Yesterday, we did a big analysis outlining some potential bowl scenarios of ACC teams (with, of course, a primary focus on NC State).
Today, it seems that some of the events that we expected have come to fruition and the ACC’s bowl picture seems to be lining up pretty clearly. The key variable now becomes this weekends football games — if North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Virginia, &/or Florida State were to pull unexpected upsets in their games against Virginia Tech, Georgia, Miami, and/or Florida then the picture could shuffle somewhat.
– Word spread yesterday and last night that was clear that the ACC office has exercised its muscle and told the Champs Bowl that they need to take Boston College over the obviously preferred Clemson Tigers (who would have sold significantly more tickets in Orlandao).
– Clemson is now going to Charlotte. where they were highly coveted.
– This leaves Georgia Tech at 7-4, Viginia 6-5, NC State or Maryland 6-5.
– Georgia Tech officials have indicated that they would turn down an invitation to Boise.
– Since Virginia played in Boise last year, it now appears that winner of Saturday’s Maryland @ NC State game is Boise bound.
– If Georgia Tech is heading to the Music City Bowl in Nashville, then Virginia is most likely going to face Utah in the Emerald Bowl, unless the Liberty Bowl or some other option is more attractive. I highly doubt that would happen since the ACC enters into a contracted agreement with the Emerald Bowl next season. It would not be good for the relationship to screw the Emerald as they are seeking an at-large team.
Currently, here is what I see:
(1) BCS Virginia Tech is assumed to be ACC Champ
(2) Gator (Jacksonville)– Miami The in-state Canes wonâ€™t play in Jacksonville the ACC Championship
(3) Peach (Atlanta)– Florida State The Peach has been salivating for years to get FSU. Rumor has it that Peach wants Spurrier & South Carolina to battle Bowdenâ€™s boys, which would also eliminate any thought of Clemson
(4) Champs Sports (Orlando) – Boston College Despite free-market forces that say otherwise, the ACC Office supports the Eagles for a bid comprable with what they have earned.
(5) Meineke Car Care (Charlotte)– Clemson Charlotte’s Bowl will have another successful year (as long as weather cooperates).
(6) MPC Computers (Boise) – Winner of NC State vs Maryland
(7) Music City (Nashville) – Georgia Tech To be fair, this bowl is better than Boise and the Yellow Jackets deserve a better bowl than the Pack or the Terps.
(8) Virgina (at-large) – Emerald Bowl?
I guess the Champs Sports Bowl could justifiably take Georgia Tech over Boston College. This would become even more justifiable if Tech were to beat Georgia this weekend. IMHO, a GT win this weekend is still not enough to propel them into the Peach. (Not much will ever work towards GT playing a bowl game in their home town.)
Charlotte will not move off Clemson for anything. That is a done deal. Therefore, GT to Orlando would ultimately drop Boston College to Boise, who would love to have the Eagles. This would work well for State & Virginia to split the Music City and Emerald Bowls.