Nice set-up with its own website.
* 3rd in Best Overall Public University Value among public universities (U.S. News & World Report, 2009)
* 5th among colleges of veterinary medicine (U.S. News & World Report, 2006)
* 6th best value among the nationâ€™s public colleges and universities (Princeton Review, 2009)
* 18th best value among the nationâ€™s colleges and universities (Kiplingerâ€™s Personal Finance, 2008)
* 13 graduate programs among top 30 public universities
* 6th in Engineering Doctorates awarded among official 16 peers
* 11th among American Public Research Universities (Center for Measuring University Performance, 2007)
From my first experience on campus as an assistant professor of engineering mechanics in 1968 until today, I have held a special affection for North Carolina State University. Therefore, it is a particular honor for me to serve this university at this time.
Looking back over the past year, Iâ€™m struck by both the history and the promise of this institution. The unique land-grant mission of NC State has led to our playing a pivotal role in the advancement of North Carolina and its citizens through the years. This is a place of innovative teaching, where students are prepared for careers in a fast-movingâ€”and quickly shrinkingâ€”world.
It is a place of innovative research, where outstanding faculty are discovering and exploring solutions that are shaping the way we deal with our problems. It is a place of statewide extension, where the work of the university reaches well beyond campus boundaries.
The following pages highlight some of the people who exemplify the spirit of NC State. They are creators and innovators, healers and teachers. Their missionâ€”and oursâ€”is to fulfill the promise of this institution, to find solutions to difficult problems, strengthen the economic health of our communities and improve the lives of our citizens.
Please join me in celebrating that spirit as we look to the future with confidence and hope.