You can use this entry for various conversations with so many different things going on out there.
State 78 Lipscomb 58
Thrust into a suddenly prominent lineup spot, Julius Mays outfought two Lipscomb players for a defensive rebound and hustled the ball up the court without hesitation Saturday as N.C. State tried to widen its lead.
After dribbling to the top of the key, Mays whipped a pass to Trevor Ferguson in front of the N.C. State bench. Ferguson hit one of the three second-half 3-pointers he made in N.C. Stateâ€™s 78-58 win at the RBC Center.
A freshman from Marion, Ind., Mays made the most of his first career start Saturday. He replaced injured sophomore Javi Gonzalez and wound up tying a Wolfpack team season high with seven assists.
Mays also scored nine points and did not commit a turnover despite an overall sluggish performance by N.C. State.
- In 24 minutes in his first start Mays did NOT commit a turnover while scoring 9 points on 4 of 8 shooting; dished out 7 assists and landed 1 steal andÂ 2 rebounds.
- It is always nice to see a balanced roster with different players leading the State each night, but it is particularly nice to see freshman Julius Mays adjusting to the college game so quickly.Â If the Pack is going to have any chance of making some noise this year then they are going to need unexpectedly strong play fromÂ the young players in the backcourt.
- I attended the State-Davidson game and itÂ Mays appeared very comfortable while in the game.Â I remember him driving the lane a couple of times and hit a nice floater on one drive.Â Barring any improvement by Javi Gonzalez, if Mays continues efficient offensive production then the comfort in Mays ability toÂ execute offensively would elevate him over Gonzalez in many Wolfpackers minds.
Around the dial
- Purdue beats Davidson like a drum.Â I told some friends of mine here in Charlotte that this was going to happen.Â Without Jason Richars this Davidson is partly living off the glow of last year’s run.Â Mark my words – this team will NOT make the Final 8 without one lucky draw in the NCAA.Â
- YES…I fully acknowledge that Davidson defeatedÂ NC State this year.Â I also fully acknowledge that the Wildcats could barely pull out the victory in the last secondsÂ withÂ ALL of the following working Â
- a home court
- an officiating job so bad that it ranked alongside a visit to Cameron orÂ the Smith Center
- a miraculous performance from a single player
- injuries toÂ three of NC State’s best six players (Farnold Degand, Courtney FellsÂ & Tracy Smith)Â
- How is this one for some fun — NC State squeaks into the NCAA Tournament as a 12th seed this year and gets a re-match with a 5-seeded Davidson?Â I know that you are skeptical…but, at least one local follower of the ACC thinks the Wolfpack has a shot at that 12th seed – see Dan Wiederer’s power projections.
- Wake Forest avenges their loss that should have never happened against Navy today and starts the ACC’s Bowl season with a win.
- Duke dominates Sean Miller’s Xavier on the road.Â Another nice one for the ACC to add to our list.
- Yes, that IS Darth Vader (and some Stormtroopers) with Thad Matta.Â WTF?
Video courtesy of Palestra.