) until slightly thin glaze consistency is reached. Drizzle over key lime cupcakes.
We think that with this helpful advice, Young Marvin will certainly be the hit in any champagne room, pool party of even DC-area five star hotel, especially the toney Fountainbleu with its LIV Room, a place that Starvin’ Marvin may never find himself thirsty in, but may be wanting a bite to eat. At $700 a bottle, Dom Perignon is a bargain to help wash down the sugary deliciousness!